Keyo

Heat shield

This looks nice  its a Birmingham Firm doing the same sort of work as Phenix and Gurven but a lot cheaper without the USA postage . Type in corrado or VR6 on the sellers shop. I might have to pop down there see what else we shall  get made ha. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-GOLF-MK3-VR6-Passat-Sharan-Manifold-Stainless-Steel-Heat-Shield-AL072/253272153714?hash=item3af8325e72:g:cFEAAOSwiLdV-sKu

Edited by Keyo

I have seen that previously.  To be fair I would like to see a picture of it fitted to understand where it actually fits and how it works. It would be good if they did some of the cool Gruven parts.

I wonder if it might help fix my hot starting issues, it sometimes spins over quite a lot before finally catching and spluttering into life if it’s been parked up a while on a hot day!

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

I have seen that previously.  To be fair I would like to see a picture of it fitted to understand where it actually fits and how it works. It would be good if they did some of the cool Gruven parts.

Vince put something similar if not that one  one on mine. It fits in the same place as the pressed steel galvanised original VW item, over the top of the exhaust manifold. Keyo has a new VW one fitted I noticed when his engine was being put back together. 

43 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Vince put something similar if not that one  one on mine. It fits in the same place as the pressed steel galvanised original VW item, over the top of the exhaust manifold. Keyo has a new VW one fitted I noticed when his engine was being put back together. 

No mate that was just re sprayed with VHT 800 degree silver manifold spray - absolute best stuff I have come across and also did my stock top engine trim in it and looks brand new. What I can say is Heat shields are ridiculously expensive from VW but this one is not to bad at £36.00, have seen one new one left from Latvia but is obsolete and is on ebay with expensive postage and dont look new!  Plenty of second hand ones available though. 

021253037E  

Edited by Keyo

47 minutes ago, tonedef said:

I wonder if it might help fix my hot starting issues, it sometimes spins over quite a lot before finally catching and spluttering into life if it’s been parked up a while on a hot day!

Dealt it chap that might have something to do with with your thermostat sensors. 

39 minutes ago, Cressa said:

where it actually fits and how it works.

Is it just a replacement for the stock heat shield, but rather nicer? It's quite tempting at that price...

19 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Dealt it chap that might have something to do with with your thermostat sensors. 

There is a fix for this involving a non return valve in the fuel line near the tank/pump, it’s actually a VW fix

15 minutes ago, oneohtwo said:

Is it just a replacement for the stock heat shield, but rather nicer? It's quite tempting at that price...

Aint half a good price - what else can they make us ha ?

Edited by Keyo

13 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

There is a fix for this involving a non return valve in the fuel line near the tank/pump, it’s actually a VW fix

Easy to do and it makes a good deal of difference - have done it on mine.

Before you do that I would advise replacing the FPR.

On a side note, I replaced my ignition switch the other day and have noticed much shorter start time since.

39 minutes ago, Keyo said:

You could be on to something there, I think they’re not that old but in reality I probably swapped them out about 10 years ago!

1 hour ago, tonedef said:

You could be on to something there, I think they’re not that old but in reality I probably swapped them out about 10 years ago!

For original chap ? The one to the ecu . 

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

For original chap ? The one to the ecu . 

They would definitely have been genuine, I was trying to figure out when I'd done it because I had to change the type of one from two pin to four pin when I changed some wiring either for Climatronic or OBD2. I'll have to dig out all the drawings and figure out which one I would need now too! I'll have the receipts somewhere for a p/n I'm sure.

2 hours ago, tonedef said:

They would definitely have been genuine, I was trying to figure out when I'd done it because I had to change the type of one from two pin to four pin when I changed some wiring either for Climatronic or OBD2. I'll have to dig out all the drawings and figure out which one I would need now too! I'll have the receipts somewhere for a p/n I'm sure.

For a cheap and easy illumination is it worth changing out your ecu and fuel relay - have a feel of them when the car is hot and see if they feel really hot or  looking a bit burnt out and tired.   

15 hours ago, Keyo said:

For a cheap and easy illumination is it worth changing out your ecu and fuel relay - have a feel of them when the car is hot and see if they feel really hot or  looking a bit burnt out and tired.   

That's probably a good call, I've had a couple of relay plates in it and a complete set of relays but they weren't new, next time I run it up I'll try the ECU relay, the FPR was new a few hundred miles ago so I doubt it's going to be that. It's not a major issue and it's never actually failed to start but it doesn't inspire confidence and puts my wife off relying on it. I suggested that after lockdown we leave her TT on SORN until the end of the summer, I generally use the BMW (bike) so she can have my Land Rover unless I'm on site so I suggested she use the Corrado whenever I'm away, she wasn't overly convinced!

