fendervg

Order of washers for windscreen wiper spindle

Hi all - just looking for some help and maybe pictures if possible - I'm in the middle of refubing my front wiper linkage, and forgot to make note of how the washers and spacers mount on the spindle as they go through the bulkhead.

So I have:

- a large metal washer

- a black plastic cup spacer

- a large nut

So the nut obviously is the last part to go on, but a bit confused as to the spacer and the other washer - guessing that the spacer sits with the flat part up on the spindle, this mates up to the bulkhead, and then the washer and nut on the other side? Many thanks.

Thanks for that - so it looks like the steel washer sits on the four shoulders of the spindle, then the plastic spacer, flat side to the washer and the lock nut on the outside. Will give that a go. Many thanks  for the photos.

Edited by fendervg

Correction - there is also a rubber grommet that sits on the hole in the bulkhead - so the metal washer goes on the spindle, then the spindle is inserted from below through the grommet, then the spacer, sits around the spindle but in the grommet from the outside, flat side out, then the lock nut. You can see it in the second picture, the flat part the same colour as the lock but is the flat side of the spacer.

Edited by fendervg

Nice one Fen, must admist never taken it apart but good to see it documented as no doubt will have to.

Q how much play should there be on the wiper arms in there rest position? Mine have a good 2cm of slop.

I've done this a lot recently, but mine doesn't have the rubber grommet, just the metal washer and the plastic spacer. Might have to look into that, but otherwise yes the order is correct. I've always felt it seems an odd design, because there's not a lot actually clamping it to the bulkhead - perhaps the rubber grommet is key.

I don't think there should be much slop in the wipers at all - your 2 cm of slop is likely due to the worn nylon bushes on the flat link arm that goes between the wiper motor and the wiper mechanism.  I have been experimenting with potential replacements, and the prototypes on mine have removed the slop completely. The wipers can be positioned correctly, and will no longer hit the scuttle trim, or the side of the windscreen.

I have just received a latest batch of bushes so will see how these go. There is another thread in here where I have documented my attempts.

Looking forward to any develpments with those new bushes of yours seeing as the parts are now NLA. Great to see stuff like that going on. I didn't realise there were any rubber grommets there at all either, until I checked the lip of the aperature - mine were still in there. I think they are still available as they are a standard part, and probably worth replacing to make for a more secure mounting.

I have double checked, and actually I do have the grommits - they are clipped into the body work flange, so don't come off with the spindle which is why I couldn't remember them.

I still think it's a bit of an odd mounting, and don't hundred percent see how it is clamped in the hole. The spindle just seems to be clamped to itself! There doesn't seem to really be much on the underside to stop it pulling through the hole... I presume the metal washer is just large enough.

I have also noticed even with the metal washer the 4 lugs on the spindle tend to deform the plastic spacer. 

On the bushes, I have made some good progress with these, if you check the other thread!

Have all replacement parts now, so here is a definitive (I think):

a9c67c3a6ad76a537af4479a85f77e10.jpg
3fc72d08417e90396ff65f4fa0216a07.jpg

From left to right:

1. Wiper arm nut

2. Wiper arm washer

3. Spindle lock nut

4. Plastic spacer (sits inside the gromment)

5. Rubber grommet (sits in hole for spindle in cavity)

6. Support washer (sits on fours support grooves/shoulders on lower spindle)

The key thing is the gromet, the support washer then sits snug from the inside of the panel, and the plastic spacer is inserted from the outside and sits inside the grommet, the black spindle lock nut then tightens down directly on to the flast face of the plastic spacer.

Here are the part#s if anyone needs them - all still available from Classics and aftermarket, fleaBay etc.

sPINDLE NUT - 7D0955243
SPACER RING - 867955251
GROMMET - N90465501
COVER CAP - 1J0955205A 9B9
CRANK ARM - 535955121
COVER DISC - 481955255
WASHER - N01155811
NUT - N0111513
SPACER - 111955641

Edited by fendervg

Good work, that looks it, although I notice I don't have a washer for the wiper arm. 

One thing I have noticed is how easily the metal washer that goes underneath the rubber grommet deforms. It's pretty thin and only bearing against the four shoulders of the spindle and against soft materials on the other side, so if you over tighten it deforms. I'm not sure what the torque settings are for the this but previously I had been really tightening these up to try and take out some of the slop (until I realised it was the link arm). As a result these washers were pretty wavy - I straightened them out and now just nip the nuts up until they are a bit firm, but no more. 

I was tempted to replace these with a thicker washer, but didn't have any of the right size spare.

Yeah, my old ones are quite worn and deformed - you could probably double them up, but they are an odd size to get hold of.

8 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

I'm not sure what the torque settings are for the this

Not much. You'll need a low range torque wrench.

7nm for the assembly to wiper shaft

15nm for the wiper arm to wiper shaft

Just catching up on this topic as will need to do soon. Can you remove the wiper assembly without removing the black plastic scuttle panels? 

I have a lot of play in the small gold arm but probably best to remove the whole lot and refresh what is needed. Video attached to show

You can, yes. If you pop the wipers off and undo the larger spindle nut, the spindles will just drop through. Nothing is connected to the plastic trim. It takes a bit of wiggling to get the wiper mech out from under the scuttle, but that's the same whether the plastic trim is on or not.

I can't remember if you picked up one of my sets of wiper bushes, but that's exactly the sort of play in the connecting rod that they will get rid of. 

I do have your washer bundle but also have nos short and long arms too. Can never have too many spares 😄

Yep, it’s possible. Access is easier with them off, but you will likely break them or crack the windscreen trying to get them unstuck. I’ve replaced mine with an SWG one piece panel. Don’t forget to u do the bolt on the bracket to the firewall near the wiper motor. It’s well nigh impossible to get the motor off with the wiper mech in place.