ABV-VR6

The rear beam bushings

I've ordered the thing to be posted to the Netherlands, then forwarded to me in Blighty. Will let you guys know when it arrives.

The postage is probably becuase they dont currently want to supply goods to the UK post brexit. It's all a bit new and processes are being put into place but Ebay sellers have to charge import VAT on their sales to UK customers, tag that import VAT has been paid and hope UK customs have their act together to not make the customer pay import VAT again. That last bit isn't that clear and there's rules for sales under/over £135 plus rules for online shops where the responsibilities seem to be different for each and the higher value (over £135) seem to be open to differnt options (i.e. seller pays or can decide to make it get paid at customs).

All a bit odd. If i was a seller in Europe I'd probably put things on pause for a bit until everything was clear! 

3 hours ago, MJA said:

The postage is probably becuase they dont currently want to supply goods to the UK post brexit. It's all a bit new and processes are being put into place but Ebay sellers have to charge import VAT on their sales to UK customers, tag that import VAT has been paid and hope UK customs have their act together to not make the customer pay import VAT again. That last bit isn't that clear and there's rules for sales under/over £135 plus rules for online shops where the responsibilities seem to be different for each and the higher value (over £135) seem to be open to differnt options (i.e. seller pays or can decide to make it get paid at customs).

All a bit odd. If i was a seller in Europe I'd probably put things on pause for a bit until everything was clear! 

I agree with you, that may just be it. Combine the super slow world wide shipping issue caused by covid, add the Christmas online shopping and top that up with brexit and it's giving you a good way to get bad reviews on your eBay account... 

Well at least Bruno had a way to get around it and I'm curious to hear the comments on the tool. 

It's a mess at the moment - have seen major delays here in Ireland because a lot courier freight used to go via UK. Some German delivery companies will also not ship to red zones at the moment, though they are not much better off themselves! I bough a nice secondhand pair of binoculars on ebay.de there just around New Year's, and DHL delivered it to somehwere in Germany and then back to the seller - very annoying.

Its confusing- for example should we now get things vat tax free from Europe and then they add on the vat - my gut feeling is at the moment a lot of ebayers will have deleted not EU vat then and then vat also added on by ebay automatically on checkout 20 percent so getting double bubbled ??? 

Edited by Keyo

For goods under 135 the seller is responsible for charging the import VAT (also 20%). For goods over 135 its free reign seller could collect or let it get charged at customs. Or hell even both may happen.

The UK VAT return template doesn't cater for these changes.

I'm sure processes will be put into place eventually. My Gamma 4 came from Germany within days and no custom charges and VAT was included in the price. I paid 95 inc VAT. Before brexit im pretty sure they were that price anyway (no vat back then)..

.. so you can see why sellers outside of the UK might not want to supply at the moment. Difficult to be competitive if some are losing 20% by perhaps not being on top of things.

Understand goods from China are on thr up too. I bought some kwik lift ramps and they've gone up 100 quid since I purchased.

Its all a little messy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Keyo said:

Found this website in Germany - its searches all the part companies in DE and is a price comparison  site. 

For example put  in my car details in search then choose cooling -  dasis rad ony £31.00 !!!!

https://www.daparto.de/Kuehler/VW-Corrado-53I/2-2166-823?kbaTypeId=4221

"Ab" means "starting at" - handy web site though

11 hours ago, MJA said:

For goods under 135 the seller is responsible for charging the import VAT (also 20%). For goods over 135 its free reign seller could collect or let it get charged at customs. Or hell even both may happen.

The UK VAT return template doesn't cater for these changes.

I'm sure processes will be put into place eventually. My Gamma 4 came from Germany within days and no custom charges and VAT was included in the price. I paid 95 inc VAT. Before brexit im pretty sure they were that price anyway (no vat back then)..

.. so you can see why sellers outside of the UK might not want to supply at the moment. Difficult to be competitive if some are losing 20% by perhaps not being on top of things.

Understand goods from China are on thr up too. I bought some kwik lift ramps and they've gone up 100 quid since I purchased.

Its all a little messy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yeah, 100-120 was about the going rate for a decent Gamma IV - it will all sort itself out eventually. my biggest issue at the moment is stuff getting lost/delayed because of shipping restrictions due to COVID.

8 hours ago, fendervg said:

"Ab" means "starting at" - handy web site though

Ok chap but here is the check out and showing that price. One would have to check if they do international shipping. 

https://www.daparto.de/Warenkorb

Edited by Keyo

Well the seller just got back to me, 5 days later... 40 GBP to ship here, I think I'll make due with my micky mouse setup! 

29 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Well the seller just got back to me, 5 days later... 40 GBP to ship here, I think I'll make due with my micky mouse setup! 

Not cheap then.

We'll get some numbers together on making them here once i get hold of dimensions and see what we can do about postage to you JP.

Hasan

48 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Better price than I thought for postage to Canada from him. Still expensive  though like you say. But the item itself I thought was cheap if it works. 
I managed with stuff I had in the garage too. That’s the beauty of a full garage, there is always something, just where is it 😖

🤣🤣🤣

Sounds good, keep us posted! 

I'm going to attempt with my Mickey mouse jig on the weekend, that should be interesting! 

Well I made it happen! It was not easy, challenging and stressful but it's done.
I heated the beam with a heat gun, bushing in the freezer for a couple of days. I used a 7/16" threaded rod, bunch of washers, lots of grease.
I broke about 4 rods just on one side, it's pretty nerve wrecking when you think about all that time to change the setup and the bushing is warming up...
It's too bad the hole is so small 7/16" is the biggest thing that passes...
Anyways pictures for reference if someone one day needs to make a basic DIY tool for that...
Cheers!

IMG_20210131_091438809.jpg

IMG_20210131_091837548.jpg

That’s what I like to see, a bit of ingenuity. Glad they’re in, at least you’re comfortable in the knowledge it’s a one time job and you’ll not be pressing more in there in the near future!

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Happy I made it happen. All I had was a piece of thick steel, a grinder and a drill, basic jig but worked out good! And yes, I'm not planning on doing another set! Cheers 

19 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks! Happy I made it happen. All I had was a piece of thick steel, a grinder and a drill, basic jig but worked out good! And yes, I'm not planning on doing another set! Cheers 

Well done jp. It’s a lot easier the second time, determination is what you need and showed 👍

On 1/28/2021 at 7:52 PM, Bruno said:

Had the kit rerouted through Holland. Just arrived. Will add photos in the next few days....

Hi Bruno, would you mind posting some pics and dimensions of the kit at all? Its something we could look to fabricate here.

Thanks

Hasan

9 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Well done jp. It’s a lot easier the second time, determination is what you need and showed 👍

Thanks a lot! I'm glad it's behind me now. I'm sure I would feel more confident the second time now that I know what to expect. 

So far: hardest job = rear beam bushings, most nerve wrecking job = getting to the HVAC box fir the heater core 😉

7 hours ago, fla said:

Hi Bruno, would you mind posting some pics and dimensions of the kit at all? Its something we could look to fabricate here.

Thanks

Hasan

That would be really nice! If you make something, I'll buy one! It needs to be strong, I'm blown away that the 8mm thick piece of iron from an industrial "I" beam took a serious bend in the process!

But I think the biggest flaws can't be fix and it's the size of the hole which do not allow bigger than a 7/16" threaded rod. I think a 1/2" rod would have made a big difference. I mean, the control arm bushing has a bigger hole than the rear bushing which made it a piece of cake to do! 

Cheers mate! 

Having just used the product, and realised how amazingly well made it is, how much trouble it saves when removing and replacing the bushes, how much better it is than the VAG 3111 tool, I've found myself being quite unsettled with the idea of with taking someone's excellent design and helping others to copy it.  It works brilliantly. It removes the existing bushes without any drama and it helps one to slide the new bushes - and orient them properly - with genuine ease. I was surprised- really surprised at how easy this was. I was expecting to take all day on this.

