davidwort

davidwort's 16v - looking a bit shinier

A random pic from gaydon earlier this year, sits much better now the rear konis have had another spring baseplate groove machined at about 10mm higher than the normal top position, those pesky eibach springs...

Corrado92.pdfIMG_4729.JPG[/attachment:3fk1kxsx]

arse, april 2009 when the CV boot split and splattered grease everywhere, god knows what stabbed it :shrug:

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfIMG_4739.JPG[/attachment:3fk1kxsx]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfIMG_4741.JPG[/attachment:3fk1kxsx]

new boot next to old, both pattern parts, new one has an extra lip/bead?

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_4743.JPG[/attachment:3fk1kxsx]

tidying a few things up after the front bearings changed, cleaned and repainted hub and carrier:

IMG_4600.JPG[/attachment:3fk1kxsx]

After finally managing to get the siezed rear bumper mounting bolts out, one which had to be drilled out, I set to work cleaning up the scruffy bumper iron, still pretty solid considering it's been hanging out the back of the car for 20 years.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfrear1.jpg[/attachment:3mbd3fgy]

then a bit of a closer inspection,

pain to remove all the cover clip wedges and then squeeze all the plastic barbs to get the cover off, but it doesn't take long

Corrado92.pdfrear-bracket1.jpg[/attachment:3mbd3fgy]

bottom cover strengthening panel is close to shot, but it doesn't do much anyway

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfrear-inside.jpg[/attachment:3mbd3fgy]

ah, that's better, bought a cheap big can of green hammerite so I might as well use it :lol:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfpainted-2.jpg[/attachment:3mbd3fgy]

then a liberal coating with VAG protective wax, good stuff but it stinks :gag:

did the other side in this too before putting the cover back on.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfpainted-inside.jpg[/attachment:3mbd3fgy]

pushing the centre wedges back into the cover barbs

pushing-clips.jpg[/attachment:3mbd3fgy]

Some nice pics there Dave, did a rear bearing on Judes 8v yesterday too! I quite like that little job when all comes off ok :clap:

Good work, pics and writeups, davidwort. :salute:

I recognised that pic of grease splatter from burst CV boot on inside of wheel. Previous car did that once. Worth remembering that one if any of you wonder why the inside of the front wheel is filthy and greasy.

well I've read countless accounts on how to remove the front bumper but never seen any pics of it (I'm sure there are some somewhere),

so thought I'd take a few pics as I did the job.

Main aim of this mission was to get plenty of underbody wax spray over the radiator support panel as it takes such a bashing from the road spray and dirt.

This is all early 16v/G60 specific, as these cars have the brake cooling ducts

two main 17mm bolts that need to come out either side of the front cross member, leave the middle small one and help support the engine either from above with an engine support or below with a jack ot stand:

th_mounting_bolts.jpg

outside temp sensor, sits just inside the brake duct on the early cars

th_mfa-sensor.jpg

arch liner bolts to remove, blue ones are for brake duct

th_arch_liner_fixings.jpg

pulling bumper forward after gently prising the edge lip of the arch liner out of the way

th_bumper_remove.jpg

cover behind headlight, remove to get access to indicator/fog loom connector

th_fog_indicator_loom_connection.jpg

dropping down indicator loom from inner wing

th_removing_loom.jpg

the front with the bumper off, grubby but not too rusty, it's had plenty of hammerite and wax in the past!

th_front_off.jpg

one bust bumper side support to be replaced with a 99p e-bay bargain - which has sat in my garage for 5 years :lol:

th_side-brackets.jpg

grubby but very solid back of the bumper, it's at least 16 years old, possibly replaced in a bump in the first 2 years of the car's life

th_rear_of_bumper.jpg

everything has had a clean, paint and wax spray now, should protect it for at least this winter, need to order a bunch of arch liner screws etc now

have some more dull pics of removing the fogs and indicators but this isn't needed as the looms can be detatched in the engine bay

and for putting things back together, the 17mm bolts (the front bumper ones) are 85Nm, the 13mm one for the radiator support panel only is 25Nm

The arch liner bolts now come as screws, and you need a set of penny washers for them. I fitted genuine screws and some galvanised or plated washers we had lying around along with copious amounts of waxoyl. Should make removing the arch liners a lot easier next time. :)

ah right, actually I found a torx head screw amongst my random bits and bobs with the same thread and depth and the washer built in, it's a mk4 golf fixing so I might order a bunch of those, not sure they would last the 20 years the original corrado bolts did though, they've done incredibly well considering they sit in the wheel arch!

Nice write up David! looks like you have been busy :)

where does the outside temp sensor wiring come from? is it iff the lighting loom or was it the engine loom? As I can't seem to find mine :scratch:

...where does the outside temp sensor wiring come from? is it iff the lighting loom or was it the engine loom? As I can't seem to find mine :scratch:

you see the pic above where the indicator wiring is coming down from the inner wing, well the temp sensor wire is the black sheathed cable to the left of my hand, I think it comes out of a hole a bit further back from the indicator/fog wiring, and presumably it's slightly different on post 92 cars without the brake ducts.

a bit off topic but i don't spose yu know the torque for the 13mm bolt inbetween the two bumper 17mmb bolts in your first picture do you?

from Mr Yandards:

The 17mm bolts (the front bumper ones) are 85Nm, the 13mm one for the radiator support panel only is 25Nm.

dave my fellow northampton man!

are the bumper side supports the bits that attach the bumpers to the wings? do you have a part number at all? just broke the drivers side reversing off a drive and catching it on the curb...

passenger side is 535 807 193, I'd imagine the driver side is something like 535 807 192, haven't checked that one though.

latest addition to the toolkit, a bargain second hand buy, nice and quiet belt drive and the biggest one I can run on a 13 amp 240V supply 8)

chap I bought it from used it for spraying mustangs he restores, 6 coats of paint and 5 of laquer on the one he had in his paint booth :shock: was like looking in a mirror, beautiful motors.

was ****ing heavy to lift in the back of the golf though :lol:

I've got big plans for painting, blasting hammering etc :)

comp.jpg[/attachment:2phpnjrj]

latest addition to the toolkit, a bargain second hand buy, nice and quiet belt drive and the biggest one I can run on a 13 amp 240V supply 8)

chap I bought it from used it for spraying mustangs he restores, 6 coats of paint and 5 of laquer on the one he had in his paint booth :shock: was like looking in a mirror, beautiful motors.

was ****ing heavy to lift in the back of the golf though :lol:

I've got big plans for painting, blasting hammering etc :)

comp.jpg[/attachment:rq6e5nm9]

Nice. :)

Does it have the CFM written on the side.

I want to go down this route eventually. 8)

according to sealey this one is about 10CFM free air delivery and about 14 displacement, which means it should cope with just about every tool even a medium sized sand blasting gun, no way it would do a spray gun and an air fed mask though, those masks need a hoofing great industrial compressor running on 3 phase electric, I'll just have to hold my breath while painting :lol:

Well done mate - yeah that looks a beast, should keep you busy for a while - compressor has been one of my best buys, so many uses!

Like I said to you on Sunday, try and get a decent Snap-On or BluePoint windy gun (look on eBay) and a proper PCL tyre gauge - these things will last forever if looked after!

For other tools then checkout Toolstation as they do some nice cheap kit that is reasonable quality.

Just read through this thread and wow, looks like a amazing valver 8)

Defo one to luck up too. :notworthy:

Best 16v I;ve ever driven- smooth power delivery, with a nice amount of torque. The unadjustable column adds another dimension to the car- feels so much more tight and solid than the adjustable columns 8) Defo want to go with a 2.0 bottom end at some stage- will have to pick your brains re that one, Dave :)

today I have been mostly fitting a new wing, had it sitting around ready to go on for ages, but reckoned the hottest day of the year would be good for getting the old sealant out and dry for sealing a new panel in.

Very sound under the old wing, looks like it was the original, just scabby round the arch from damage repair years ago.

Finally the tube of VAG seam sealant I got from Stanford Hall last year came in handy :)

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP1000634_low.JPG[/attachment:398g7mbe]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP1000636low.JPG[/attachment:398g7mbe]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1000635low.JPG[/attachment:398g7mbe]

P1000641low.JPG[/attachment:398g7mbe]