CoxyLaad

Coxys R32 4 Motion Corrado - On the Road!!!!

Again I had this when I got my car back. Sounded great to start with but on the motorway it was too loud. The induction note seems to be loudest bewteen 2-3000rpm. I removed the cone and fitted a BMC dia and it quietened down a bit. I then refitted the CAT and that has made a fair difference, the noise is more sublte and its much more acceptable. If you can live with it Id fit the cats on.

what difference does the cats make to the power

I would have thought they would be quite restrictive, when you look at them

Cats make minimal difference in normally aspirated motors.

On a turbo motor they only rob 5-10%, but only because you have to retard the ignition due to increased back pressure.

But no doubt the VW cats could be freer flowing, so maybe 1 sports cat underneath would work just as a bit of noise reduction? Will help with the MOT too :D

As for acoustic foam, I had a load of this in my boot during my Audio obsession days and it's fruitin unbelievable at noise reduction :D - http://www.acoustic-foam.co.uk/acoustictiles/afp45/

For thinner stuff, you need some self adhesive foam pads, about 6-8mm thick. Audioscape used to sell them, but I can't find similar stuff on line.

Any interior parts that rub together, line with felt also. Seriously, it makes a massive difference to driver enjoyment not being irritated by squeaks and rattles.

what difference does the cats make to the power

I would have thought they would be quite restrictive, when you look at them

Ive noticed very little if any drop in performance. Thats from a standard VR single Cat .

man i hate squeaks and rattles!

where do you get that felt tape from?

I have a set of 4motion cats, I could always use them if necessary. we shall see.

I got a big roll of self adhesive black felt from John Lewis's sewing schitt area. I was only down there because the missus was looking at curtain material, cough... :lol:

It's canny stuff, works really well 8)

if it's any use to you i have an absolutely mint set of manifolds and cats from a mk5 r32. they are a better design than the nasty mk4 downpipes and they incorperate the downpipe/flexi/cats all into one unit - quite nice actually.

i would only be after £100 for them and they have done barely 12k.

only thing you would need is a stud or two where they've sheared on the manifold, but those aren't expensive from vw...

car sounds lovely as always - get some more pics up for us, it's been a while :D

hi pete,

I think i already have that setup myself, are teh headers some sort of weird stainless steel half tubular affair? that is an option for the front section of my exhaust, plus it will flow a lot better than the rubbish mk4 r32 downpipes.

hi pete,

I think i already have that setup myself, are teh headers some sort of weird stainless steel half tubular affair? that is an option for the front section of my exhaust, plus it will flow a lot better than the rubbish mk4 r32 downpipes.

i would have to get you a piccie now, but basically the downpipes/flexis/cats are all one piece.

the two downpipes come off manifolds similar to those on the vr, into two big/long flexis (about 1 foot long each) and then into the individual cats which then go into the single pipe afterwards.

the part where exits from the cats join into one single pipe and then stops is roughly about where the end of the cat is on the standard vr exhaust, if that makes sense...

the mk4 r32 downpipes are horrible wriggly restrictive nasty looking things

yes mate i have that setup in the garage already. I will probablies just use that in all fairness. Least i will be doing my bit for the environment! and I suppose the additional restriction of the cats will be offset by the removal of that ludicrous r32 downpipe.

yes mate i have that setup in the garage already. I will probablies just use that in all fairness. Least i will be doing my bit for the environment! and I suppose the additional restriction of the cats will be offset by the removal of that ludicrous r32 downpipe.

if you've got those then i take it you've got the mk5 manifolds as i'm certain they're different to the mk4 items...

and yes, (imo here obviously), the mk5 setup looks much better than the mk4, both in design and for flow rate.

milltek don't actually make the manifolds for the r32 anymore as they used to - think the mk5 setup is good enough and milltek kept on getting recalls with their flexi joints anyway. only snag is that you can't fit sports cats now unless you either go for the mk4 setup or have a custom manifold made up...

Do mein eyes deceive me?!!

Insured and nearly MOTd!? you obviously haven't been spending enough time talking rubbish on MSN with me.

Awesome news mate, really looking forward to seeing this when I get back, lets hope I can drop by in mine :gag:

And what's this about Oz? I left Perth last week after 2 months traveling across the top from Gold Coast, got a fooking speeding ticket on the last day driving! Typical. :hitler:

hey hey! now then lozza!

long time no speak, i hope life is treating you good mate. Oz is a pipe dream at the moment, but definately a consideration for the future.

yes mate almost road legal, by the time you get back it should be the complete article - you arent coming back until 2015 right? lol

cheers dude, theres a lot more chance of seeing it now cos its just passed its test!!! woop!

I am now road legal for the first time in a million years!

some snaps from today:

the offending lambda probes removed and some nice shiney new ones fitted up, brought the hydrocarbon emissions down from 8300 to 140!

IMG_0809.jpg

Lets go drive! :D

IMG_0810.jpg

amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin amazin!!!

really glad it's finally come together for you pal - make sre you keep us all updated on how it's going running it all in etc.

very very interested to hear your opinion on the final prodct once oyu've got everything more or less how you want it....

oh, and well done on finishing it - AT LAST!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:eek: Feckin awesome mate, bet you're happy, i love it, looks stock, love the colours, one of the best without doubt :clap:

Truly awesome work. So glad you've finally sorted it and can now enjoy and tweak it. Jealousy is now my middle name. :grin:

thanks dudes, well I wouldn't call this finished by any stretch of the imagination, but its certainly a step forward.

At the moment its way too rattley and noisey for my liking, and theres a knock somewhere on the drivetrain - i suspect one of the driveshafts may need its length altering a bit.

doorcards need finishing off, rest of the interior needs bolting down properly, couple of bits in the engine bay to sort out, and the glass and seals need replacing for me to be happy with them.

But the main thing is its on the road now, and it looks like I imagined it should look. Oh and it goes like a bullet, which is good because i still have the charger to fit :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

About bloody time!! :lol:

Would love to see this some day, actually Durham would be a nice lengthy first drive in my R32 ;) :lol:

What happened to the Porka seats mate?? Or are they coming at a later date??

Dream motor right there - R32 4motion rado. oooofff :notworthy: