davidwort

davidwort's 16v - looking a bit shinier

got in the mood for doing something to MDP (the 8v) this evening

firstly, a big thank you to eupognosaj for the proper front grille and the spare bumper :salute:

a few pics:

Corrado92.pdfP1010019_low.JPG[/attachment:18csyj1j]

needs a good clean, but pretty much everything in the right place inside:

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP1010022low.JPG[/attachment:18csyj1j]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP1010024low.JPG[/attachment:18csyj1j]

before:

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfP1010017low.JPG[/attachment:18csyj1j]

now looks like it should from the front:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1010027newgrille.JPG[/attachment:18csyj1j]

manky front flange :nono:

front-flange.jpg[/attachment:18csyj1j]

...that's gone in the bin, very cracked and bodged up with silicon sealant everywhere, yuck.

one on the end of the head much the same, nice clean new ones now in place.

Unbelievable - garages should be shot for using silicon for the sake of a 50p O ring or at worst £5 for a new bit of plastic!

more fun with the 8v:

new fuel filter on... good

new oil and filter... good

new thermostat, runs at right temp now...good

new rear tyres... good

radio now works ... yay!

fan speeds fixed with new thermal fuse ...yay!

front wishbone bushes and track rods are a little iffy, but OK for now ... mmmm.

someones fitted a passat heater control panel and the fan speed marks don't line up with the corrado facia ... little booo!

worst thing though, the flap control arm for the windows, face vents, floor direction actually on the main heater box is sheared off, dash out job think... booooooooooo!

and a shed load of painting stuff just arrived:

Grey Cellulose Industrial Primer 1L High Build

High Gloss Cellulose Thinner 5 Litres

3M Disposable Paint Spray Respirator Face Mask 06941

VW & Audi Group Classic & Vintage Car Paint

Cellulose Codes & Colours - Cellulose 500ml Tin £15.95

Vehicle Colour & Code: Sherry Pearl Metallic LP7Z

VW & Audi Group Classic & Vintage Car Paint

Cellulose Codes & Colours - Cellulose 1 Litre Tin £24.95

Vehicle Colour & Code: Gloss Black L041

Panel Wipe De-greaser by SWS Quality Solvent 5L

3M Scotch Masking Tape Roll 2" 48mm x 50m

Filler Spreaders Pack of 10

U-POL Quick Sand Body filler 670ml / 2.1L - 670ml

U-POL Maximum Professional Disposable Hooded

Painters Overalls LARGE or XLARGE - Large

Clear Plastic Car Paint Mixing Cups x 50 600ml

tak rags

paint filters

10m air hose

60cm whip hose

in-line water trap

sealey 1.4mm HVLP spray gun

stuff.jpg[/attachment:phlfwdn3]

i want some 8v action in my life...which is kind of ironic after all the trouble puting a 16v head on my car.

A nice late low maint(is there such a thing??) corrado would make a nice daily tho...

yep, the 8v continues to consume every spare minute I have.

aerial base seal is shot, but after removing the aerial I discover this:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfaerials.jpg[/attachment:fmow3w6n]

wot's that all about then, 1994 8v one is on the right, early one is on the left :scratch:

Next, why was the drivers door knob missing?

Answer: it was in the bottom of the door, due to this little plastic link clip (the bit that slots onto the lever on the back of the door striker mechanism) what a crap design, fortunately I had a slightly chipped but serviceable one on one of my spare doors.

Spare one connected to the lock rods, old one off on it's own below.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfdoor_lock_clip.jpg[/attachment:fmow3w6n]

Lastly, tonight I tackled the fuseboard and immobiliser alarm spaghetti, at least the power windows work now, daren't start to completely remove it as several lengths of original live feed wires seem to have been totally removed and the alarm loom inserted in between, I friggin hate aftermarket rubbish like this, more likely to fry your car than save you from theft :roll:

fuseboard.jpg[/attachment:fmow3w6n]

David, The ariel on the right is the same as all our late cars too so guess they swapped over design somewhere alone the line with later models.

More stuff for the 8v, headlight glass and PAS and Alternator belts:

new-h-glass-belts.jpg[/attachment:2ztc0mim]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfold-headlight.jpg[/attachment:2ztc0mim]

what should have been a fairly quick job was thwarted by the rear headlight fixing screw, bloody things, ended up drilling it out and it took the best part of two hours to do it all and clean everything up :mad2:

how much is headlight glass from vag :eek: ?

Genuine one in VAG box from ECP is £38 retail (including VAT), I got it for £29 + VAT trade (couple of quid off)

Enjoyin' watching the progress on this David.

Your doing everything i wanted Ed to do to it but sadly didn't.

Keep up the good work and i'll love to swing by some time and have a natter as i work in Northampton during the week.

few more minor bits, had the battery, nearside light, PAS reservoir and washer bottle out to clean stuff up, particularly to clean and protect the battery tray.

behind the light and the battery tray was pretty grimy and a few spots of rust, cleaned up and given a bit of rust treatment and protection for the winter a very worthwhile job on any Corrado before corrosion really sets in.

how it was initially:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfnear_s_light_out.jpg[/attachment:wl0how7k]

given a clean and some paint, then after this it had a liberal coating of protective wax, my local ToolStation does cans of protective wax for just over 2 quid and it's basically the same as the VW stuff that is 5 times as much at least!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfnear_s_light_out_clean.jpg[/attachment:wl0how7k]

then gave the washer bottle a good clean inside and out and the battery tray, clamp etc all got protective wax too.

