Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Mk4 rear hubs and Discs

does anyone know if mk4 golf rear discs and stub axles fit the corrado, i'm gettin hold of complete rear braking off a 02 golf gti including upgraded discs so wanted to transfer the lot.

You need the calipers and the rear brake lines, or at least an adaptor to connect the old lines to them.

The rear discs and pads should be the same.

As for the hubs? No idea...

eh, that cant be right on the golf the disc and the hub are two parts wheareas on the corrado the rear disc and hub act as one........please dudes i need to know, does the corrado use the same setup as golf mk2 cos i know someone that has done the full conversion to the golf 2

You want to get the rear brake assemblies from a TT, Seat Toledo, R32 or Cupra R as they're 256mm vented :wink:

Tried the handbrake on a TT with that setup and it actually works!

:mad: :mad: :mad: just trying to take off my rear discs and i cant get the carrier for the brakes off it has two allen headed bolts which fits a 8mm allen key but after a bit of force it slips............is there any other way

those allen bolts are ludicrously soft!!

you need to warm it up they come undone much easier then,, if its too late you need to cut the heads off of the bolts then remove the carriers with the disk,, then deal with the offending studs with a bit of heat and a pair of stilsons,, that will teach em!! :D

I'm gonna resurrect this as I seem to remember Kev mentioning a little while ago about some idea to get the MK4 stub axles onto a C so that you don't have to do the rear wheels bearings every time you change the rear discs...

Anyone got any pertinent info about whether it might be possible to fit the MK4 stub axles onto a C?

You want to get the rear brake assemblies from a TT, Seat Toledo, R32 or Cupra R as they're 256mm vented

Tried the handbrake on a TT with that setup and it actually works!

Ah- I was gonnas ask that question as there are some TT rear brakes on ebay at the moment.. so these will fit direct to a Corrado then!

What will I need? just new vented discs? plus will the pedal travel suffer?

Cheers

Mike

The setup you need is the vented FWD MK4 golf, which are 256mm IIRC and they use a similar arrangement to the front hubs, i.e. no stupid roller bearings and shells that MOT testers usually fail for excessive play, even tho the play is within spec......and....relax.....

The 4x4 hubs I've been reliabley informed won't work at all on the Rado rear axle.

I have no idea how or if the 256 hubs fit to the Rado trailing arms, but 16VG60 has done it on his.

Been looking at the MK5 GTI aswell and the entire rear setup looks feasible to me, without a horrendous amount of welding, and they have 286mm rear discs....solid on early ones, and IIRC, vented on later ones and the R32.

LOL, can't believe I'm saying "early MK5 GTI" already.... where does the time go?

Thanks Kev- A bit too 'bespoke' then for someone like myself (i am more plug & play!)- I'll stick to my MK4 front and rear caliper plans then!

Those TT calipers did look sooo nice tho :(

Cheers

Ive looked into this myself - unfortunatly the Mk4 stub axels, altho able to fit, do not have caliper mounting lugs. The calpier mounting lugs on the Mk4 golf (TDi is the model i looked at, so im assuming all the FWD Mk4s are the same) are actually an integrated part of the rear beam. This is also the case on the newer seats.

I would image from looking at them that the stub axles themselves will be a straight swap, but obviously some kind of caliper mount would have to be either welded or fabricated in addition.

For me and my needs this is a little too much work, Ill be using Mk4 rear calipers on standard VR stubs and discs etc - the shi.te design wheel bearings will have to stay....

Id be interested to know how the guy with the Mk2 golf mounted his calipers, i wouldnt imagine it would be that hard to engineer, depending how much of a priority this issue is to you...

Im also pretty sure there is a difference in length of the two stub axles, in fact there is, I didnt have a tape measure with me at the time, so couldnt measure the distance from rear beam face to hub face, but im inclined to think the Mk4 and Corrado would have the wheels sat at different distances from the beam... Ill take a look at this next time i have a measure to hand.

