CoxyLaad

Coxys R32 4 Motion Corrado - On the Road!!!!

I'm not usually one for gushing, but that really is a very nice looking car :salute:. I want those wheels!

Thanks, I think it needs the side strips putting back on it, to break up colour a bit.

The wheels are a one off, and required a lot of machining to get to fit!

Feels great to be back the C after a long while hey? LOL

Hows your rear camber? Also see you mentioned alignment, mine has completely destroyed a new set of tyres? wish I'd got that sorted before putting on new tyres :censored:

yep its great to be back. and its good to know that a 4wd corrado still oozes all the character of a normal corrado!

yep you will munch through rear tyres if you dont get the camber sorted. You can see my ride height, and I have the vr6 syncro rear arms which reduce camber further, but it still has too much camber for my liking. I have some camber adjustment plates that i am going to weld onto the axle to allow my to set my camber. Hopefully will be getting that done this week, then I will be getting it booked in for a full 4 wheel alignment.

Every 4wd corrado needs this doing. I can get the plates manufactured, if anyone is interested.

The main problem i am having now is the engine is throwing a cam position fault code up, Not 100% what is going on there...more investigation needed.

Does it tell you which sensor?

Did it do that when PhatVR6 had it in his car? And is it the correct ECU for the engine? You've also got 268s in it IIRC? As you know, the R32 flavoured 24V detects cam timing as part of the VVT process, so I'm just wondering if it's just a simple sensor fault, or if the longer duration cams you've got are throwing it off, but the fault code for that should have been written out in the software. Dunno mate, just guessing :D

Seems to get a lot of gawping when i am driving about, but i suppose they are pretty rare now.

You are far too modest mate. Your car looks feckin lush and that's why people are looking at it :salute:

yep its great to be back. and its good to know that a 4wd corrado still oozes all the character of a normal corrado!

yep you will munch through rear tyres if you dont get the camber sorted. You can see my ride height, and I have the vr6 syncro rear arms which reduce camber further, but it still has too much camber for my liking. I have some camber adjustment plates that i am going to weld onto the axle to allow my to set my camber. Hopefully will be getting that done this week, then I will be getting it booked in for a full 4 wheel alignment.

Every 4wd corrado needs this doing. I can get the plates manufactured, if anyone is interested.

TBH the rears have not worn too bad at all, which is surprising looking at the camber, the camber is annoying tho.

The fronts tyres have been wrecked tho, my fault for not paying for a proper alignment after having everything apart I guess.

Would be interested in seeing your camber solution tho :)

The main problem i am having now is the engine is throwing a cam position fault code up, Not 100% what is going on there...more investigation needed.

Does it tell you which sensor?

Did it do that when PhatVR6 had it in his car? And is it the correct ECU for the engine? You've also got 268s in it IIRC? As you know, the R32 flavoured 24V detects cam timing as part of the VVT process, so I'm just wondering if it's just a simple sensor fault, or if the longer duration cams you've got are throwing it off, but the fault code for that should have been written out in the software. Dunno mate, just guessing :D

hmm not sure to be honest, need to check that. I think i know what it is anyway. I seem to momentarily lose my speed speed signal on the car, as I can see the speedo flicker a touch, and the ecu needs that speed signal. I think its looking at the engine revs, then the speed, and the load and cam position, and thinking thats not possible. Well in my head anyways. All teething troubles, and will be sorted.

phat had similar errors when he didnt have a speed signal wired up at all, so its sort of pointing that way. Ecu and the cams match. It will be something simple I am sure. the rest of the car is fine.

Seems to get a lot of gawping when i am driving about, but i suppose they are pretty rare now.

You are far too modest mate. Your car looks feckin lush and that's why people are looking at it :salute:

cheers dude, its how i like my cars to look. I always try and think what would the manufacturer do with the corrado shell today, and this is my attempt at what it should look like. Theres nowt for show on the car, it all has a purpose. I flick the bell end of the word 'stance' lol

I flick the bell end of the word 'stance' lol

yet yours is spot on? lovely

Thats good to hear, I was wondering if 4WD changed the feel of the car in any adverse ways.

nah they are just shocked to see it actually on the road! :lol:

looking good coxy! V sutble as well :)

i've neglected my project for 2 long, got back on it in the past month and finished the floor now, what a PITA!! the only thing i'm missing is the support brackets that hold the rear end on to the cast body brackets, they've been discontinued. They're a vw part, no 191505099C, do you have any spares kicking around i might be able to borrow and measure to make some news ones?

no spare brackets mate, everything i have is attached to the car.

But I could do some measurements if you wanted?

edit: I just completed a 25mile round trip, just pootling along at sedate normal speeds and it returned 36mpg! woop!

