PhatVR6

PhatVR6's 4wd 24v Corrado (new brakes)

Just read the bit about the S3/TT bits.

Really interesting read and good job at helping us understand the benifits and not only that but why these parts help.

You certainly know your stuff, keep up the good work.

Few pic seeing as not much has happened recently

new Quaife Dog engagemnet 6 speed gearbox to replace the Gemini/VWMS 6 speed I had (and loved)

212356334.jpg

New wheels, had these a while but never got round to showing you lot! (18" OZ Racing F1 splits, same as Schimmel's in case you were wondering)

212356319.jpg

and a new engine after I sold the original R32 lump to Coxylaad for his own Corrado. So now I have another lump I can get on with getting it back on the road again.

212356309.jpg

Interesting pulley setup on these Audi lumps, bizarre fuel rail too, no return or FPR!! it must be regulated at the pump?

212356329.jpg

Good work Phatty, is the audi lump any different from the golf one?

Those rims look good, fill the arches nicely!

Looks the same block and head as the R32, injectors are the same pale blue colour (so I presume the same), inlet manifold is practically identical, n0t sure if throttle body is bigger, need to measure that. A few things are in different places, but it's 99% the same lump. Even the ECU code is only one digit out.

Rrocker cover and breather is different, pulley setup is TOTALLY different. no power steering pump for starters! and alternator sit much lower down too.

Exhaust headers are better, being stainless steel tubular and welded, not cheap cast crap like the R32 and 4Motion has.

Sump is totally different too, and much lower profile, which is a shame as it's smashed to peices on this example and I only have a spare 4 motion one which needs welding.

So, engine may be simialr, but as for the DSG, what a freak of a thing! it's enormous, and shockingly heavy. Should have put it in my 4motion now I think about it, I bet they are awesome to drive. but it's too much work to do in a weekend and I can't afford to keep it so it's gone already.

Still not sure whether I'll be using those rims or not, they may end up on my Mk4, depends if I can find anything else for the rado. the 18"s fit mint, but I can't help thinking it makes the car look a little tall? (even when it's slammed like that). Either way, the polished centres will be getting painted black, they are far to bling for my liking. I'm regretting selling the LM's now.

Those OZ rims are lush! Nice to see something a little different from the norm.

I hope the Quaife box proves to be good, it certainly looks it!

I was thinking about regulated pumps yesterday, oddly enough! Looks like they do exist after all then?

My mate's got another set of thise OZ splits in 17", I'll have those off him when I get the cash, they might be more suited, I can't see me getting on with 35 profile tyres. I'd never get the car to work that's for sure.

So I can have 17" F1 splits on the corrado for road, and 18" F1 splits on the mk4

But the OZ super T's for the corrado in track dress, and the R32 wheels for the mk4, a matching pair :-)

Hard work, contacts and I don't waste time. I get off my butt in the early hours of the morning or late at night and will drive anywhere in the country (or Europe even!) to get stuff if it's what I want and at the right price. I don't ring the seller up a million times asking stupid questions either.

People are always asking me how I manage to 'find' so many good parts and bargains, the simple answer is that I LOOK for them and then go for them!

Mind you, it is handy having a mate who make trailers for a living. I can borrow just about any sized trailer I want (including car trailers), and having a Golf Country on LPG makes for a fantastic cheap to run towing vehicle too. I've done 1000 miles in it in the last week picking stuff up! (40p a litre, mint :-) )

Anyone can do it, you just have to be brave and break the bank once in a while, then try and sell some stuff afterwards to pay for it! if you think "I can't afford that yet unless I sell XXX" then you don't get the deal, people beat you to it. I don't have a lot of money, but I know how to raise some as and when I need to, so I can build myself cars that I'd otherwise never dream of being able to afford to own.

Cant say fairer than that, at its obviously working!

That golf you showed me at the RR day was awsome, couldnt beleive how low the engine sat :-o

S.W.E.E.T !

I've stripped one of those Audi lumps.. nearly every part is different to that off an R32 engine! Apart from head and block! Seriously I did a swap on a blown r32 lump and we had to swap all the R32 bits over to the audi head and block!

More pics please phat of the phatness of those rims!

Cant say fairer than that, at its obviously working!

That golf you showed me at the RR day was awsome, couldnt beleive how low the engine sat :-o

Yeah, that was another one. Saw it in the trader, rang the guy and drove from York to the Wirral then next night to see it!.

Ben, pretty hard getting good pics in the garage. There's only so far away you can get away from the car before you hit a wall.

Should start seeing some real progress over xmas, got 2 weeks off. Hopefully they won't have completely shut down the workshop at work so I can get in and powdercoat the whole running gear whilst nobody is looking ;-)

Ben, pretty hard getting good pics in the garage. There's only so far away you can get away from the car before you hit a wall.

Yeah fair play chap! I just love thos rims.. ever since we saw them on Schimmel's corrado they have been one of my fav! Can' wait to have a good butchers at the finished article mate.. hurry up and get it done! :)

B

Why did you swap to the Quaife box from the Gem mate?

Strength.

It'd always bugged me that I never paid the extra £300 for the uprated input shaft (and subsequently the 1st and 2nd gears as they are machined directly onto it) when I had the box built. I just couldn't afford to go for it, and at the time I was still for a FWD golf so I didn't think i'd need them. A £1500 gear kit, £600 diff and £400 rebuild (all plus VAT) on top of another VR6 box (as the old one blowing wrecked the casing) and a £370 Helix clutch was a fair bill to stomach in one go! and i never even used it! i sold the unused Quaife Diff at a loss and had the VR6 syncro bell housing and Peloquin (another £700!) fitted a year later, again, kicking myself afterwards for not buying the input shaft.

It bugged me even more once I finally drove the car and sampled the delightful sound of semi-straight cut gearing, which I only had in 3rd-6th. I really missed the noise not being there in 1st and 2nd.

I loved the Gemini, to this day is is still the best tuning part I have ever bought, and never ever planned on selling it, in fact I was hunting for the uprated shaft but couldn't find one, then the Quaife came up for grabs at a show, so I found a buyer for mine and bought it. It came with a Helix clutch and lightened flywheel too, so once I've sold those it will have probably cost me the £300 difference the uprated shaft for the gemini would have in the first place! and it's a full straight cut dog engagment box, which I know has had nearly 500bhp put through it so I know it can handle it. Shame it has a 4.2 final drive in it....a tad short.

man id love a 3.2 are the engine mounts in the right place for a g60 bay if not is there much chopping about?

same as a VR6 conversion would be. get the vr6 subframe and mounts.

I am proud to annouce I am actually working on the Corrado properly now.

Mk4 is all but sorted now and back to a 3.2 again. Bikes have taken a back seat whilst I wait for parts to become available, and the missus's Golf country is running fine after the mission to get it through it's MOT last year. So, Corrado time....where were we..

painted the block today, good old tin of POR15 Chevy orange came out of retirement. found out that we have some RAL2004 orange powder coat at work too, almost an exact match as it happens, how convenient :-)

219839667.jpg

219839643.jpg

TT hubs on, bit of wood represeting where the strut needs to go. Stil not sure I can pull this off, the wheel seems to sit quite far forwards and I can't run any more castor than that unless I modify the turrrets. May go back to VR6 hubs.

219839653.jpg

Then my mate came round in his new TT 3.2DSG. wanted to ty on his BBS sport designs I'd powder coated for him.

219839672.jpg

thought it'd be rude not to try them on the corrado ;-)

219839661.jpg

Then we tried one of my OZ's on his TT (mutli fitment) and he offered me a straight swap there and then! so I may be using these instead of the OZ's now, maybe.