oneohtwo

OEM Parts during lockdown

Have you got the part numbers for the bits your looking for ? We can see what is out there- never used Mapco or Ruville myself and dont know much about them. 

I do: 

1H0-199-262/K.

Had a search on ebay which only turned up Mapco (and JP/Topran). Autodoc only has Ruville - it's odd, plenty of manufacturers do the left rear gearbox mount, like febi, Meyle, plus loads I've never heard of (Ridex, Fortune Line, Maxgear etc... ) but the right rear is nowhere to be found. I guess the left rear must have compatibility with more models, and the right rear was just the Corrado.  AVS often turn up rare parts, but only have JP, you may have more luck than me though!

53 minutes ago, oneohtwo said:

I do: 

1H0-199-262/K.

Had a search on ebay which only turned up Mapco (and JP/Topran). Autodoc only has Ruville - it's odd, plenty of manufacturers do the left rear gearbox mount, like febi, Meyle, plus loads I've never heard of (Ridex, Fortune Line, Maxgear etc... ) but the right rear is nowhere to be found. I guess the left rear must have compatibility with more models, and the right rear was just the Corrado.  AVS often turn up rare parts, but only have JP, you may have more luck than me though!

Pretty bad choice out there I would say JP is your best bet or a Vibratech sports mount just depends what your after. vibra have a road and ( competition harsh) version. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Corrado-Vento-Mk3-Golf-Rear-Engine-Mount-1H0199262k/303560615756?hash=item46ad9f674c:g:9G4AAOSwBBVelx6a

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG885M-Vibra-technics-RH-Rear-Engine-Mount-fits-VW-Corrado/301605129876?epid=1525263476&hash=item4639110e94:g:kPgAAOxy79VRchw6

Edited by Keyo

Topran and JP are mostly rubbish and not worth buying imho for the cost savings, as you will be doing the job again soon enough if you go with them.

Heritage are 50/50, and unless it's a Classics part are bit like GSF in that they will stock components at different quality levels and prices.

If it is engine mounts and top suspension mounts you are looking for, have you actually tried a dealer? These were common across a number of models, and VW Classic Parts won't stock a part if it is still part of dealer inventory. I got top mounts and engine and gearbox mounts, all VAG, 2 years ago no problem.

As Keyo says above - it's also always worth getting the EXACT part number you need and plugging that into Google and fleaBay - you'd be surprised what's out there. There might be a few dead ends and red herrings, but something will turn up. Keep in mind that just because the parts are not available in the UK dealers, that doesn't mean the same thing elsewhere - there used to be a number fo German VW dealers that would sell parts abroad over the Internet, but they seem to have stopped now - I used to get a lot of stuff from Autohaus Schlagheck, but you will now find a lot of Baltic and Eastern European sellers online as the cars have become popular there.

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

I'd agree the front and gearbox (left) competition mounts would make a noticeable difference, but there isn't a lot of weight placed on the rear right mount so I don't think it would be. I have a fast road front and rear right mount and they're not harsh at all. It's not like suspension so it doesn't affect drivability. I did have a rear left fast road too, but noticed the noise of the gearbox in the cabin which always had me on edge that there was something wrong. I changed back to standard on that one.

I think the consensus is that the gearbox mount should be left standard, and the other two can be upgraded with only a minor increase in cabin vibrations.

I have a diesel golf gearbox mount fitted, research says it’s a bit stronger. Also don’t forget the 4 bushes in the front engine mount bracket/support as old ones get a bit squishy and allow the engine to move on those too. 

5 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I have a diesel golf gearbox mount fitted, research says it’s a bit stronger. Also don’t forget the 4 bushes in the front engine mount bracket/support as old ones get a bit squishy and allow the engine to move on those too. 

Yep - I remember this as popular mod for 8v/16v 4cyl cars. I'm not sure, but I think the VR gearbox mount is already uprated, as I seem to remember looking for a diesel one at the time but went for standard in the end.

17 hours ago, fendervg said:

If it is engine mounts and top suspension mounts you are looking for, have you actually tried a dealer? 

As Keyo says above - it's also always worth getting the EXACT part number you need and plugging that into Google and fleaBay.

Yeah, tried the dealer but obsolete apparently. I've got the part number as above (I think 1H0-199-262/D appears also to be correct, rather than /K, not sure what the difference is) which turned up Topran/JP mostly, plus the Ruville and Mapco. Done a bit more digging and I think this is full list of parts manufacturers for the mount:

http://www.kakapart.com/oem/partscrossinterchange/vw-1h0199262k.html

Probably wouldn't use that site for anything else, but seems useful for getting a list of part numbers and manufacturers. The "known" names on the list of Febi and Lemforder don't seem to produce them any more (searched the part nos. and checked Lemforder's online catalogue). Few available here:

https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/1h0199262d-oen

Again, not heard of most of them. Corteco appear to be American (pricey on there!) Metzger and Optimal are German. Optimal seems to be a mix of German and cheap parts, no idea on Metzger. 

Ruville are part of the Schaeffler Group who also own LuK and INA so I think they're probably reputable, and I may just give them a go. Vibra is an idea as I've got the front as, but ideally didn't want to spend that much!

Called up Johnsons my local VW dealer for some parts got put on hold , then no answer then tried again to know success - that's it never using them sloppy sloths again. Now I just send Tania an email at Listers VW Stratford Upon Avon with part numbers - she then emails an invoice which you can pay electronically - parts get sent in post - job is a good one. 

You did right in sending the Topran Rear engine mount back - like you I was out of options and couldn't find a decent replacement. 

I've fitted it but I'm not happy with it at all - I needed to twist it slightly at the top to get the locator hooks aligned properly, and if I rock the engine up and down now on that side, there's a bit of a 'thunk' like somethings not quite fastend tightly enough. But all bolts, both the two on the bottom and the one on the top are torqued up correctly.

When driving, you can feel the engine moving around in there, particualrly when you put your foot down in low gear, and despit the fact I've got a Vibratechnics front mount.

I'm seriously considering going for a Vibratechnics rear mount. 

In fairness there should be a bit of movement there - that’s kind of the purpose, and to dampen vibrations and noise. I wouldn’t like to drive a car with solid mounts.

But it’s hard to judge how much is enough, especially in older cars.

There are also a number of smaller bushings or mounts on the subframe I think - these might be worth checking.

Yep, got the Ruville one in the end. Box says designed in Germany engineered worldwide so who knows... it was at least stamped with the logo, which the Topran wasn't. It looks decent enough by eye, but can never really tell. Limited options though, so take what you can I guess.

30 minutes ago, oneohtwo said:

Yep, got the Ruville one in the end. Box says designed in Germany engineered worldwide so who knows... it was at least stamped with the logo, which the Topran wasn't. It looks decent enough by eye, but can never really tell. Limited options though, so take what you can I guess.

Good on you mate I would of gone for the same option . If you still have the topran one you could weigh them to see if the rubber is denser which I think would suggest it is better quality. 

Edited by Keyo