battery_back_in.jpg[/attachment:wl0how7k]

tomorrow it's having 2 more new tyres, a compression and emission check (might have the head off if some of the valves are suspect) keeps giving 'pops' on the overrun, still a flowed head may yet come out of it :)

Nice work Dave, did you change the Lambda sensor on her yet? ive just done it on my 8v and it runs far better now, its sharper and idles smoother when hot without the back firing

Nice work Dave, did you change the Lambda sensor on her yet? ive just done it on my 8v and it runs far better now, its sharper and idles smoother when hot without the back firing

that sounds like a good idea, will check that out this eve, can't believe it's burnt valves as it goes OK once cruising, just a bit hesitant on pulling away from low revs, smells rich and pops on the overrun, so could well be :salute:

Depending on how keen you get with the spray gun, I have a brand new Devilbiss Compact HVLP Gun with loads of spares collecting dust on top of my wardrobe if interested?

Ian.

that sounds like a good idea, will check that out this eve, can't believe it's burnt valves as it goes OK once cruising, just a bit hesitant on pulling away from low revs, smells rich and pops on the overrun, so could well be :salute:

Sounds exactly like what mine was doing, i was told only to fit a bosch lambda, here is a link to the cheapest bosch lambda i could find, also have an M18 x 1.5 tap close at hand, incase you damage the threads, like i did :)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/POWERSPARKS_LA ... ec0Q2em322

with the exception of yesterday evening where I managed to knock an inner CV joint bearing out of it's race by whacking the outer CV joint back on too hard after a boot change :roll: I've had a reasonably productive evening and morning.

The 16v now has it's driveshaft back on :lol: and I've had another bash at painting the new wing for the 8v.

I've never attempted spraying before (apart from some practice on another old panel) and it's not going too bad.

Only using cellulose, so a twin filter 3M mask is up to the job, I'm avoiding nasty 2K paint for the present time.

The heath-robinson spray booth :)

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfgarage1.jpg[/attachment:1339f07e]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfwinginprimer2.jpg[/attachment:1339f07e]

2nd coat of primer on the late wing:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfwinginprimer.jpg[/attachment:1339f07e]

this little chap dropped by, seemed to be snacking on ants!

woody.jpg[/attachment:1339f07e]

looking good dave, fancy setting up something similar myself when i eventually paint my wheels, do you intend to give the lacquer a go as well?

that B&D workbench of yours takes some abuse :lol:

nice - loving the pic of the woodpecker, can't believe he's there like that on your lawn - do you live out in the sticks?

also, nice looking job on the primer. depending on what sort of finish you're after i would consider taking the wing and having it painted professionally in an oven.

home painting is all well and good - but it will NEVER be as good as a "proper" job. obviously if you're doing it on the cheap then that's fair enough, but i'm not a fan of home paint jobs.

saying that, i was v impressed when i saw your 16v at the stealth day a while ago, so you obviously don't mind spending the cash to do things properly :D

good to see your finally painting mate! i know you have been saying for a while your going to do it. I got my mate to spray my valver and he doesnt use a oven, and its come out mint (see my thread) ...

im all for diy painting, a good wet sand and polish with some good compound polishes and it will be better than the crappy orange peel german cars come with nowadays! after you have done that it should be like a mirror 8)

(like your little spray booth to :D )

attacking the 8v now, tonights escapades included jacking the car up on stands, fitting and setting up the engine support removing both front wheels and starting to strip the suspension and wishbones out.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP1010239.JPG[/attachment:3ct60c1q]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfwishbone.jpg[/attachment:3ct60c1q]

really good nick this wishbone, original VAG one stamped 1994, rear bushing is shot though, fair enough after all those years and miles

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1010246.JPG[/attachment:3ct60c1q]

arse, arse and double arse, kindly left for me by one of the previous owners, looks like it's been sheared off for a long time, totally covered in grime before I poked away at it

P1010249.jpg[/attachment:3ct60c1q]

should be fun to drill out :roll:

both suspension legs out and stripped down now, those top mounting cap nuts were no match for the air impact gun :D

other wishbone out, another original one date stamped 1994, in fact so are the strut top mounts, they've done bloddy well :shock:

the offside rear wishbone bush just came out of the outer metal sleeve with my fingers, never seen that before, come unbonded from the outer metal rim, both bushes slightly split so definitely on their last legs.

P1010250.JPG[/attachment:199ohlpm]

Another few hours spent on the 8v, springs, suspension legs, rad cowl de-rusted and painted up,

new bushings in the wishbones and the gearbox cleaned up.

clutch friction disk was a nats-winkle from the rivets, so no wonder it was feeling a bit on the heavy side.

front and gearbox mount are beyond it and the gearshift relay lever is cracked - no surprise there, crap bits of plastic.

New top mounts, drop links and arb bushes to go in.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfpainted.jpg[/attachment:2hkfxlct]

Corrado92.pdfrad-cover.jpg[/attachment:2hkfxlct]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdffront-mount.jpg[/attachment:2hkfxlct]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfgbox-mnt.jpg[/attachment:2hkfxlct]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfg-box-dirty.jpg[/attachment:2hkfxlct]

gboc-clean.jpg[/attachment:2hkfxlct]

notice the skateboard :lol:

Yeah 8)

I'm guessing it was a bit easier to clean as it was not insitu but what did you use?

When Kip had his off the VR he was able to water blast it or something. I need to get mine cleaner but just seem to spread muck about from one place to another. :shrug: :help: