Sign in to follow this  
AdamB

The Storm Debate

I am very new to Corrado ownership, and it would seem, lucky enough to buy a Storm as my first one.

However, reading between the lines on many of the posts, there appears to be a fair bit of Storm-bashing going on.

So are these cars a very sought after model, that any C owner would love to own. OR is this just a view of Storm owners, and the truth is that non Storm owners are not bothered about this model either way. OR, is this attitude from non-Storm owners, just a bit of jealousy?

I'd love to hear an unbiased view on this, as I know in the Golf world (my roots) the Campaign Mk1 is a highly desirable car, and also an end of production car, that any Golf owner would sell his sisters virginity for!

well tbh me being a storm-owner and all that..............the storm was til i bought one the be all and end all of Corrado's(well so i thought :roll: )......but once having mine and actually seeing what storm-spec actually is then i'm afraid in all honesty all we have is a pair of badges and a colour coded grille over so called lesser VR6's.............ok mystic blue is a storm-only colour but i would imagine there are less than 250 Ice Grey Violet C's out there so its not exactly that rare,they haven't been upgraded mechanically and the standard leather meant IIRC that the storm worked out a bit cheaper than speccing a standard VR6 with leather..............and as they also aren't numbered or actually in a sequenced run chassis number wise IMO doesn't make them too special either..............but for all that i love mine and wouldn't do without it

Well as I see it...

There are other VR6's out there with a better spec, or in rarer colours etc etc - but the Storms were the 500 that VW chose to badge up as end of line and sell especially to the UK. They might not have much different over any other well specified VR6, but even if it is just a name you still own one of the 500 that VW deemed to signify the end of the Corrado.

The Storm is the one with the better resale value too so.. who am I to argue with that? :D

You'd still secretly swap it for a Campaign though wouldn't you Rodders ;)

was it that obvious :twisted: :wink: :D :D :D :D

Agree with Rodders and Jim

As for the Campaign - I've only ever seen one and that was yours JrB - and it was very nice apart from the bra on the bonnet :oops:

Totally unbiased view as I own a standard VR6 and previously a valver - I'd LOVE a Storm or a Campaign as they are special editions and have that certain something about them. I'd have to go for a Mystic though - black leather! 8)

Jim has pretty much summed it up AdamB. At the end of the day the Mk1 Campaign was very much like the Storm - few extras and a run out to signify the end of a special car. You can get better spec'd Corrados, but a Storm is the last of the breed. What you need to ask yourself is owning the last of them the most important thing for you?

Unfortunately many poor/average examples of the Storm are priced artifically high just because they are Storms.

Personally I'd rather have a "normal" VR and pocket the saving cos for me it's just a badge - the car is no different in real terms.

and it was very nice apart from the bra on the bonnet

Does that mean that admiring females throw their bra`s at the rare Corrado Campaign,in a sort of Tom Jones hero worshiping type way :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Personally I'd rather have a "normal" VR and pocket the saving cos for me it's just a badge - the car is no different in real terms.

well i remember you buying your C just a cpl of months after i bought mine and thinking to myself if i just waited i could have possibly had that for quite a saving and have a better spec C too 8)

There really is quite a varied opinion on them then. I must admit, that I have spoke to a few C owners, and they all say "Mmmmm, A Storm" and get that dreamy look in their eyes. I guess it all come down to the badge and the exclusivity of it then.

I would also be the first to admit that I do like the attention the Storm Badge atracts, and this is something I wouldnt get if it was just a VR6.

I like the fact that its a name that has been carried forward from the Forefather the Scirocco

and it was very nice apart from the bra on the bonnet

Does that mean that admiring females throw their bra`s at the rare Corrado Campaign,in a sort of Tom Jones hero worshiping type way :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

There HAS to be some reason for the thing doesn't there ;)

Seriously though. I think VW made a bit of a mistake with the Corrado Storm, as opposed to the Scirocco Storms. These were very different from other Sciroccos (particularly at the time) and featured items not available on other Sciroccos (in the Mk2's case it was the first of the 1.8i engined Sciroccos and featured a new body kit). They were higher specced than any standard Scirocco could be which is what makes them desireable, not because they were "kitted" up end of line cars.

I hope this doesn't sound as if I'm "dissing" the Corrado Storm, as, until I got the opportunity to get the Campaign, I too "aspired" to own a Storm (it even historically says on my web-site that I one day want a Corrado Storm to go with the Scirocco one. - note to self, must update that sometime) So in short, if "kudos" is something that you want to go with your Corrado, then YES a Storm is probably a good thing to have, as your chances of finding a Campaign are pretty remote ;) (no, I'm not thinking of selling ). :p

I own a standard VR6 (without leather) and yes, when I bought it I would have preferred to be buying a storm, but now it doesn't bother me. Great that they have leather as standard, but what else do you get -a coded grill, different alloys, and a couple of storm badges - which you can't replace if anything happens to them. Okay, some of the standard VR6 badges are obsolete, but a Storm without it's badges is just another vr6. Now, if it had been a higher power motor, with a six speed box, or something else unique it would be a different story - but it wasn't - just seems vw were trying to clear their remaining stock as quickly as possible.

The biggest probelm with Storms has already been mentioned - there's no easy way of identifying one unless you really know what to look for - so it's fairly easy for people to pass standard cars as Storm for an inflated price.

If I was to buy another vr6 for some reason, I really wouldn't be bothered about it being a Storm - I'd be much more interested in condition and spec.

At the end of the day the car's for you AdamB, so if you're happy with the price / condition / etc - buy one because you like it, not because you want other people to like it.

Just my opinion.

I agree that today it is condition that would be key in the purchace of another Corrado. however I love my STORM and I was luky enough to buy a pristine example with rare air-con. I think that it will always be worth slightly more than a same speced same conditioned VR6 though. It arses me off that a Storm is group 19 though and a standard VR is 18 :mad:

Christ, I thought the original Storm bashing thread had been resurrected, but it's just another one, LOL!

Personally, I think ALL 'dealer specials' are horseschitt and a waste of money.

Appreciate the base car for it's merits, sure, but don't appreciate the car MORE just because it has a badge on it. I mean the Campaign MK1 Golf.....wow.... Pirelli P slots, green glass, twin lamp grille, etc. All cheap stuff off the shelf and hardly exclusive as the P slots were ear marked for the MK2 anyway, as was green glass.

All it is VW spending as little as possible in attempt as a token thank you. Don't be suckered into it.....and I'm bored of their bi-annual 'Anniversary' models now aswell. We got the drift on your 25th Birthday VW, we don't need reminding AGAIN 5 years later.

Christ, I thought the original Storm bashing thread had been resurrected, but it's just another one, LOL!

Another one, but it's still two years old!

Another one, but it's still two years old!

He he - only just noticed the year, I was looking back and thinking "I don't remember saying that recently..."

Everyone loves badges, so tomorrow after you've derfraged your Sony jeans, ironed your Prada toothbrush, and bleached your Slumberland inhaler just remember we're all short, black, white, smell, live in sets, and dislike terriers muchly.