Keyo

Engine under trim debris and splash guard

Hi! Has anyone done it? I'm looking solutions to put engine splash shield for my vr6, but hard to find any threads about it. 🤔

I think you'll find the VR6 suffers from overheating under the best of conditions and the engine bay temps get very high - an under tray would probably restrict the airflow and hence the cooling. Also, the older engines of this era tend to leak a bit of oil, so that would collect there.

There were usually two plastic flat air guide pieces fitted on each corner of the front splitter - these usually go missing after the bumper has been off a couple of times.

Okay, thank you. So rather not. Was thinking of the dirt that ruins engine bay.. then gonna have to wash it more. 😄 

Might be worth removing for summer?

It would also give some added soundproofing

Ooh, I don't need soundproofing, vr6 is such a beautiful sound. 😄 But I'm only driving on warm seasons anyway, in winter with snow and salt is no go (in Estonia). ☺️

Does the v6 4mO and r32 have one?

Is he Corrado dash more honest than most other (newer) cars?

Talked to a mechanic too about the overheating possibility, but he didn't believe it. He's been working with vr motors for decades and that hasn't been an issue. VR tends to overheat yes, but the shield wouldn't be so thick under there that the air won't flow and the oil pan and oil filter holes are there too. And air would find a way in and out. Many opinions then..guess it's just about trying, at least would get an experience..have to think about it then. But thank you! ☺️

Well, mine was just an opinion - not speaking from mechanics experience obviously, just my own car. There was an undertray fitted to the Golf 2 TD/GTD - maybe this could be modified to fit? Or it would be relatively easy to injection mould or press such an item.

Personally while I see the attractions of a cleaner engine bay, I'd still like as much cold air getting in there as possible.