Cressa

DAB question

Ok, this question is for future proofing. I have a Hitschmann DAB aerial that I used on my Golf GTi Edition 30 and was considering putting it in the Corrado. 

As I have no trim in it would be easy to route some cables at the moment. 

Just a thought 💡 Would you do it ? 

I'm so covid bored obviously

20200408_185649.jpg

The antenna looks stock so for me, it's a good upgrade and allows far better options as you can fit 'retro' looking radios but have modern functionality. 👍

Looks the part - will it still give normal FM reception? Would work great with the new Blaupunkt DAB retro unit.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:09 AM, fendervg said:

Looks the part - will it still give normal FM reception? Would work great with the new Blaupunkt DAB retro unit.

Worked totally fine before so I have no reason to doubt it now. I just need to search for some wiring.  It did have a fakra connection added to it, but I dont think I need that for an old VW

15864218178165650631144617412727.jpg

Edited by Cressa
Speling correction

I’m interested in fitting something like this as well. I guess it’s gonna need all new wiring right back to the radio? How about power? Do you use that blue wire at the back of the radio that never seems to get used?

There should be power to the stock aerial anyway - it has a little pre-amp in the base and is driven from the head unit - think that is the blue wire, yes. You'll see this wiring clearly if you pull the headlining down a little at the rear to access the aerial base from underneath. It earths back through the bodywork.

Unfortunately not all were powered, if the first photo is of your original aerial it’s not powered. 

The base isnt powered as Shaun says. There is some kind of powered inline booster to the aerial behind the stereo 

Martin, I intend on running a DAB lead alongside the other via the passenger A post and roof. Plenty of different connector adaptors, but it would be nice to get the correct lead. Shame they mainly seem to be 5m long...shorter would be nice 

For the power I was thinking of running this on the opposite side to avoid interference. I was going to use a 2 core cable so that I have power to both FM and DAB. Too clever for me to understand why they cant share the same power!!

Would they be fused  independently or maybe the radio switches from one to the other with power from the radio. I too have no idea and only guessing 

27 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Unfortunately not all were powered, if the first photo is of your original aerial it’s not powered. 

Ah ok - I thought they were all powered, at least from the early 90s onwards, as both my Mk2 and VR have them.

it could also be that the original area was removed when an after-market stereo was fitted and replaced with an un-amplified one - the small pre-amps fitted on the head unit side are not standard for VWs and tend to come from Halfords or a motor factors. One of the reasons for this is that reception will often be pants if you fit an after-market unit with the original area and leave it unpowered.

7 hours ago, fendervg said:

Ah ok - I thought they were all powered, at least from the early 90s onwards, as both my Mk2 and VR have them.

it could also be that the original area was removed when an after-market stereo was fitted and replaced with an un-amplified one - the small pre-amps fitted on the head unit side are not standard for VWs and tend to come from Halfords or a motor factors. One of the reasons for this is that reception will often be pants if you fit an after-market unit with the original area and leave it unpowered.

It's off my VR and is a geuine part. There isn't a power wire up by the aerial !!

Interestingly whilst wasting an hour of my life searching for cables and connectors,  the AM/FM connector of the aerial fits directly onto the existing cable. It will just need some tape to ensure it stays secure

I’m interested in fitting something like this as well. I guess it’s gonna need all new wiring right back to the radio? How about power? Do you use that blue wire at the back of the radio that never seems to get used?

4 hours ago, easypops said:

I think I remember reading that the blue wire was for speed/volume auto adjustment. Not sure it was ever used in UK or even European cars, but can't say for sure it was used in the US market either... May have been a radio dependant option.

The blue/white (might be grey) wire is for GALA (speed dependent volume control) -- it is splices into the spoiler control module feed and comes from the gearbox speed sensor. If it's left bare and earths accidentally it can cause problems with the spoiler.

The VW Gamma 4 and a few others had this functionality, it's actually very hande - to set, pull out the tone knob to second position and to off, then set the volume at standstill to what you want, then drive at a steady 60 and adjust until the volume is right - after that it adjusts automagically!

The aerial amp wire is solid blue.

Edited by fendervg

Hi Cressa, did you get any further with this, or are you waiting for the respray  to be done before finishing the job? Or am I confusing cars?! I am keen to do the same thing soon, ideally at the same time as a sunroof replacement when the lining will be down anyway. I’m a born again owner now- they didn’t have these challenges in the nineties! (Tbh, most of the issues I face now weren’t a problem back then 🙂) Any help/hints appreciated... Cheers, Tim

14 hours ago, TimA said:

Hi Cressa, did you get any further with this, or are you waiting for the respray  to be done before finishing the job? Or am I confusing cars?! I am keen to do the same thing soon, ideally at the same time as a sunroof replacement when the lining will be down anyway. I’m a born again owner now- they didn’t have these challenges in the nineties! (Tbh, most of the issues I face now weren’t a problem back then 🙂) Any help/hints appreciated... Cheers, Tim

Born again owner, love it. I got the car back earlier I  the week so this project isn't finished yet as I work my way through fitting everything.  I did run a dab wire alongside the original in the clips up to the aerial. It is on my list to do.....

I have bought some 2 core cable and will connect these at the aerial base before the roof lining is fitted.  I can then check the FM is working, but with not having a DAB head unit that's as far as it goes. I will connect the FM powered base side at the head unit and probably protect the dab wire there, incase the voltage where to come back down 

That's all my thoughts on it for now. If anyone can suggest anything else then feel free. I will put a picture up of the dab wire so far.

Good uck with the sunroof swap. A mk3 golf motor and cleaning/lubricating the area are a great upgrade for them

Many thanks, and good luck with that👍🏻

is the car looking shiny and new now-? Any pics  , or have I just overlooked these in another thread?

Oh it's very shiny now. It has its own thread finally after 6 years.  Karmann the Corrado ..