Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Central Locking Sounds Sluggish

Is it normal for the central locking to sound quite feeble and pathetic when it operates? Mine sounds quite pathetic and sluggish and only had the car just over 2 weeks so not sure what to expect. I guess I was expecting it to be quite snappy and positive but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've done a search on here and found quite a few topics on the subject of central locking and therefore I understand that it is pump operated, but would be interested to know how it should be behaving. Is it just a trait of the pump system that means the locks don't snap on and off?

Oh ok, guess as long as it works that's the main thing. One thing I do want to do is replace those dreadful door pins - they look so out-dated. Can anyone recommend some good replacements?

I prefer the hydraulic / vacuum style system that our locks use to be honest - my Saxo used to have fast central locking but at the expense of it being electric which was loud - unlocking the car used to result in a loud THUNK from the car.

Yes the central locking does sound pretty wimpy. My old corsa door pins used to slam up and down with a right thud. I actually think I preferred it that way too :oops: Just think it sounded much more 'efficient'

Mike

Mine sounds more like a slow cow moo...

Same here, but as JimsG60 already said, I prefer it as it is a lot less loud than the electric systems that Vauxhall et all use. My parents' Vauxhalls make this really loud annoying CLICK sound, terrible, probably means that even "deaf" people know the car's (un)locked :lol:

Tempest

all new VDUBS use the electronic c/l. could maybe try and pikey a system of a old mk 4 golf polo or lupo.

G

lubricate the locking cylinder's for the boot lock & petrol flap, they seem to get a bit stiff, could be making it slower than normal.

Odd as I can barely hear mine. The only noise mine emits is a thunk as the petrol flap actuator engages. The door pins drop down quickly and silently and that's about it. There is a very faint whirr from the boot, but it's like 1 to 2 seconds worth. Hardly embarrassing or slow imo!

What is embarrassing is having a cavalier with all 4 locks constantly thunking up and down of their own accord and not being able to stop it. Very very common on those cars!!

Does the Corrado deadlock itself 30 or so seconds after locking cause I often get another central locking 'groan' not long after I have locked the car...

My last BMW used to have problems with the central locking, you'd be sitting inside and press down a door pin, the locks would all activate but then straight away all come back up again. At one point it got to the stage when they just wouldn't even stay down/locked but luckily that was the day I had it booked into the garage to have it sorted. But even after it was fixed it would sometimes still happen, was also quite noisy.

The only cavalier I ever saw doing that Kev, was doing it because the battery was almost flat. Obviously the control circuits weren't getting enough juice..

Does the Corrado deadlock itself 30 or so seconds after locking cause I often get another central locking 'groan' not long after I have locked the car...

I believe thats exactly what it does 8)

Nothing to do with the battery Matt. Mine was new. I know of 4 Cavaliers that did it and it's water ingress in the main driver's solenoid that causes it actually.

The Corrado has no deadlocks to lock, so no the pump shouldn't come on again after 30 seconds. Might be an erraneous signal from your alarm doing that?

Ok, maybe you're right. My cav never did it, it was just this one I looked at in a garage once. The guy tried to unlock it and it sat there pinging it's locks for an hour or so... I wasn't impressed, it was hugely overpriced and very tatty... I walked. :)

And yes, the C does have factory deadlocks. And yes, the pump *is* supposed to come on again after a few seconds to engage them. Most don't though, because of idiots working on the central locking system and failing to set it up correctly after the work.

mine does the 30sec lock thing, i've never stood at the back though to see if the pump makes any noise i just hear the lock click.

its got a full closure scorpion alarm!

It does the delayed-lock thing even if you use the key in the door and don't arm your immobiliser/alarm.

It's intrinsic to the locking system, nothing to do with your alarm.

Deadlocks in the C? How do they work in the C then as I've never seen them. All other cars I've had that had dealocks required an additional turn of the key so that the lock barrel is horizontal (when vertical normally). No such movement in Corrado door locks and I've not noticed any deadlocking mechanicals in the latches either...... was it a late thing?

I'll have a listen for the 30 second thing at lunch time though :lol:

Well my 1992 does it and i've heard of plenty of other Corrado's that do it - had definately heard about this deadlocking thing before and was only really posting to confirm it seeing as it seemed on topic :)

Maybe a late thing. But try locking the door with the key and the window open, you'll find you can't unlock using the door pin.