It took me less than 1 hour to remove the old bushes, power wire brush and smooth off the inner face, lace the new bushes with copper grease, pop them on and screw them into place with this tool.  It comes with a long bolt that has a 19mm nut at one end, a cap for the part which fits over the bumpy part of the bush (pics 12/13), a large cap (pic 14/15) which fits over the other end of the bush housing, a bearing and two-part capnut which fits perfectly over the cap. It also comes with an additional press head (not in the pics) which I used to push out the original bush. No cutting, no burning. The pictures attached showed the process of assembly after the bush receivers had been brushed smooth.

So here's my problem. It really does not sit right with me to help steal someone's idea, when have alternative approaches. If I may, I'd like to suggest the alternatives:

1. It cost me about £65 to buy it, shipped to NL, then forwarded to the UK. I'm not likely to use it again myself, but I thought - what do ya'll think of the idea of me simply lending/renting  it to the forum users in return for £15 plus postage. No intention to profit - just want to make sure that is used in a good and decent way. I would get my money back after lending it out four times - and ya'll get to use a really strong, well made tool. I'm really not trying to make anything from this - just trying to do the right thing.
  2. I have an old friend in Poland who may be willing to contact the maker of the tool and ask him to see if he can arrange a group buy for the rest of us

Does this make sense?

12-Bush_close_up_of_tool.jpg

Pic 12 This is a view looking down upon the tool snug onto the bumpy side of the bush.

10-Bush_not_pished_home.jpg

Pic 10 View from with the opposite side of the beam, with bush ready to be pushed home, just lightly wedged (tapped) in place.

11-Bush_greased_.jpg

Pic 11 This is the other side, bush sitting ready to be pushed home.

13-Bush_with_tool.jpg

Pic 13 Now with the tool in place, rod threaded through. Not how nicely it sits on the bumpy bit.

14-Bush_with_end_cap_before_winding.jpg

Pic 14-1 The cap is then placed on the other side, and over that is this two part cap-nut with a built in bearing.  When screwed home the part above, to the left side the capnut's bearing slips nicely into the spacer (on the left), centres everything. It then sits entirely square. One holds the nut on the other side firm and slowly one turns the nut with the bearing on it. The threaded bar has to be greased, then cleaned after handling each bush, then new grease applied, don't forget that. It needed 19mm spanner on the fixed side, 22mm spanner on the side with the bearing/capnut. 

14-Bush_with_end_cap.jpg

Pic 14-2. Note how the right hand cap slides over the receiver. It really is well thought out. There is a further part to push a bush out. Not in the pics.

When removing the bush, I found that it moved quickly if I left it sodden overnight in a bowl of WD40.

I forgot to mention. It works with the earlier beams (smaller bush diameter) as well as the later beams (larger bush diameter, similar to the ones on the Mk3). There's a different cap for the smaller beam.  

Quite  impressed with the time it took to fit the bushes back.

Edited by Bruno
comments on the pics

It definitely seems really nicely/solidly made, you can tell on the pictures. Glad you got them in and it was easy to do for you. Must be relieved! 

When I totally understand and agree with your point (and I speak of experience) I got my unique idea stolen in the past and it really pissed me off. But in this case, I don't think the demand for a "copy" is to cheap out the inventor but more of an issue with availability. Seems like he's not willing to sell in the UK (for reasons we know) and maybe not everyone like you has access to an address in a different country. That said, offering to lend it resolve the issue and if I was in the UK, I would have just done that. Others may just want to own it too... And in my case, shipping alone to Canada was £40 plus taxes and duty and the part cost and that makes it cost too much unfortunately. Anyways, I don't think I will be doing that again anytime soon but if availability at a reasonable cost was offered, I would consider. 

Just though I would make the intentions clear! Cheers