I was driving like a fadge though.

wow just spent ages reading through this, im convering my mk3 into haldex and i thought that was complicated but this is a total different level some realy impressive work there bud

Lovely car matey :notworthy: , and to think its your own work. Wish I had the knowledge. Did you ever feel like giving in. Hopefully next years meets we can compare cars :salute:

Did you ever feel like giving in. Hopefully next years meets we can compare cars :salute:

did i not! I was selling the car on numerous occasions over the last 5 year, only thing that stopped me was the fact that no one would buy it in bits lol

I have never been one for shows and stuff, but I may go to a few next year.

Small update:

Replaced the ECU relay, and the cam position sensors, and the maf on friday, reset the ecu, and I havent had another error code since.

pleased thats sorted now. just got to make sure all the mechanicals are ok now.

I have a bit more confidence to give it a bit more and it goes very very well indeed. Has a lovely m3 style raspy bark to it, and the pull at 3000 to 4000rpm is just awesome. It all goes a bit crazy above there with the cams and stuff, but for brisk (read rapid) progress, the midrange is awesome, and it retains the purity of an NA motor.

I am not sure i need the charger!

Small update:

Replaced the ECU relay, and the cam position sensors, and the maf on friday, reset the ecu, and I havent had another error code since.

pleased thats sorted now. just got to make sure all the mechanicals are ok now.

I have a bit more confidence to give it a bit more and it goes very very well indeed. Has a lovely m3 style raspy bark to it, and the pull at 3000 to 4000rpm is just awesome. It all goes a bit crazy above there with the cams and stuff, but for brisk (read rapid) progress, the midrange is awesome, and it retains the purity of an NA motor.

I am not sure i need the charger!

Coxy's back :clap:

Great to see your enthusiasm return mate!

Your car sounds wicked! Know what you mean about the midrange. Tooling around in Rob's yesterday was fun, despite it being ill. The inlet/exhaust rasping sounds sublime and it was pulling strongly in 5th from right down low the rev band. I can see why VW put it a 4WD platform. It spins the wheels VERY easily in a FWD application, but that's partly down to the snatchy throttle behaviour at low rpms!

:D cheers mate :)

yes the throttle is a bit switch like, takes a bit of getting used to how quickly the engine picks up. In the back of my head i was considering a lightened flywheel, but feck that! it would be ridiculous!

I may have to go to the 45 profile tryes though mate, first gear is practically pointless! come to think of it so is second - I can pull away in third without any problems!

haha - when i had mine running it had a lightened flywheel - 1st was unusable for anything other than tickling away; put your foot down and it would spin all day.

it was that bad that you could already be moving (say doing 10mph) and put your foot down in 1st and it would still spin - crazy! :nuts:

they are wicked fun aren't they?!

Ian would it not be simpler just to fit a different final drive?

although i do realise you are a little bored of working on it now!

That's what I saying to Rob on Saturday, it may be easier to just pull away with the clutch only!! Will the R32 let you do that?

Not quite as straight forward doing Final drives on the O2M mate. There's 2 of them for a start (One for 1st to 4th and one for 5th & 6th) and you need to spend some time calculating the gearing and rpm drops you want and finding the FDs from VAG's stock accordingly....and there are dozens of O2M ratios :?

Live with the brutal acceleration I say :D Or go 45s :wink:

haha - when i had mine running it had a lightened flywheel - 1st was unusable for anything other than tickling away; put your foot down and it would spin all day.

it was that bad that you could already be moving (say doing 10mph) and put your foot down in 1st and it would still spin - crazy! :nuts:

they are wicked fun aren't they?!

Ian would it not be simpler just to fit a different final drive?

although i do realise you are a little bored of working on it now!

problem is I am running an 02M gearbox, which has 2 final drives! no idea how it works, apart from one does the first 3 gears and the other does the top 2.

Sounds like a complex setup to me. I am no gearbox expert either. 70mph in top is 2800rpm. With 6 closely spaced ratios like that makes for crazy acceleration.

Took the girlfriend out in it at the weekend. Good job she likes her extreme sports cos she nearly cacked herself when i set it away :lol:

edit: as kev says :) I think the gears are fine now, as sub 3000rpm at 70mph is acceptable, but if i install the charger i am not sure my gearchanging arm is capable of moving that fast lol

clearly :wave:

yeah the r32 will let you pull away with just the clutch, but with mine, the 02M box interfacing with the corrado clutch mastercylinder has an affect of sharpening up the clutch action considerably. when you first drive it feels like its either on or off, but you get used to it. its actually quite smart, all the controls on my my car are now razor sharp, accelerator, brakes and clutch.

Just how it should be.