EJ Taylor

EJ Taylor's R36 Mk3 Build

In short, I am building a Mk3 GTI R36. I think the first/only one in the UK. I will log the journey here.

Feel free to add queries etc..... I am anticipating an interesting journey.

Original Car:

-1995 Mk3 GTi 2.0 8v

Aim:

-I don't want a "show car" neither do I want a "track car"

-I want to build an overall amazing car package with loads of power (enough to kill most things) a subtle exterior (keeping the overall GTi aesthetic), and plush interior (nice seats and sound system but no max power stuff)

-Slightly OEM+ inspired

I am glad to be back in the VW tuning scene and look forward to the coming years! 

Very early photo of the Golf, when I bought the car, the prev owner put it on Coilovers as they were cheaper than replacing the VW suspension with OEM parts. 

Worth mentioning, this golf came with a lever arch folder with all paperwork since new, INCLUDING the original VW purchase receipt and delivery ticket, pretty special! 

The first thing I did when it came to me was crank the coilovers down, (previous owner had it running at standard ride height) I also  treated the car to a full poly bush kit in its first few months. 

The photo attached was the first show ever me an my dad made it in both our cars, despite both being life long car nuts, his Bristol had been off the road for about 10 years. She's back now and I hope to attend some shows together again this year. 

The colours compliment each other well if I do say so myself. 

Golfs bad bits:

-Sills chewed by a Wookie 

-Front grill painted with rattle cans, in the dark, while its raining, during a sand storm, then flattened back with a brick 

Both items I plan to address sooner rather than later. 

321566828_562310031982207_6675218560054079834_n.jpg

I then treated the Golf to a set of Compomotive Motorsport TH Alloys, fitment was spot on, more luck than anything. 

I painted the front grill satin black (I don't really like it) however, a slightly chavvy satin black grill was in my eyes, better than a seriously ropey blue grill with paint flaking off and blisters, scuffs (you name it, just generally terrible). 

I have taken it down another 15/20mm since these photos, I also have a VR6 front splitter I am yet to fit. 

I must add, the service I received from Compomotive Motorsport was second to none. A really pleasant experience, a breath of fresh are for customer service. 

PXL_20221022_152617263.jpg

PXL_20221022_150751466.jpg

Some of you may recall, In my previous money pit, the supercharged VR6 meth'd Corrado, I found myself a pair of "old evo 2 seats" aka Recaro Speeds. Since then, they have been my favourite seat of all time. 

I watched the internet for a very long time, and finally, in the pre-christmas "everyone sells everything" rush, I found a set of Recaro Speed SR3 Topguns, RARE AS ROCKING HORSE DODO. 

Somehow, I got 2no mint condition Jap Imported SR3 Topguns, WITH genuine Recaro Runners, for £1000...... Considering they are 2.5/3k a seat new, I was VERY pleased. Goes to show, if you are patient, and know the market/ what to look for, you can still snap a bargain on ebay. 

Tried out by my Girlracer in the making.... she approves! 

IMG-20230109-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20230109-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20230109-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20230109-WA0015.jpg

THE ENGINE!

Me and my Tuner OBD-Works (the best in the game IMO) originally wanted to R32 the Mk3, HOWEVER, I want at least 300bhp, he made the valid point; if you get a stock R32, you will need to chuck thousands into it to get it over 300bhp N/A. An R36 lump is 300bhp stock, a decent breathing system and zorst/manifold, maybe even a high lift cam set up (if they exist, tbc) and you'll have a 300bhp+ monster for less/neutral sum than an R32 conversion. 

Upon allot of thought, and dealing with many a Tommy Tanker trying to buy an engine on a pallet, we decided it best we buy a whole car, steal its heart, then break it for pats to reclaim some funds. 

James @ OBD-Works, made me aware, they made a Passat CC 3.6 v6, that has the same 3.6 VR6 FSI engine as the R36 Passat. This was news to me! (I have since found out they also did the Skoda Superb with this engine, WHAT A SLEEPER) 

So, once again, I scanned the web high and low, and found myself a very tidy Jap import Passat CC 3.6 V6. Following a viewing and a test drive, I bought it.

It feels so counter-intuitive, the car itself is mint, and crazy spec (rear heated seats and blinds... LOL) feels mental buying a car that good to take it to bits, however, logic and building an R36 Mk3 don't really go hand in hand. 

Really excited, when I test drove the CC, the speed really shocked me, the thought of that engine in a Mk3 kept making me laugh out loud... it is going to be interesting. 

Nice start to your thread. I like the colour of yours too, mine is just plain old Flash Red. Wheels suit it well and R36 is going to be epic.

Current day, 

HUGE THANKS to Cressa, a CF member, he pointed me in the direction of a BRAND NEW VR6 gear box. 

Have spoken with the seller, he seems legit (fingers crossed) going down to pick it up this weekend. 

Then Vince at stealth is having it to fit a Quaife LSD, ready to be bolted onto the lump and transplanted into the Golf 😄

2 minutes ago, MJA said:

Ouch I don't think i could break that but needs must... 

haha, it does feel a bit odd I will admit. 

But it was 4k for all the bits I needed and an engine on a pallet i have never seen run, or 5k for this and ill probs make 2k back breaking parts. 

But yes, I am slightly concerned about my self haha. 

Can't dispute that is the most sensible and cost efficient way to achieve the goal. 

I was amazed when renovating my mk3 16v that the part numbers for the all bushes, control arms, rear axle, bearings, track rods, knuckles/bearing housing, anti roll bar etc etc are all exactly the same as my Corrado VR. The only parts I could tell that were different from factory were the dampers and springs (no one runs stock anymore anyway) and whilst the subframe is visually similar the area where it mounts to the body at the rear is slightly different. Mk3 is 120 kilo lighter than the Corrado VR (1090kg vs 1210kg) too but can see where the mk2 boys come from with it being 150kilo heavier. Odd though how one was the FWD handling kings of it's day and the other was a fat pudding if you go by some reports - don't believe everything you read was my take away and a R36 in it is going to make a for rapid and well sorted NA car.

Good to hear you're using Vince at Stealth, he's done lots to mine too and I am happy to drive 100 miles to see him when something big needs doing I don't fancy. 

Good to see you back EJ, you used to give some great input related to car audio (among other corrado areas).

This build should be truly amazing - always liked the r36 and truth be known i wouldnt mind a CC or Passat with it.  Knowing your attention to details with your interior builds, i'm sure this will also be superb

Looking forward to seeing this, bet it will go well.

I have an R36 and can’t imagine what a mk3 will go like.

D4E47F3D-43FD-42EA-A935-D463A9804D40.jpeg

4 hours ago, MJA said:

Can't dispute that is the most sensible and cost efficient way to achieve the goal. 

I was amazed when renovating my mk3 16v that the part numbers for the all bushes, control arms, rear axle, bearings, track rods, knuckles/bearing housing, anti roll bar etc etc are all exactly the same as my Corrado VR. The only parts I could tell that were different from factory were the dampers and springs (no one runs stock anymore anyway) and whilst the subframe is visually similar the area where it mounts to the body at the rear is slightly different. Mk3 is 120 kilo lighter than the Corrado VR (1090kg vs 1210kg) too but can see where the mk2 boys come from with it being 150kilo heavier. Odd though how one was the FWD handling kings of it's day and the other was a fat pudding if you go by some reports - don't believe everything you read was my take away and a R36 in it is going to make a for rapid and well sorted NA car.

Good to hear you're using Vince at Stealth, he's done lots to mine too and I am happy to drive 100 miles to see him when something big needs doing I don't fancy. 

You are dead right, it really depends what video/article you are reading, personally, i think they are both a bit ropey on stock suspension/chassis set up, equally both great handling cars once set up right. 

Vince is a legend, there is no one like him, even when i rang, he always has so much time to offer his knowledge, he is my sort of bloke. Couldn't rate him/Stealth Racing enough. I also moved recently, and now live 16 miles from Stealth. COMPLETELY BY ACCIDENT. 

3 hours ago, fla said:

Good to see you back EJ, you used to give some great input related to car audio (among other corrado areas).

This build should be truly amazing - always liked the r36 and truth be known i wouldnt mind a CC or Passat with it.  Knowing your attention to details with your interior builds, i'm sure this will also be superb

Appreciate the kind words, like wise, its good to be back. Hope you are well. 

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Looking forward to seeing this, bet it will go well.

I have an R36 and can’t imagine what a mk3 will go like.

Yes, admittedly, i haven't been in a fast car in a while, but when i test drove that cc, the speed shocked me. One day once the partners mk1 Touareg dies i would love to have one as a family car. Such an understated car. I WILL own one one day. Just need to wait till i have enough money and the kids are old enough to not completely destroy it. That poor Touareg, they absolutely trash it. I found things growing in it recently. 

57 minutes ago, GrahamU said:

gonna be watching this one, nice base car to start with and a engine that should make it alot of fun

Ill try keep good track of it all on here, its great to have a journal covering the process. Sometimes I look back through my old build thread on here, does that make me a bit sad? 

Sod this, stick it in a Corrado  🤣🤣 

Only kidding. I had a mk3 16v and loved it. But an R36 in one, impressive. 

I like that fact you bought a totally good car and will rip it apart. Ballsy and very sensible 💪

Have a read of what GrahamU has done with his Corrado, as that has been a fantastic and different build. 

Good luck with all of this and like everyone else, look forward to the updates.  I hope the gearbox is what it says, damned cheaper than refurbing one.

It's gonna be great 🍻

I did think this, and still do, however, 3 things:

1. CORRADO PRICES! remember buying my VR6 for £1700... lol 

2. What I love about the mk3, is me and all the family can hop in, fill up the good sized boot, and go on family days out, even a show or 2. The Corrado is not the best for getting kids in and out the back. 