It would be great if you could get more info on the MK4 rears as the standard ones are utter junk. Installed a fresh set of discs, pads and bearings a few weeks ago and they're feckin warped already :roll: Hence why VW fitted vented rears to the later cars. Who says the rears don't do anything??! They do....a lot!

If/when I do get the rear MK4s on, I can then get some nice AP racing two pots on the back ;-)

Shame I can't meet you on the 21st Kev - you could have popped the rear wheel off my MK4 and had a poke around..

Well provided you put it all back together again, you can be my guest mate :)

Been thinking about this, i rekon the following set up would fit, obviously needs to be checked out first, but i rekon this is a way of doing it:

Mk5 Polo Stub axles (carrier mouting lugs are integrated, unlike golf)

Mk4 Golf Hubs (Golf is 5 stud - Polo hubs can be kept for 4 stud vehicles)

Corrado carriers (or Golf/ Polo??)

Mk4 Golf (or Mk5 Polo) ally Calipers

Mk4 Golf Discs.

Im pretty sure in my head that that little lot would work, i converted my Mk4 Polo to rear discs, and i used the set up from a Mk5 Polo... It was literally a straight swap, and to be honest i think it is the same configuration as the Mk4 golf, with the exception of the carrier mounts...

Things that would need to be confirmed... If anyone gets a chance before i do please let us know!!

1. Distance between Back face of stub axle (where is mounts to rear beam) and face that wheel sits against - i have a feeling the Mk4 golf/ Mk5 Polo set up may leave the Corrado wheel sat slightly further in the arch...?

2. Conformation that the Mk4 Golf Hub will fit the Mk5 Polo Stub axle - im pretty sure they will be interchangeable, as the hubs are indentical to look at, bar stud pattern.

Obviously it would be best to check the whole set up together off car, so as to aviod unneccessary work.

As a side note im pretty sure the Mk5 Polo rear calipers (and poss carriers?) are the same as the Mk4 Golf items, This is the only decent pic (below) i have of the set up on my Polo (before coilovers i mite add!!), but to me they are identical from what can be seen, to the Mk4 ally calipers i have sat in the garage....

Any input welcome on this... i will try to get more info when i can....

129447649.jpg

I bought a prototype brake kit from eurospecsport which fitted 280mm vented disks to the rear.

1. remove your rear rotor and put it in a lathe. Turn down the entire friction surface to create a "hub".

2. Either source calipers from a TTQ/R32/or whatever else uses the 256mm vented rotors over there or machine wider openings in rear calipers to sit over the new vented rotors (this kit did just this with aluminum mk4 calipers).

3. Machine a bracket/plate to push the caliper carrier further away from the beam attachment points and install between the oem caliper carrier and the rear beam. You will set these tolerances based on which rotors you choose.. i.e. corrado 280mm, ttq 256mm, etc.

Using the ttq/r32 calipers will delete having to machine the calipers and carriers.

You now have a rear hub though it does still use the old wheel bearings. FYI, you gain approximately 9-10mm of outward spacing due to the nature of the assembly. You will also need a set of passat E-Brake cables as the calipers are further away from the axle.

I may still have those photos. A friend purchased my rear axle/brake setup when i went all wheel drive.

Sounds like a lot of work, but doable.

My plans are slightly more radical. There must be a way to make a stub axle, or modify and retro fit an OE one to take a sealed ball race bearing instead of the ancient taper bearings? Only needs to be a shaft with a thread on the end to take a Ford focus rear bearing or something.

With that I'd be looking to fit some alloy bells and rotors and small 4 pots, or larger 2 pots, but without exceeding the master cylinder's capacity.

How would the car behave with zero play at the rear end though? VW must have taken into account the slack at the back, so just wondering if the handling would change for the better, or worse!

I know of a few people who have made the 280mm conversion on the rear

they did exactly the same as Eurospec but without knowing about the eurospec ones.

It makes sense if you can use the standard 280mm front disks off the G60's or vr's.

But it is quite a bit of work