oneohtwo

Unidentified Screw.

Need some help identifying a tiny screw on a VR6 if anyone else has disassmbled theirs. It's an M3/3mm diameter and about 6mm long. Needs an allen key to remove. Looks like this:

y4mh6ARkEvggmUp6U1cAgRisEEW0oiezlME_Mlal

Sadly it is the only screw I forgot to label. I distinctly remember being extra careful taking it out thinking if I drop it I'm never getting that back but cannot for the life of me remember where I took it out.

My only inkling was that it was maybe around the throttle body area, or possibly the fuel rail. I was hoping it would be come apparent as I reassembled things but I am running out of parts to fit and it hasn't turned up so I am starting to get nervous! Help!

Is it the fuel test hole plug at the front left of the fuel rail that you use to release the fuel pressure or to connect a test gauge to?

Spoke to Stealth to see if they had any ideas where it may be from and they drew a blank as well. If they don't recognise it then god knows where it is from....

Strange - the only other suggestion I would have is that it might be from one of the vacuum hoses or openings on the TB and it was used to blank one of them off?

Not really sure. I had a look over it and couldn't see anywhere obvious it could go. Maybe when I am connecting the hoses and throttle cable it might appear.

Can't be the one screw that holds the oil dipstick?
Would love to help, I'm not sure either so I'm brainstorming here!
I'll have a look at my engine which is out right now, maybe I can see it somewhere...

UPDATE: I got the size wrong! It is an M4 bolt, not 3mm diameter. As if that makes all the difference...😂

Dipstick isn't a bad shout, and it sounds like the sort of thing I'd quickly whip off and put to one side whilst doing other bits, but I've just dug it out of the parts pile, and I think the slot is too big.

Thanks for looking, it's appreciated. It really has me baffled. Beginning to think it has just appeared out of nowhere. Speaking of which, here's another riddle. Ages ago I found a small oval washer with three holes in it just on the floor somewhere. Didn't recognise it so bagged it up for later. I have now discovered where it goes - it goes on the little bonnet striker pin on the slam panel. BUT I have only just taken that off last week, and there is already one on there. So where did the second one come from?

9 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

UPDATE: I got the size wrong! It is an M4 bolt, not 3mm diameter. As if that makes all the difference...😂

Dipstick isn't a bad shout, and it sounds like the sort of thing I'd quickly whip off and put to one side whilst doing other bits, but I've just dug it out of the parts pile, and I think the slot is too big.

Thanks for looking, it's appreciated. It really has me baffled. Beginning to think it has just appeared out of nowhere. Speaking of which, here's another riddle. Ages ago I found a small oval washer with three holes in it just on the floor somewhere. Didn't recognise it so bagged it up for later. I have now discovered where it goes - it goes on the little bonnet striker pin on the slam panel. BUT I have only just taken that off last week, and there is already one on there. So where did the second one come from?

😂🤣😂too much thinking for me....check the bolt to see if it does fit in the engine hole for the dipstick. I'm sure my dipstick hole was oversized for the bolt!!! 

Have had a double check and it's an M6 unfortunately. I was hopeful for a bit! The search continues...

Also found a bit of black plastic trim that I had left in the scuttle tray. Can't see where it goes - searching for the part number returns a German ebay site that lists it as cable cover protection/wiring harness cover. No obvious place that I ca see it going and it's a weird shape:

VW CORRADO RALLYE GOLF 2 GTI G60 16V ABDECKUNG KABEL SCHUTZ MOTORRAUM 536971615 | eBay 

I left it by the wiper motor so logic suggests it's from the drivers side somewhere.

Is the plastic the one that covers where the fuel lines emerge in the bay? I removed it from mine (at least I think I did) and I gave up trying to refit it as I couldn’t work out how it was originally attached....... can’t help with the screw, I’ve literally got tub after tub of random ones, usually left overs 🤣

Yes, exactly! I was sure it was down there somewhere but I've spent ages looking around and can't work it out either at all. Cant see anything for it to fix to. Oh well, may as well leave it off... bit of weight saving! 😆

Well the engine is pretty well all back together and it didn't turn up as needed anywhere. Spoke to Stealth again and they confirmed it is not a VW bolt, so is something someone has added at a later date. They've also never come across a bolt of that size in a VR6 in all the engines they've rebuilt

So we have come to the conclusion that someone's shoved it in somewhere as a bit of a bodge and it isn't really necessary. It is just going to have to remain a mystery. Wish I could remember where it came from just for my own interest!

Good stuff - I think you should congratulate yourself for having only one mystery bolt left over after a major job like that - I usually end up with a pile of them, and have no end of random ones sitting in multiple Tupperware containers round the house!

I might have identified the random plastic bit with a picture, if it’s the bit at the back I can get more pictures to help. I’ve definitely helped myself......... really should have checked the breaker before I gave up on it 🤣

7AE6F496-A279-4872-A0B6-549BA2852160.jpeg

What am I looking at? The plastic cover right in the corner!!! What does that do 🤗

I think the black plastic cover piece in the middle - is it there to protect the wiring from any leaking brake fluid?

I’m not quite sure of it’s purpose, dodging leaky brake fluid sounds good to me. I had this piece left over when I had my engine out but now I know where it goes/how it sits 👍

It’s always mad to see the German mentality for over engineering in cases like this - and then they miss the fact that the engine bay is a huge heat sink and a bugger to work on!

There it is! That is pretty well buried, I can see the pin for it to attach to now. Didn't realise it actually slots into the hole in the chassis leg. It's all too far gone to get to now anyway so it will remain in the box of leftovers! Still nice to know where it goes. 

2 minutes ago, oneohtwo said:

There it is! That is pretty well buried, I can see the pin for it to attach to now. Didn't realise it actually slots into the hole in the chassis leg. It's all too far gone to get to now anyway so it will remain in the box of leftovers! Still nice to know where it goes. 

Same here, you would need to be a contortionist to get in there now, I might try once the car is at ground level 🥴

On 3/22/2021 at 8:01 PM, easypops said:

I might have identified the random plastic bit with a picture, if it’s the bit at the back I can get more pictures to help. I’ve definitely helped myself......... really should have checked the breaker before I gave up on it 🤣

7AE6F496-A279-4872-A0B6-549BA2852160.jpeg

If that is a drain behind the leaf the it id a water deflector that aims it into the drain away from the the other side to stop water ingress running down the cable perhaps ?  Yes when you think you have everything off a breakers car then realise you left an obsolete part on there - my last one was the windscreen mirror housing fixing which was very expensive from vag.