Westr

VR6 auto to manual conversion

On 5/8/2021 at 5:43 PM, Westr said:

Hi gents. Does anybody have a decent original gear knob for a Corrado VR6 they could sell to me. I have the stick and gator but the gear knob is pretty bad. 

Probably easiest and quickest to have a crap one recovered 

Having a problem with my idle guys running rough. It’s not a case of car runs better if I disconnect my MAF, if I disconnect it it is still awful, but I’m finding if I disconnect my MAF. And then plug it back in. Sometimes spraying it with contact cleaner then plugging it back in the rough idle goes most of the time. Would this be an indication that I need a new MAF or is it still worth having the car plugged into diagnostics? Thanks. 

On 5/21/2021 at 8:26 PM, Westr said:

Having a problem with my idle guys running rough. It’s not a case of car runs better if I disconnect my MAF, if I disconnect it it is still awful, but I’m finding if I disconnect my MAF. And then plug it back in. Sometimes spraying it with contact cleaner then plugging it back in the rough idle goes most of the time. Would this be an indication that I need a new MAF or is it still worth having the car plugged into diagnostics? Thanks. 

Sounds like a sensible diagnosis. Especially with it making no difference when unplugged.. Get it plugged in if you can. Do you know anyone with a good working MAF that you could swop with to be 100% sure

have you cleaned the MAF with carb cleaner or something similar? Check the spades in the connector as well as the wires by the connector itself for any corrosion.

Thanks everyone i think I’ve found the culprit, I disconnected my blue temp sensor on the thermostat cleaned the contacts and it has been sweet since. I’ve ordered myself a new one as it’s not a big job if I start getting trouble again I shall swap it. 
have my car booked to go into the garage for the conversion soon and today just gave the car a run and it’s absolutely pissing oil.😬

It appears to be around the oil filter but on top of the filter. I’ve not long changed the filter. Could it be i’ve disturbed the gasket when changing. Is this a common one? 
sorry to be a constant source of questions. 

25 minutes ago, Cressa said:

This. 

Could be...

20181228_151816.jpg

Good shout

or if not could be one of the two sensors that screw into the top of the oil filter housing, I had a temp sender leak badly once

Ah ok thanks I know I have a leak on the oil cooler and have been meaning to get round to doing it. So it could be that and it’s all of a sudden got massively worse. 
It looked on top of the oil filter but hopefully as you say it’s the cooler. I might ask them to change the gaskets when the take out the gearbox. Or as you say the sensors. Hopefully they will do it. 

Edited by Westr

Hi gents. 

Ive had my car converted. Brilliant firm called VW Panelkraft in Stevenage. 
They’ve also got to the bottom of an idling issue I have on the car which has turned out to be the ecu. Anyway I have a automatic gearbox and many other auto parts, I am going to put them on eBay to claw some money back as this work is going to cost me quite a few £. But I thought I’d mention it on the forums to see if anyone is after some parts and I can help them out. Let me know thanks. 

From previous posts I believe its the interior trim pieces that are the sought after / difficult to obtain for autos, so wrap them well for future wanted ads

Can't be many autos left on the road now. I do find driving with gears is a more enjoyable experience,  even though modern cars are going the other way with DSG etc

Did you need a new ecu for the non auto box and that sort the idling issue?

Yeah the ecu for the transmission is gone this is the ecu that’s in the scuttle in the engine bay that has needed a refurb 

Hi I’m selling my auto gearbox for a Corrado on eBay. + numerous parts pedal box shifter cover etc does anyone have any idea as to what would be a reasonable price to ask for as there are none for sale anywhere as a reference, thanks. 

Ah i saw your corrado pop up on my feed on instagram. Panelkraft are not too far from me (Arlesey aren't they rather than Stevenage?). They certainly do a good job from the pics! 

1 hour ago, MJA said:

Ah i saw your corrado pop up on my feed on instagram. Panelkraft are not too far from me (Arlesey aren't they rather than Stevenage?). They certainly do a good job from the pics! 

That’s the ones yeah they done a great job 

Westr, I’m considering buying a Corrado that has had the auto box changed to a manual. Have you had any reliability issues since having it done? How many miles have you done?

Hi my engine has done 72000 miles and I have a AAA engine. It’s a really strange one because I’m sure people will tell you it’s impossible but the guy that done my conversion seems to think that the mileage all tallies up with service records mots from new so it’s possible this was the original engine. My car was an import from Germany when first built. And there were some 2.8 Corrados built in America so he thinks it’s just slightly possible I have a original 2.8 Corrado VR6, anyway. My auto gearbox was terrible really clunky and I really didn’t enjoy it. It worked but needed a proper strip down and the manual selecting on it no longer worked so it was no fun. Best thing I did was have it converted and have had no problems was slightly stiff at first but now having done a few miles it’s absolutely fine. So for me it’s been great. I did have it done at a reputable garage though. 

All European Corrado VR6s came with the 2.9 ABV engine, Golfs had the 2.8 AAA as well as US Corrados. MOT & service history won't tell you if the engine has been replaced and aside from the block and intake manifold in early AAA, they're exactly the same (later AAA also had a different throttle body with OBD2 management iirc). I think it's more likely your engine has been replaced at some point in its life. If you have the original paperwork, you may have the engine number on it which would tell you for certain. 

53 minutes ago, Westr said:

Hi my engine has done 72000 miles and I have a AAA engine. It’s a really strange one because I’m sure people will tell you it’s impossible but the guy that done my conversion seems to think that the mileage all tallies up with service records mots from new so it’s possible this was the original engine. My car was an import from Germany when first built. And there were some 2.8 Corrados built in America so he thinks it’s just slightly possible I have a original 2.8 Corrado VR6, anyway. My auto gearbox was terrible really clunky and I really didn’t enjoy it. It worked but needed a proper strip down and the manual selecting on it no longer worked so it was no fun. Best thing I did was have it converted and have had no problems was slightly stiff at first but now having done a few miles it’s absolutely fine. So for me it’s been great. I did have it done at a reputable garage though. 

Anything is possible, does the engine number match the V5? Does the V5 state 2.8 or 2.9?

You can order a build certifacate from Germany

A 2.8 with 2.9 inlet mani and throttle will only be a few BHP down from a 2.9 anyway.

Some 2.9s were oil burners when new, with there being no low level light on them many were run low, some even ignored the low oil pressure light thinking the sensor was faulty (I actually heard this conversation at AmD in Oxford in 1999). With 2.9s at a premium and 2.8s more available the 2.8s were swapped in

Worth noting that an auto has its own designated ecu so probably worth getting the car mapped at Stealth racing afterwards - sure i have seen the rads might be different to but that probably dont matter. If the conversion was done at stealth I would not worry about it- worry about the rust is my advice on any corrado as that is where the big bills come. Its certainly a positive thing if an auto has been removed - they have there place for bad knees of course but old auto is horrific compared to modern units. 

Edited by Keyo