3. I have a maybe unrealistic hope, but Darren, who bought my Corrado, and has chucked about another 30k at it, was only sold my C on the condition I get first refusal on its sale. We speak now and then and I always remind him of said agreement. THUS, there is potential, one day I will own both the crazy Mk3 and what will always be the love ill never forget, my beautiful money pit. I do miss her allot. Part of this is just filling the hole she left. But I still think selling was the right thing, that car was like a crack habit, just chucked so much money into it and never rewarded me for it. Such a beauty though. one of those things you don't truly appreciate till its gone. Genuinely, I still get spontaneous moments of genuine depression, my god did i love that car. 

11.jpg

At least it’s a 3 door. It should be a lot of fun when finished. How old is the Passat and what mileage do you get for that money. 
what are you thinking of having done to the engine before it goes into the golf. 
I also went for the Quaif lsd. Be very careful maxing power till it’s got 1k miles on, mine pulled to the left like someone was tugging the wheel sometimes when new till it was bedded in, at the time I wished I’d gone for wavetec. 
Them seats look cool n comfy too. 

49 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

At least it’s a 3 door. It should be a lot of fun when finished. How old is the Passat and what mileage do you get for that money. 
what are you thinking of having done to the engine before it goes into the golf. 
I also went for the Quaif lsd. Be very careful maxing power till it’s got 1k miles on, mine pulled to the left like someone was tugging the wheel sometimes when new till it was bedded in, at the time I wished I’d gone for wavetec. 
Them seats look cool n comfy too. 

2009, It has 114,000 miles, full service history, 3.5 Auction grade condition, which isn't the best but also pretty good, also the dynamic audio sound system (any takers). I had been keeping an eye on the market, it was up for 7.5k, he then dropped it due to lack of interest to 5.5k, i twisted his arm to 5k. I must say, a blimin amazing car for 5k, ill find the sale spec add and put it in here, its crazy spec. The power is what really surprised me, as said, it has been a while since I have been in a fast car, probably my mk7.5R estate running 400hbp, but this Passat CC 3.6 seriously impressed me, it felt crazy fast, sublime quality, and power just there, cant beat a well set up N/A engine. I would compare the CC to an E-Class Mercedes in terms of ride, power build quality, its just the shape that puts me off, im not really a saloon man. Estates all the way for me. But if you likes saloons, one hell of a car. I have since found out they also do this engine in a bl**dy Skoda Superb!!!! They are selling for about 5/6k and have insane spec. 

Regarding the Diff, appreciate the heads up, most the touring car teams still use Quaife, also I had Quaife in my Corrado and never went wrong, also UK made, and recommended by Vince at stealth. I have looked into the differences, but nothing is yet to sway me from Quaife. 

Edited by EJ Taylor

2009 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT CC 3.6L V6 DSG 296BHP

White, 114,000 Miles

£5,490.00

We are pleased to present for sale this ultra rare 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC 3.6 V6 presented in the highly sought after candy white. Fresh import from Japan with an auction grade of 3.5 with no previous accident record. Covered 113,000 miles with extensive service record. Recently serviced alongside 12 months mot & U.K registered.

Spec - 3.6L V6 FSI - 296 bhp. 6 speed auto dsg. 4wd - 4 motion. 17 inch alloys. Cream & black 2 tone leather interior. Heated/electric seats. Front & rear parking sensors. Rear electric rear blind. Rear heated seats. 4 x electric windows. Twin exhaust tailpipes. Sports/comfort mode suspension. Heated/electric door mirrors. Dyno audio. 2 zone climate control. Aircon. Cruise control. Xenon headlights. Front fog lights. Privacy glass. Electronic parking brake. Rain sensor. Auto lights & all other usual refinements.

So, updates. 

I collected the BRAND NEW VR6 Gearbox, I haven't even cleaned it yet, and look at it! Shiny bolts the lot! its crazy how fresh it is, just hope the inside is the same, it should be. The seller was an awesome bloke, also has access to allot of 80s/90s VW parts, he is happy to help with any requests, so if anyone wants anything, let me know I will message him. He knew Vince at Stealth so that alone is a pretty good confirmation he is a good bloke. 

Had a great catch up with Vince, dropping the gear box to him on Saturday, he is then fitting a Quaife LSD. I will then collect and take over the OBD-works for fun and shenanigans. I also now need to source a billet flywheel and a Sachs Clutch. 

Additional to the above, as I like buying shiny things, I have purchased a very nice leather VW Motorsport gear Knob (the standard plastic mk3 GTi one is shocking, it's so bad!) and some VIBRA-TECHNICS Engine mounts.  

CC parts selling well, although I am dealing with many a space cadet! 

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-26 at 11.51.11.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-26 115234.png

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-26 at 11.53.27.jpg

The eagle eyed may notice the rather roached Rieger catalogue kept for nostalgia from the Corrado era. 

To be fair, its an awesome catalogue, with all info and part numbers to order direct from Rieger from Germany. Also looks cool in the garage, misses not to keen.