CoxyLaad

Coxys R32 4 Motion Corrado - On the Road!!!!

I need to give Coxy a ring and see if he minds me just continuing his thread. A few bits and pieces going on with the car at the moment... :)

no bother mate, fill your boots!

by the way I cannot find that mot cert anywhere - I did find it at work after you had been, but it must have been moved?

I will see if I can get a duplicate.

Ok, just a very quick update, the car is currently having a full four wheel alignment. Also, all four of the brake calipers are stripped and ready for powdercoating in an outrageous colour...black. Looking to maintain the stealthy look of the car. I will post some pics up when they come back.

In the meantime the 8v mk 2 is back in full service. What a machine...errr

Ok, it's been a while since I updated this thread, but a few things have been going on with the car in the past few months, and I have the rest of the week off work so I will be doing a few bits over the next few days. I did actually get to drive it for the first time in a while yesterday too which was nice, you do actually forget what it is like to drive them after such a long time.

So, since I bought this from Coxy I have done / had done:

Fitted some new KW V.3's - definately more pliant at low speeds, taking out a little of the harshness and road buzz of the FK Silveline X but with the same higher speed damping.

Full four wheel alignment so it steers and drives as it should, though I think I will be having this done again when I put the ride height up a tad, maybe 10mm. There are just too many poor roads and speedbumps where I live to make good progress otherwise, and I am too tight to buy a new sump!!

Front and rear calipers rebuit with new seals and powdercoated in matt black from their previous milled down finish. This should see them hide away nicely under the dark wheels.

Rear diff moved fractionally so it is now dead centre.

Lamda sensor relocated into other downpipe and holes drilled in the pipe so sensor can "see" the exhaust gases.

A couple of CV boots. Yawn.

Heater seal cover replaced and seal replaced in hope of curing the water leak. Failed.

Done today

Front screen seal removed today, cleaned around seal fitment and replaced. Tomorrow is leak testing day. Fingers crossed. Interior can then go back in properly along with electric seat loom, sound deadening, carpets, new genuine vw mats, etc.

Centre console replaced and some new R32 brushed aluminium parts purchased for the console to finish it off. New Alpine X 305 head unit with full i-pod connectivity purchased. Jut waiting for it to turn up...

Mk 6 golf gti wheel ready to go on, replace the Passat item on there at the moment.

So, jobs for the rest of the week:

Stop the leaks, all of them. Steamed up cars really annoy me these days so I want it watertight by Saturday.

Interior in up to the top of the door cards.

Glass cleaned of overspray.

Roof cleaned of overspray / polished.

Interior plastics cleaned.

And some slightly longer term projects:

New BFI engine mounts to try and stop the harsh vibration on turning hard right under mid and heavy throttle. Currently suspect gearbox is fouling the subframe in these instances.

Re-map, cold air intake, low temp stat.

Re-gas aircon before it gets too hot outside - probably about two days all year, lol.

Find trimmer to re-create the front edges of the door cards to meet the dash neatly, plus a few other bits to finish the interior.

Get the carbon bonnet painted to make the car that little more subtle.

I'm sure some other stuff will come up, but thats where I am with it at the moment. Enjoying having a running project rather than a stationary one. Oh, I think I have a rolling road day in May, so I won't be making any engine mods before that. I want to see some before and after comparisons so I can actually prove that I have wasted my money on NA tuning. He he.

Catch you soon,

N.

I know, I just seem to have been so busy, what with work and selling all my other parts. That is gradually coming to an end now so I am looking forward to doing some work on the cars I should be working on, rather than listing, boxing, sending stuff etc etc. Fingers crossed for some more updates this week!!

Well, I have made some more progress today. I checked the windscreen for seal today, all appears to be ok so the wiring loom for the electric recaro's went in, followed by the sound insulation, the carpet set, rear doorcards, rear seats and finally, the front seats. Fortunately the motors are all still working on my interior after the two plus years since they were last used so I now have pretty much the perfect driving position :)

I moved onto the glass and have cleaned the overspray from the drivers side so now, from one side at least the car is looking a little more loved.

I just need to figure out how to get the old passat steering wheel off and get my stereo in and the interior will look ok if you don't look upwards. Really looking forward to getting some bits and pieces trimmed and the doorcards done, then it will look and feel like a proper car and I can relax a bit and just drive it.

Well, I have made some more progress today. I checked the windscreen for seal today, all appears to be ok so the wiring loom for the electric recaro's went in, followed by the sound insulation, the carpet set, rear doorcards, rear seats and finally, the front seats. Fortunately the motors are all still working on my interior after the two plus years since they were last used so I now have pretty much the perfect driving position :)

I moved onto the glass and have cleaned the overspray from the drivers side so now, from one side at least the car is looking a little more loved.

I just need to figure out how to get the old passat steering wheel off and get my stereo in and the interior will look ok if you don't look upwards. Really looking forward to getting some bits and pieces trimmed and the doorcards done, then it will look and feel like a proper car and I can relax a bit and just drive it.

