Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

A little advice/suggestions please

Ok, as all inurance companies now officially hate me, I think it's time to get something dull for a bit while I look for a decent valver C.

I need something that will get me to/from work every day (6 miles of country roads) without any hassle and cost bugger all to run. Small engine (

Ideally something VAG, but as long as it's not painfully embarrasing to be seen getting out of I don't mind too much.

So, suggestions?

Currently a 1.6 Mk3 golf is looking alright. I think it'd struggle to pull the skin off custard, let alone anything more substantial, but that's probably a good thing at the moment.

The thing is, the only one within usable distance is white with some actually quite nice 15's on. I think it looks alright (in the picture), but it is white and um well it's white, which makes selling it on a bit tricky. £1650 tho.

I would forget the mk 3 and go for a mk 2 if i were you. Would an old banger GTI be that much to insure for you? You can get a half decent one cheaper than that mk3.

I must say, I do rather like Mk2s... til you get in one and go hmmm.

Mind you, the Mk3's aren't exactly luxo territory either.

POLO MK4 16v mate...

Could be an option...they're a bit girly tho... :?

But while we're on the white theme we also have this rather nice looking GTi.. £1k to insure tho :shock: :shock:

POLO MK4 16v mate...

Could be an option...they're a bit girly tho... :?

Shhhh... Nelson Wilbury might get upset :lol:

But while we're on the white theme we also have this rather nice looking GTi.. £1k to insure tho :shock: :shock:

Yeah that's more like it.... ouch on the ins tho!

Not that Girly mate, mates got a Black one dropped on rims, goes well for a little car..

MK2's are sweet.. you thought abt a clean Vento? seem to be alot abt..

If you want Mk 3 refinement with Mk2 weight then the Seat Ibiza is a nice motor. The Cupra 8V / GTI may even be insurable as IIRC its an 11. I had one and thought it was a lovely car. The build quality really is something special. :-P

Here's one

[schild=1 fontcolor=8B0000 shadowcolor=FF0000 shieldshadow=0]1998 SEAT IBIZA 2.0 8V Cupra Sport 3dr Hatchback Bronze.Original seat twin headlamp conversion,Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Driver airbag, Electric windows, Central locking.Full main dealer service history.Very clean,very reliable.Company car forces sale. 83900 miles. £2200. Tel: 07901 726179 or 01483 764065[/schild]

what about a passat? not your typical 'boy racer' car in the eyes of the insurers so it might cost less? (or i could be talking out my rear!)

Not gonna get a Polo...they're ok when they've had a few mods done, but again insurance...

I've always quite liked the Ibizas, especially when they first came out. 2.0 might be out of the question again cos of insurance. this could be do-able tho. Shame it's not got the BBS on it any more tho :(

I'd love a Vento, but they're like rocking horse poop round here and even a 1.8 GL costs £1200 to insure :cry:

I've had a look for Passats and the new(ish) shape ones are ok. They're nice inside and go well enough for a barge too. A TDi one would be ideal, but I can't find em near me :(

I'd go for a MK2 Golf tbh.. maybe not the best interior but bloody good fun to drive and huge amounts of potential for future mods... plus if it's £400 less than the slow MK3 you were looking at then that'll help with insurance a little bit ;)

I'd go for a MK2 Golf tbh...if it's £400 less than the slow MK3 you were looking at then that'll help with insurance a little bit ;)

Well when you put it like that... :D

I love the MK2 Golf. I had a 8v and my mate has had 2 16v's now. I paid £1500 for mine and mate paid £1400 w/FSH. Cheap to run and parts cost very little too. I would love to get a g60 mk2 but we will see?? Had my mk2 for a year and nothing went wrong with it really. Always started etc. I dont like Mk3 golfs. Way too heavy :/

hey craig!

hows it going?

that top pics my old golf, did me well too!!!

missus has got a mk3, its cool enough to buzz about in but i`d get a mk2

I've had 4 mk2 golfs,love em! 1 1.3c(gutless) 1 GTI 8v and 2 GTI 16v's, i sold my 16v when i got my C 6 months back for £700, wish i could of kept it as a daily driver.

The thing is for you Dinkus you'll never lose alot of £ on one and you can change your insurance over to a C if you /when you find one.

Maybe a 1.6 driver ??

1.6 mk 2 golf, or if you really want to save cash, take the diesel route and find a 1.6 or 1.9 tdi passat. They'll happily cruise at 90mph while still returning 40mpg, and are suprisingly sure-footed.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Tom

1.6 mk 2 golf, or if you really want to save cash, take the diesel route and find a 1.6 or 1.9 tdi passat. They'll happily cruise at 90mph while still returning 40mpg, and are suprisingly sure-footed.

Yeah a 1.9 TDi passat is ideal, but I can't find one... Sure-footed is definitely a plus tho :D

The problem is, I need something by umm the 4th so I can get to work...

dinkus, what u need is a honda CRX quick cars and very cheap to ins....dunno if u could get one in your budget though

Mazda 323F. If you can put up with the 80s looks (and you find one with pop-up headlights that still work), the 1.8 16v is a fire breathing sports car and the 1.6 8v will happily embarrass most stuff up to about 50 mph. Very nippy and great engines!!

Yeah a 1.9 TDi passat is ideal, but I can't find one... Sure-footed is definitely a plus tho :D

The problem is, I need something by umm the 4th so I can get to work...

He said sure footed, not LEAD footed :lol:

Anyway, yeah get the Passat because I can then liberate it of it's glass sunroof :-P I'll even Part exchange my partially working Nice gay roof?

He said sure footed, not LEAD footed :lol:

Anyway, yeah get the Passat because I can then liberate it of it's glass sunroof :-P I'll even Part exchange my partially working Nice gay roof?

:p

And I was thinking of a newer shape (mk3?) Passat, so the sunroof won't fit. Shame :D

Just found out today that I actually get 21 days of free car-hire while I sort meself out, which makes it a little less stressful looking for a new car.