Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

a road tax mod . . .

i dont know where all you UK based C drivers put your road tax, but here's what i do:

mine is laminated and stuck (with double sided tape) to the back of the rear view mirror (so it faces outwards!!!!!)

i have NOTHING AT ALL on my windscreen. no stickers. no "giant road tax holder with space for a credit card" none of that.

there is no law on where the road tax should go, so long as it is "displayed clearly on the vehicle to which it relates"

Nice idea..... hadn't thought of that before.....

I think the nearside bottom corner of the screen is law on road cars, although I've yet to hear of it being enforced, so......

its not law, its just the further point away from the driver's line of site.

i asked a copper once about this. he said

"if it is somewhere obscure, you could get pulled because it wasnt seen at first. ok your tax may be up to date, but you could get a producer . . . . but there is not a law stating where it should go, so long as it can be seen."

nowhere is more visible than at the front, in the middle, at the top.

Kev haywire is correct

'they' are now mounting cameras usually on bridges that can read the tax disc and if not there or out of date they fire out a default on sorn or non display (£150)

In my Golf I had to have a road tax disc, a parking permit for uni accom. and a parking permit for work!! I stacked them all up the bottom left of the window, and it looked stupid :roll:

'they' are now mounting cameras usually on bridges that can read the tax disc and if not there or out of date they fire out a default on sorn or non display (£150)

dont they just check the reg plate against the records at dvla?

i think in time we wont need to have a disc at all. it'll be like paying your tv licence - you dont need a disc in the window of your house!!!

until then, stick it somewhere nice, it costs enough :-P

was in NI last week and my mate (driving) got pulled over as his tax disc was in front of the rear view mirror. he prompty got told to move it...

this is what they do at various petrol stations i've been told - during the wait for the pumps to start your car can be checked to ensure its not a stolen vehicle etc.

this is what they do at various petrol stations i've been told - during the wait for the pumps to start your car can be checked to ensure its not a stolen vehicle etc.

I'm fairly sure they just write down or take a pic of your reg becuase of 'drive-offs'

I'm fairly sure they do, a year or so ago I drove passed one of these camera's and was worried as I still hadn't displayed my new disc about a week after the old one ran out as I coundn't find the 2.5mm allen key for the holder :oops: - didn't here anything tho...

I have always assumed the disc should be displayed in the passenger corner of the screen but maybe thats just because thats what most people do.. :?

any chance of a 'how to' guide for this particular mod - with pics and 'refitting is reversal of removal' type thing :wink:

any chance of a 'how to' guide for this particular mod - with pics and 'refitting is reversal of removal' type thing :wink:

:lol: yeah sure, but I'll need at least 15 pictures with detailed descriptions of each step of the process.

only undertake this mod if you are competant with a toolkit

it has a five spanner rating

Sounds like you should be careful Supercharged....

I still hadn't displayed my new disc about a week after the old one ran out as I coundn't find the 2.5mm allen key for the holder :oops:

I got pulled for having my tax at the top centre in my Golf and was given a producer. Went to the cop shop and asked the desk admin support who checked my docs where by law the disk had to be.

He agreed with me that as long as it is visible on the front screen then that should be legal and that it was petty that I was pulled for it, just as a traffic cop (full body armour) walks past and says by law it has to be displayed in the bottom left hand side of the screen, to which I pointed out;

"what if it's left hand drive, surely that would be in the sight line of the driver",

so off he went to devour some more doughnuts and pull some more dangerous elements of society like the motorist.

its an old wives tale that its "law" to put the disc in the bottom left.

a bit like:

if you havent got road tax, your car isnt insured

if you live with a woman for more than X years she is "common law wife" and entitled to half of everything

mcdonalds is spelt mAcdonalds

the national speed limit on a dual carriageway is 60

some coppers are just petty. but i've been pulled, with my tax disc at the top. and it isnt noticed.

sheeit sometimes it has been out of date, and the cop has said "get yer tax done".

i think cops are only really concerned with the car's roadworthyness, and that you have insurance.

tax is an inland revenue thing