Cressa

Karmann the Corrado

26 minutes ago, oneohtwo said:

What's the pipe with the blue clip on? I don't recognise it.

If you're looking for the crank sensor you're best off going from the underside of the car. As Dox says it is by the oil cooler, and just above the sump. I changed mine not too long ago and this was really the only access. There is a small socket head cap bolt that secures the sensor.

Cam sensor is, I think, in the chain cover housing towards the rear.

That pipe is one the aircon ones. I eventually found it underneath,  thanks. Still not a great amount of room. Taken out, cleaned and put back in as there isn't much else I can do with it today. 

She started fine but has a lumpy idle and the exhaust fume smell is horrible. 

I also took the Camshaft sensor off, cleaned, tested and put it back. Not really sure of how it is, but I did test for resistance at it. 

13 ohms between 1+2

8 ohms between 2+3

I shall try and source the genuine items and change both of these as I believe them to be the original fitted items.  

Change each 1 and try the car. I did record her starting just need to upload it when I am back home 

Why did you change yours and did it solve the issue? Also where did you get it from?

Thanks gents 👍

I changed mine due to some odd running issues at the time. This was all before the engine rebuild. The engine had cut out on the M25 - it was a very hot day and the traffic had slowed due to an incident further up. From memory the revs suddenly started dying/hunting so I made it to the hard shoulder, but it wouldn't start again. I seem to remember having to avoid a fire engine barrelling down the hard shoulder as I limped over!

The car did eventually start again after half an hour, so quite possibly was heat related rather than anything. But they were some rough running issues generally as well and someone on here suggested swapping the sensor out. It wasn't long after that though I rolled it into the garage and commenced the rebuild as I could hear the chains rattling, so I can't really say if it fixed anything. There should be a post on here about it somewhere. Maybe even in my thread.

I got a Valeo one from Autodoc I think.

Do  you think it could have jumped a tooth on the timing?

It might be worth checking static timing?

5 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

This was the thread to the crank sensor issue if you're interested:

M25 Breakdown - Engine Bay - The Corrado Forum (the-corrado.net)

Funny how the memory works, we actually came to a complete stop and I turned the engine off but it wouldn't turn on and I had to push the car onto the hard shoulder.

I had a good read, thanks

I decided to put a scan on her tonight and guess what, NO FAULT FOUND apart from the speed signal usual.

Strangely I then started her, all good then it dropped the revs and went lumpy, then back to being good.  Revved smoothly and dropped fine but with what seems a slightly lower idle.

See recording 

Messing with the sensors has definitely done something, so I shall get these changed. Perhaps it is heading in the right direction  🤞

Check out the mileage. Hopefully I may get to do another couple 😁

Screenshot_20220807-214122_Gallery.jpg

5 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

This was the thread to the crank sensor issue if you're interested:

M25 Breakdown - Engine Bay - The Corrado Forum (the-corrado.net)

Funny how the memory works, we actually came to a complete stop and I turned the engine off but it wouldn't turn on and I had to push the car onto the hard shoulder.

Did that sort your warm starting issue?

I think it improved things, although I can't exactly remember. I definitely didn't break down again after but I don't think the engine ran brilliantly still.

What you've described there sounds quite similar to the issue I had recently where it was idling really badly. Have you reset done the ECU reset? Mine seemed to just sort itself out after a while, which was a bit odd. 

Also not sure if you know but to get it to scan the ABS properly you need to drop the latency on your USB port. 

🤔🙈 what does drop the latency on your USB mean in simple English 😇

It’s taking too long to copy the data or read it get a faster USB

3 hours ago, Dogma said:

It’s taking too long to copy the data or read it get a faster USB

Now this is still blowing my mind 🤣🤣 The usb lead has the vcds plug on it, which I plug into my lads laptop.... 

How would I make that faster?

It works fine on my Passat and other vehicles,  but would be nice to look at the Corrado controllers better

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

Now this is still blowing my mind 🤣🤣 The usb lead has the vcds plug on it, which I plug into my lads laptop.... 

How would I make that faster?

It works fine on my Passat and other vehicles,  but would be nice to look at the Corrado controllers better

i think they are referring to the fact that there are different speeds of USB cable, ideally you want a USB 3 if possible as these can handle a higher data throughput

however, it may be that whatever you are using is not corrado compatible

IIRC you cant read much through the OBD1 port

18 hours ago, Cressa said:

I decided to put a scan on her tonight and guess what, NO FAULT FOUND apart from the speed signal usual.

Strangely I then started her, all good then it dropped the revs and went lumpy, then back to being good.  Revved smoothly and dropped fine but with what seems a slightly lower idle.

See recording 

Messing with the sensors has definitely done something, so I shall get these changed. Perhaps it is heading in the right direction  🤞

Check out the mileage. Hopefully I may get to do another couple 😁

Screenshot_20220807-214122_Gallery.jpg

interesting mileage..

👍😇

Today's update, ticks over badly...

