ben_wooduk

New article on piston heads

2 hours ago, ben_wooduk said:

Have you seen the Corrado article on piston heads.... Seems to think above 10k for the VR6 is quite normal now.....

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general/vw-corrado-vr6--spotted/43158

nice article - though i dont agree with the part about further appreciation

i dont think it unreasonable for us to be achieving agreed value insurance values of around 20k mark for some examples - espcially seeing as a VR^ sold at auction 2 weeks ago for £17.5K with fees 

1 minute ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

nice article - though i dont agree with the part about further appreciation

i dont think it unreasonable for us to be achieving agreed value insurance values of around 20k mark for some examples - espcially seeing as a VR^ sold at auction 2 weeks ago for £17.5K with fees 

I was thinking something similar to be honest, my agreed valuation is 8k, I think I seriously need to consider increasing that when my insurance is due.

2 minutes ago, ben_wooduk said:

I was thinking something similar to be honest, my agreed valuation is 8k, I think I seriously need to consider increasing that when my insurance is due.

i agree you do m8

ive put the value at £18k for my VR6 but with the quality of the paint finish it now has after all the work im thinking of aiming for agreed of between £20 to £25k

a fellow member here has had £19K agreed on his mk2 golf recently

8 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

i agree you do m8

ive put the value at £18k for my VR6 but with the quality of the paint finish it now has after all the work im thinking of aiming for agreed of between £20 to £25k

a fellow member here has had £19K agreed on his mk2 golf recently

13 minutes ago, ben_wooduk said:

You do indeed - hardly makes a difference to your premium- I strongly advise Lancaster Insurance they insured my golf for 19K and also a Campaign off facebook at 35k with 91k on the clock- aid flux was my last insurer for the golf and they always try yo low ball your valuation after you have paid. You will need paperwork and evidence to help you achieve your valuation- also a few links of cars that have sold won't hurt 

I was going to suggest (maybe cynically) that the reason it doesn't make much of a difference to your premium is that they hardly ever pay out the full agreed valuation!

Has anyone on here ever had a full agreed valuation paid out after a car has been written off? And would it be more expensive to buy back off the insurance because of the valuation?

It's good to see a fair bit of discussion on prices going up though, won't do any harm at all.

3 minutes ago, fendervg said:

I was going to suggest (maybe cynically) that the reason it doesn't make much of a difference to your premium is that they hardly ever pay out the full agreed valuation!

Has anyone on here ever had a full agreed valuation paid out after a car has been written off? And would it be more expensive to buy back off the insurance because of the valuation?

It's good to see a fair bit of discussion on prices going up though, won't do any harm at all.

Fen to be fair an Insurance policy is a contract so if you don't brake the contract you should have no issues. Its up to the policy holder to read terms and conditions before going ahead to insure the policy covers their requirements. Obviously things might be a little different in Ireland. 

Edited by Keyo

Just now, Keyo said:

Fen to be fair an Insurance policy is a contract so if you don't brake the contract you should have no issues. 

I would tend to agree there, but would just like to hear from someone with actual experience of an agreed value payout. Sadly past experience has taught me that once an insurance company gets involved, you'll always end up out of pocket somehow.  Insurance contracts tend to favour the insurer, and they spend a lot of time and money crafting them.

Do your policies have a rake of conditions such as an annual mileage limit, to and from show and mechanics only etc.?

They just like to see  pictures of the odometer mileage - if you don't go over the mileage declared you have nothing to worry about- if you do then basically you can assume your car is not insured unless you call them and extend the mileage on the policy at an additional premium 

Another example is you say you leave your car in the garage- you left it on the drive it got stolen you might not be covered- from my experience and I was a broker back in the early 90s is that only areas of  performance - age - experience - previous driving convictions- cars value- left on roadside overnight-  only really make a big difference- always declare little bits worst case scenario as won't make much difference - on classics even modified doesn't really load the premium by that much in most instances.   

Edited by Keyo

I think it was Chris Knott who didn't add a penny to my premium for adding coil overs or an exhaust. Their reasoning was that original parts were not obtainable, I was quite happy with that!