2 hours ago, tonedef said:

That's probably a good call, I've had a couple of relay plates in it and a complete set of relays but they weren't new, next time I run it up I'll try the ECU relay, the FPR was new a few hundred miles ago so I doubt it's going to be that. It's not a major issue and it's never actually failed to start but it doesn't inspire confidence and puts my wife off relying on it. I suggested that after lockdown we leave her TT on SORN until the end of the summer, I generally use the BMW (bike) so she can have my Land Rover unless I'm on site so I suggested she use the Corrado whenever I'm away, she wasn't overly convinced!

It could be all sorts, Corrado’s are like that. 

11 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

It could be all sorts, Corrado’s are like that. 

Yes, aren’t they just!

On 5/11/2020 at 10:28 AM, Keyo said:

Aint half a good price - what else can they make us ha ?

The obvious is the crack pipe I guess! Although searching for the Gruven one did turn up this place which seems to import some US stuff from ECS and Black Forest:

https://psituning.com/black-forest-vr6-12v-crack-pipe.html

https://psituning.com/vw-parts/vw-corrado/engine-114667498/ecs-billet-water-pipe-silver-12v-vr6.html

Not heard of Black Forest before but looks decent. Quite pricy though, so if they were produced over here could be cheaper?

Some nice looking stuff on the Creation Motorsport site though, the silicon hoses are a nice price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK3-2-8-VR6-7-PIECE-SILICONE-RADIATOR-COOLANT-HOSE-KIT-H0169/253599825517?hash=item3b0bba3e6d:m:mEQbwSULStx2EVbcu51yDoA

They've been mentioned on here before I see, and consensus was the quality was decent. (edit: actually looking again it was the Roose hoses that everyone loved, only one person tried them and they didn't fit so sent them back by the looks of things. Might be because they are for the 2.8 as well.) Tempted by the fuel lines as well - need some replacements as mine have gone a bit perished at the end and haven't got around to looking, so that could solve that easily:

https://creationsmotorsport.com/stainless-steel-braided-an-flex-hose-for-oil-fuel-hose-line-price-per-meter.html

Edited by oneohtwo

On 5/14/2020 at 2:23 PM, oneohtwo said:

The obvious is the crack pipe I guess! Although searching for the Gruven one did turn up this place which seems to import some US stuff from ECS and Black Forest:

https://psituning.com/black-forest-vr6-12v-crack-pipe.html

https://psituning.com/vw-parts/vw-corrado/engine-114667498/ecs-billet-water-pipe-silver-12v-vr6.html

Not heard of Black Forest before but looks decent. Quite pricy though, so if they were produced over here could be cheaper?

Some nice looking stuff on the Creation Motorsport site though, the silicon hoses are a nice price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK3-2-8-VR6-7-PIECE-SILICONE-RADIATOR-COOLANT-HOSE-KIT-H0169/253599825517?hash=item3b0bba3e6d:m:mEQbwSULStx2EVbcu51yDoA

They've been mentioned on here before I see, and consensus was the quality was decent. (edit: actually looking again it was the Roose hoses that everyone loved, only one person tried them and they didn't fit so sent them back by the looks of things. Might be because they are for the 2.8 as well.) Tempted by the fuel lines as well - need some replacements as mine have gone a bit perished at the end and haven't got around to looking, so that could solve that easily:

https://creationsmotorsport.com/stainless-steel-braided-an-flex-hose-for-oil-fuel-hose-line-price-per-meter.html

Roose actually make a specific set of water hoses for the 2.9 VR6 Corrado, they fit no problem and I’ve Had no real problems with them once fitted. I’ve done 10k mile. 
Just type it in “roose vr6 corrado” into search on EBay. I got mine directly off of roose on eBay. 

16 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Roose actually make a specific set of water hoses for the 2.9 VR6 Corrado, they fit no problem and I’ve Had no real problems with them once fitted. I’ve done 10k mile. 
Just type it in “roose vr6 corrado” into search on EBay. I got mine directly off of roose on eBay. 

i can vouch for the Roose hoses too, ive got their blue ones on my VR

i would recommend using the original VW hose clips rather than buying their jubilee clips though, the VW ones are a constant tension clip so provide a better fitment & are easy with the fitting tool

24 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

i can vouch for the Roose hoses too, ive got their blue ones on my VR

i would recommend using the original VW hose clips rather than buying their jubilee clips though, the VW ones are a constant tension clip so provide a better fitment & are easy with the fitting tool

All the clamps OE are still available and agree worth using, most have been superseded , be warned some are £5.00 a clamp.  

Edited by Keyo

58 minutes ago, Keyo said:

All the clamps OE are still available and agree worth using, most have been superseded , be warned some are £5.00 a clamp.  

indeed they are, not often the dealers have parts for us nowadays

i would imagine the ones currently on the vehicle will remove ok & be reused

The Roose ones do look good but I only really fancy them because they look a bit smarter than OEM though, so not sure I can fully justify the expense.

That said my old rubber ones don't look in the best condition... hmmm