I have ordered

021907601A the camshaft position impulse sensor from TPS as it is still available from VW bargain £81 inc vat 

021906433A from Classic parts including uk delivery total £68

Not much more I can do until they turn up, but I shall post up which one makes a difference.  Genuine parts and never been changed so happy go do it anyway.

Whilst I wait I am going to put a one way valve to the fuel system too. Who did this lately, so I can have a thread read? Keyo I'm sure you did and know the sizes of what I need.

Just trying to get the fuel tank collar off to get to the pump. Any top tip with this swine gratefully received. The mk2 golf I have came off quite easy compared to this pig 🤬😂

Edited by Cressa
Price

Sorry yes, should explain! The cables should be fine, it's the usb plug on the laptop that needs adjusting. Assuming it is Windows 10 you need to open the Device Manager (easy enough to search for it in the search bar next to the windows button).

Then you need to look for "Ports (COM & LPT)" in the long list. As an added complication it might be hidden so go to the menus at the top: View - Show Hidden Devices.  

Once Ports is visible click on the arrow next to it to see a list of USB ports "USB Serial Port (COM...)" and whichever one you have plugged your VCDS cable into should be visible. Right click on it and select Properties, then the "Port Settings" tab at the top, then click on Advanced. A settings box should pop up and there is an option for Latency Time (msec). Select a lower number for this. I put mine to 5 and it seemed to work with VCDS ok.

I had a valve fitted recently, but don't know the size. It hasn't made any difference that I can tell so I am not sure I'd bother... the only thing it did do was leak fuel everywhere at the new joint!

4 hours ago, Cressa said:

👍😇

I have ordered

021907601A the camshaft position impulse sensor from TPS as it is still available from VW bargain £81 +vat 

Not much more I can do until they turn up, but I shall post up which one makes a difference.  Genuine parts and never been changed so happy go do it anyway.

Whilst I wait I am going to put a one way valve to the fuel system too. Who did this lately, so I can have a thread read? Keyo I'm sure you did and know the sizes of what I need.

Just trying to get the fuel tank collar off to get to the pump. Any top tip with this swine gratefully received. The mk2 golf I have came off quite easy compared to this pig 🤬😂

Not me mate i just changed the feed line from filter to bay and the soft hoses on the on the end of the hard lines - take it you have changed out your fpr if you have had fuelling issues - did you leave e 5 or e 10 in the car mate. 

If this helps this is the fuel line for ends. External . 

In regards to fuelling old cars- new pump - fpr- lines- and get injectors cleaned - fuel relay. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382558389619

These are the clamps I used. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132124984649

Fuel lines internal tank (sitting in fuel )  let me know and i will dig that out to if needs be. 

Edited by Keyo

12 hours ago, Cressa said:

👍😇

I have ordered

021907601A the camshaft position impulse sensor from TPS as it is still available from VW bargain £81 +vat 

Cressa, I've got a spare check valve for the fuel line if you haven't got one. Send me your address and I'll pop it in the post to you. Its one of the alloy ones. Should be a pic in my build thread.

Hasan

Edited by fla

11 hours ago, Keyo said:

Not me mate i just changed the feed line from filter to bay and the soft hoses on the on the end of the hard lines - take it you have changed out your fpr if you have had fuelling issues - did you leave e 5 or e 10 in the car mate. 

If this helps this is the fuel line for ends. External . 

In regards to fuelling old cars- new pump - fpr- lines- and get injectors cleaned - fuel relay. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382558389619

These are the clamps I used. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132124984649

Fuel lines internal tank (sitting in fuel )  let me know and i will dig that out to if needs be. 

👍cheers for that. Not exactly fuel issue.... just a warm start problem it occasionally has. Trying to sort whilst I have the enthusiasm.  Which could be the Crank sensor or just needing a fuel line valve. I did get the injectors refurbed and had the FPR out previously.  So just after the correct size and decent pipe from the tank to put the valve in line. A cheap to do which may sort it..

3 hours ago, fla said:

Cressa, I've got a spare check valve for the fuel line if you haven't got one. Send me your address and I'll pop it in the post to you. Its one of the alloy ones. Should be a pic in my build thread.

Hasan

Thanks for the offer Hasan. Ridiculously I have one that has been in a drawer for a year!!! So really should get it fitted 👌😇🤣

Keyo,

Can you remember what the vdo fuel pump part number was you fitted....

Off the top of your head, whist out at work 🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Found it ... VDO 4 bar pump E22-041-060Z

Dave16v recently bought the pump only for £65ish uk supplier, maybe drop him a dm?

8 minutes ago, Dox said:

Dave16v recently bought the pump only for £65ish uk supplier, maybe drop him a dm?

👍 messaged 

Just tried to start a new thread but I just get a circle that does nothing 😡🤬🤬

Anyway,  I have just collected 021907601A camshaft position impulse (hall) sensor. Damn is it called lots of things... 

Does anyone know the torque value for the Allen stud bolt please as I cant find it in the Bentley.

I have found the engine crank speed sensor is 20Nm when I get it, but that is in the block, so I assume the Cam would be less.