Is this your car now ? We need to see some vids of it doing a driveby........... ;-)

It is indeed. New tyres coming this week. I have been lapse on detail recently, I had an ECU / Water connection issue which took a lot of time to try and find / fix. Will do a proper update soon...

Nice to see it went to a good home, I drove it just before you bought it and there were a few issues which needed ironing out, as always with such a massive build. I know it's damn quick too, that engine was in my Corrado and my mk4 too, it's a belter!!

Quick update to this one as I have had the car for about a year now...

I was having trouble getting rid of some transmission vibrations under full load. I initially put this down to old engine mounts and the gearbox just touching the subframe. I bought some black forest industries fast road mounts which are supposed to be somwhere between OE and other uprated fast road mounts. To be honest they seem to be spot on, however, they still didn't cure the vibration.

So, the car was off to my friendly garage for an assessment. Much headscratching later it was decided to see where the engine was sitting. Standard mk3 mounts were put onto the engine and a poential issue was identified. The engine was sitting about an inch too far left (as in engine too far away from the drivers side chassis leg) Now, the issue with this is, you can't move the engine any further because...the chassis leg is in the way and the engine mount bracket would be in contact with the chassis leg.

Solution, the chassis leg is being "boxed", i.e, a section being taken out, the leg being reinforced, and a new mount being welded in. In addition to this, the passenger side needed a new bracket because the whole engine was going to move. These are in production as we speak so fingers crossed it will be back in one piece soon.

Oh, one other thing, now the downpipe won't fit so it will be off for a nice manifold to connect to the rest of nice system. Rarely simple these cars, lol!

Its a one off so will always be like this. Good to hear its still going strong. If I was to sell the VRT for another car this would be one I would consider.

Quick update to this one as I have had the car for about a year now...

I was having trouble getting rid of some transmission vibrations under full load. I initially put this down to old engine mounts and the gearbox just touching the subframe. I bought some black forest industries fast road mounts which are supposed to be somwhere between OE and other uprated fast road mounts. To be honest they seem to be spot on, however, they still didn't cure the vibration.

So, the car was off to my friendly garage for an assessment. Much headscratching later it was decided to see where the engine was sitting. Standard mk3 mounts were put onto the engine and a poential issue was identified. The engine was sitting about an inch too far left (as in engine too far away from the drivers side chassis leg) Now, the issue with this is, you can't move the engine any further because...the chassis leg is in the way and the engine mount bracket would be in contact with the chassis leg.

Solution, the chassis leg is being "boxed", i.e, a section being taken out, the leg being reinforced, and a new mount being welded in. In addition to this, the passenger side needed a new bracket because the whole engine was going to move. These are in production as we speak so fingers crossed it will be back in one piece soon.

Oh, one other thing, now the downpipe won't fit so it will be off for a nice manifold to connect to the rest of nice system. Rarely simple these cars, lol!

So you have driven it under load then. Surely if you can afford Coxys old Raddo, you can afford a Camcorder............... COME ON, I want to See and Hear this car on a Video :brickwall: :grin:

PLEASE

HI mate,

Have you ever checked the DSG flywheel? they are are prone to failure and warping and causing vibration. This is a quite a common problem so much so VW/Audi sell a specific repair kit for it. Not sure what it consists of as it is listed as merely a DSG repair kit :scratch:

friend of mine had one for 3.2 TT, went through a whole load of stuff before the real culprit was identified.

HI mate,

Have you ever checked the DSG flywheel? they are are prone to failure and warping and causing vibration. This is a quite a common problem so much so VW/Audi sell a specific repair kit for it. Not sure what it consists of as it is listed as merely a DSG repair kit :scratch:

friend of mine had one for 3.2 TT, went through a whole load of stuff before the real culprit was identified.

Hi there, no I haven't to date, this is not running the DSG box, just the 02M setup from an R32 / 4 Mo.

Ok video already Neil...

Full on launch please lol. Alternatively pop round mine and you can record while i do the launching lol

So, a quick update on the progress on this...

1. Still no pictures :(

2. Chassis legs boxed, new mount brackets made and welded in. Engine now sits in the exact correct position on mk4 engine mounts :) I also have an OE dogbone mount too now so nice and secure in that direction too. Plenty of clearance between the gearbox and subframe now. The guys at J-Tech have done a really cracking job on this.

3. Because the engine is no longer in quite the same place the car is currently away at simpsons race exhausts having a nice 6 branch manifold made. Mmmmm.

Things to do when I get the car back from Simpsons

1. Get the bay tidied up and painted so the engine mounts and chassis legs look OEM

2. Subframe to be powdercoated

3. Geometry reset

4. MoT

5. Finish interior

Not much, lol.

I think it will be quite nice when done. I will do some tidying in the bay too, make things a little neater. Nothing "show car" but just nice and neat. I promise to get some pics up when I get the car back from Simpsons. On that note, I need to get a progress update for my new manifold :)