Sign in to follow this  
2cc

Exiting moment on the trip to work today......

OK the headlights were a bit reluctant to come on when I left home early this morn, but when barrelling down the windy road to work and selected main beam it all went dark :shock: No dip either. Quick panic and application of brakes till my brain caught up and thought to use the fogs. Looks like the h/l switch has deffo had it. Got it on the table now and its all loose bits inside and iffy operating. I don't think these are cheap are they? Searching revealed comments suggesting £75 (presumably from vag) and £51.70 from GPC.

Haven't pulled it to bits (yet) as am concerned it won't work at all after that, and from the sound of it would be a waste of time anyway.

Anyone know where I can get a new one for sensible money?

Part No is 535 941 531B

I think a few people have managed to bring these back from the dead- Unfortunately I wasn't one of them :(

I would have a bash at it TBH- the worst that can happen like you say is to run on the fogs for a day or so :)

I haven't heard any cheaper price than £50 odd quid :?

im sure i read somewhere(could of been on the yahoo group by andy bryant)that the headlight switch is very similar to one found in a seat car,i think it could of been a toledo,could be a quick cheap fix

Make sure you definitely get the right one because there are two late switches..... both are identical bar a plastic guide in the middle which differs. This prevents you plugging it in.

I have a new switch at home somewhere with the wrong "bit in the middle". I'm going to try cutting the offending appendage off over the weekend and see if my loom catches fire when I plug the switch in......

Cheers for quick replies guys. I haven't called stealer yet (you never know what's in his cupboard), or GPC cos am at work and don't have their number to hand. Yeah Jim, its for the valver, so tis the early type.

I would have a bash at it TBH- the worst that can happen like you say is to run on the fogs for a day or so

That would be no big deal, but if I b***** it completely then I'd have no lights at the back

I would have a bash at it TBH- the worst that can happen like you say is to run on the fogs for a day or so :)

That's not such a grea plan either because the heat from your foglights will crack the glass after a few mins of use. Then it'll be another £100 for 2 new foglight lenses.

Dinkus wrote

That's not such a grea plan either because the heat from your foglights will crack the glass after a few mins of use. Then it'll be another £100 for 2 new foglight lenses.

LOL So best not use tem if its foggy right............

Using them in the rain is the worst - the ultra cold rain on the front of the glass, coupled with the ultra-hot bulb behind the glass causes them to crack.

To be fair to them though, I suspect that most cracks are caused by stone chips causing micro-fractures. These are then made much worse by the heating/cooling effect of those bulbs.

Its worth having a go at fixing the headlight switch yourself, open it up, take it all apart, get rid of any broken bits of plastic and put back together again, worked for me anyways!

That's not such a grea plan either because the heat from your foglights will crack the glass after a few mins of use.

If you say so :? I have used my foglights for a little longer than a 'few minutes' on a number of occasions and I haven't had to shell out £100 each time. In fact they haven't cracked yet :p

That's not such a grea plan either because the heat from your foglights will crack the glass after a few mins of use.

If you say so :? I have used my foglights for a little longer than a 'few minutes' on a number of occasions and I haven't had to shell out £100 each time. In fact they haven't cracked yet :p

Fair enough, but if they do crack, don't blame me :D

Its worth having a go at fixing the headlight switch yourself, open it up, take it all apart, get rid of any broken bits of plastic and put back together again, worked for me anyways!

I'd go for that too, also make sure you clean all the contacts up.

Well I used my fog lights EVERY time it was dark as the C lights are pants.... NEVER had a cracked fog lense in 2 1/2 yrs....

Just had the thing apart. Now I have a handful of little bits of broken plastic. It does work a bit better now, but there are still some bits trapped in there somewhere. The good news though is that vag have stock of 10 and will be here tomorrow, and they only cost £19 and a few pence Bargain! :lol: all the way

PS Ive used my fogs loads of times and not had cracked glass. Would suggest its down to stones - otherwise, why did vag put them on the car?