Westr

VR6 auto to manual conversion

Hi, does anyone have fairly recent experience of having this done, and could advise how much I could expect to pay. 
I would really appreciate the advice. 
best regards Ray. 

I think Fla is the go to man for this and our Canadian friend ABV is just doing it now on his Japan imported Rado. 

It’s playing up, and to be honest has always been slightly jerky even when it was working ok. I need to spend money on it. I would rather put that money into a conversion. I had a manual many years ago and preferred it. The cars absolutely immaculate and I’ve put a lot of time and effort into it.  I just feel the manual box will just finish it nicely. 

Edited by Westr

7 hours ago, Westr said:

It’s playing up, and to be honest has always been slightly jerky even when it was working ok. I need to spend money on it. I would rather put that money into a conversion. I had a manual many years ago and preferred it. The cars absolutely immaculate and I’ve put a lot of time and effort into it.  I just feel the manual box will just finish it nicely. 

People use the pedal box for conversions and prices are high on his sought after item, many manual boxes will be worn too. Add clutch and flywheel and you'll be in similar money  to an overhauled auto?

ECU will be different as will he loom?, Console, gear knob and gator, shifter and cables, dash clocks too?

Driveshafts?

Starter, gearbox to engine bolts?

Edited by Dox

Thankyou for the replies. 

After doing some more phoning around today I found someone with a good reputation who said they would be prepared to do it. Approximately £1200 labour. Just need to establish exactly what parts I would need, I’ve had some differing opinions on this. I may leave it to the garage to organise and supply. I’ve done a lot on the car but I know my limits and knowing exactly what I need for this is beyond me. 

Have you flushed the autobox and changed the filter? There is a product called Lubegard, helps to reduce auto transmission slippage.

Try that first and see how you get on. 

If you can get it scanned for errors it'll be useful to see what's in the ecu

The conversion is not too difficult tbh. Its best to try and get everything from a breaker though.

Yeah paid to have the fluid redone and filter changed+ gasket. Not tried Lubeguard. But I’ve also had a problem for ages now where I have been unable to select gears manually. It’s as if it just stays in D. I thought I had solved it when I cleaned the contacts on the Neutral safety switch, I think that’s what it’s called and for quite some time it was working fine but again it’s now not working again. And in my mind I would just really like to have the car as a manual, before it becomes to difficult to source a gearbox etc for it. I know the auto box is rare but I’m just not enjoying the car at the moment because I fix it then something else starts playing up with the box a few weeks later. 

Edited by Westr

9 minutes ago, fla said:

The conversion is not too difficult tbh. Its best to try and get everything from a breaker though.

👍🏻 I’ve tried a couple of online breakers and have asked them if they can list everything I would need I’m just waiting to hear back from them. 

There is a mk3 box identical to the Corrado vr6, I have one as a spare. I say this incase you struggle to get a Corrado box for fair money

You shouldn’t be paying much more than £150 for a box and then it’s probably best to have it overhauled before you put it in. 

14 hours ago, Dox said:

Auto is rare, why would you?

Autos are for vans. A Corrado needs to be released 

4 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

There is a mk3 box identical to the Corrado vr6, I have one as a spare. I say this incase you struggle to get a Corrado box for fair money

You shouldn’t be paying much more than £150 for a box and then it’s probably best to have it overhauled before you put it in. 

Ok thanks for that that’s really kind. I shall keep that in mind. 

10 hours ago, Westr said:

👍🏻 I’ve tried a couple of online breakers and have asked them if they can list everything I would need I’m just waiting to hear back from them. 

the main things will be ( in addition to the gearbox):

Top rad hose, connects the Rad to the thermo and top of the expansion tank - ive still not replaced mine (will do soon!) instead sealed the end that goes to the auto tranny cooler and its not leaked in 14 years. 
Hose that connects the thermo housing to the auxiliary water pump and bottom of the expansion tank.  
2 bottles of coolant  
New bolts for the steering column - you can use shear bolts or normal ones - your choice 
Accelerator Cable there are two types 

Reverse switch 
Flywheel 
NEW clutch, bearing etc 
New flywheel bolts 
Transmission mounting 
Interior trim piece’s, shift boot and shift knob 
Starter motor 
Pedal assembly /Pedal cluster 
Shifter Box 
Shifter Cables 
Clutch Master cylinder and slave cylinder 
Clutch hydraulic lines etc. 
Slave cylinder bracket 

Ecu and driveshafts are the same.

Hope that helps.  

Hasan

6 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Autos are for vans. A Corrado needs to be released 

Enthusiasts are getting older, some will need autos going forward

funny you say that Dox - i've often thought about an engine and gearbox swop for an auto....seriously!  Not the 096 but something more efficient and modern from the VAG fleet..in another Corrado though, i'd prefer to keep this one manual

9 hours ago, fla said:

Top rad hose, connects the Rad to the thermo and top of the expansion tank - ive still not replaced mine (will do soon!) instead sealed the end that goes to the auto tranny cooler and its not leaked in 14 years. 
Hose that connects the thermo housing to the auxiliary water pump and bottom of the expansion tank.  
2 bottles of coolant  
New bolts for the steering column - you can use shear bolts or normal ones - your choice 

Reverse switch 
Flywheel 
NEW clutch, bearing etc 
New flywheel bolts 
Transmission mounting 
Starter motor 
Shifter Box 
Shifter Cables 
Slave cylinder bracket 

Hope that helps.  

Hasan

Thanks for this that’s helpful 👍🏻

18 hours ago, fla said:

2 bottles of coolant  

Reverse switch 
Flywheel 
NEW clutch, bearing etc 
New flywheel bolts 
Transmission mounting 
Starter motor 
Shifter Box 
Shifter Cables 
Slave cylinder bracket 

Hope that helps.  

Hasan

Yes that's the list! Not that hard to be honest.
Accelerator cable is the same, the auto as a plug to it for the transmission computer. You can change it or not.
All those parts are somewhat cheap to find. I got most of my conversions off a Passat B3 VR6, pedal cluster, transmission, motor mount brackets.
All the clutch related stuff is worth buying new OEM and not that expensive.
All the shifter components, while you're at it just do a 02J conversions, better, cheaper, readily available, it's a win-win
Interior trim piece = eBay
Reverse switch, use a 020 they are cheap and straight bolt on.

Cheers!

Hi one other thing regarding this conversion, when I changed my head gasket some time back I noticed my engine code is AAA which means I have a golf VR6 engine I assume. Do I need to find a golf VR6 gearbox does this change things for me, isn’t the golf VR6 a six speed as well. I would prefer my Corrado as a 5 speed manual. 

43 minutes ago, Westr said:

Hi one other thing regarding this conversion, when I changed my head gasket some time back I noticed my engine code is AAA which means I have a golf VR6 engine I assume. Do I need to find a golf VR6 gearbox does this change things for me, isn’t the golf VR6 a six speed as well. I would prefer my Corrado as a 5 speed manual. 

Brilliant thanks for confirming 

Hi gents. Does anybody have a decent original gear knob for a Corrado VR6 they could sell to me. I have the stick and gator but the gear knob is pretty bad. 

Good luck with finding a decent one. I think that is rarer then getting VSR motorsport manifold. 

Try messaging lilfuzzer as he is always getting rid of Corrado parts

Good luck, I'm sure something will come up