Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Steamiest car ever.

The longer I have the Corrado, the more I think it is poorly designed and built.

The latest thing I have found is that, after taking it out of the garage on a cold day, the amount of water vapour that has to clear from inside the car is phenomenal.

The heater and bodywork do not leak, but water caught in places in the vehicle when it was last out does not drain - it has to be turned into steam first and then blown out (like Alien?).

Although you can dry the outside of the vehicle properly, quite clearly, pockets of water are caught up around the windscreen/dashboard/vents area and you have to suffer steamy windows for a good part of an hour before the inside is dry again.

What a pi## poor car, but I still like some aspects of it. A pity it was not more perfect, though. Is the Corrado over rated? Its the best car Ive ever driven but Ive mostly always had less pacy reliable things. Are there other cool cars about at similar cost with less niggles?

Moving to general as it appears to be a discussion about the C in general, rather than looking for a particular answer ...

After my heater matrix blew last week( Passat, 11days ago). It still steams up overnight and if its frosty you get ice on the inside of the back window. With it being so far from the scource of heat it stays there for ages.

The carpets were soaked at the time and I expect tham to take a long while to dry completely.

Also, I think you should consider the amount of water you'take' into the car this time of year. Any moisture that is turned to steam will consdense on the coldest window, at the back. It will take a fair while to heat up to the same temp as the windows in the front.

I am getting the cabin on the Passat upto furnace temp and then opening a window to let out the moist air. Obviously some nuclear scientist will be on in a minute to point out my incorrect theory. I think that eventually I'll rid myself of the problem though.

Gavin

Its the Corrado's poor sealing. Water just gets in everywhere; round the doors, windows, sunroof, boot, even just by osmosis through the bodywork. It then condenses in a wonderful fashion on our windscreens.

In fact I found a puddle in my passenger-rear footwell yesterday, what a lovely surprise at this time of year! I can't wait to take out the carpets and try and find the leak, its not like I haven't done that half-a-dozen times... :x

The longer I have the Corrado, the more I think it is poorly designed and built.

The latest thing I have found is that, after taking it out of the garage on a cold day, the amount of water vapour that has to clear from inside the car is phenomenal.

The heater and bodywork do not leak, but water caught in places in the vehicle when it was last out does not drain - it has to be turned into steam first and then blown out (like Alien?).

Although you can dry the outside of the vehicle properly, quite clearly, pockets of water are caught up around the windscreen/dashboard/vents area and you have to suffer steamy windows for a good part of an hour before the inside is dry again.

What a pi## poor car, but I still like some aspects of it. A pity it was not more perfect, though. Is the Corrado over rated? Its the best car Ive ever driven but Ive mostly always had less pacy reliable things. Are there other cool cars about at similar cost with less niggles?

You must have got rainwater leaking in somewhere.I didn't realise mine had got a leak inside until i lifted up the passenger carpet and it was wet through.It turned out to be the ducting for the heater under the bonnet that was'nt sealed probably,anyway i removed the duct sealed it up and job's a good un no more leaks.

Whereabout's is the water collecting?

Poor corrado... someone needs to stick up for them!!!

There only as good as the person that looks after them lol

I think you guys are forgetting the average corrado is 14 ish yrs old.

If you want a car that has no problems at all - go by a new car and be boring.

Long live corrados

Have to say mine never steams up, i do keep it in a garage over night but its outside all day. My last mk2 Golf 16v's door membranes were missing and that used to steam up, ice up on the inside and leave puddles on the passenger side, and (mostly) in the back because of it. Also its not only VW's that suffer from these problems, its cars in general IMHO.

Don't pick on your poor corrado!!!

Poor corrado... someone needs to stick up for them!!!

Long live corrados

Exactly. Mine doesn't leak. Can't comment on the steamy windows thing as I don't garage my car, but if I did I'd leave the windows open to equalise the temperatures.

Have to say mine never steams up, i do keep it in a garage over night but its outside all day. My last mk2 Golf 16v's door membranes were missing and that used to steam up, ice up on the inside and leave puddles on the passenger side, and (mostly) in the back because of it. Also its not only VW's that suffer from these problems, its cars in general IMHO.

Don't pick on your poor corrado!!!

mine haven;t got membranes, can i buy the material or would anyone recommend anything?

Thanks guys.

I knew I would touch a raw nerve!

G60dub said

That upsets me! I spend hours looking after my cars - 1995 Corrado and 1991 Pug 205!

if the the mist is bugging you that much, try some rain-x anti fog, it used to work really well on my old mr2 t-bar which allways leaked

i have never had any problem with excess mist in my c and its kept outside all the time i did take all the seals out when i first had it and cleaned them thouroughly with rubber treatment

Thanks guys.

I knew I would touch a raw nerve!

G60dub said

That upsets me! I spend hours looking after my cars - 1995 Corrado and 1991 Pug 205!

no offence intended

Ive got the same problem, never get ice (touch wood) just steamed up windows. Did at one point have a soaked passenger side carpet, never found the cause. If there is a cure id like to know.

Ive got the same problem, never get ice (touch wood) just steamed up windows. Did at one point have a soaked passenger side carpet, never found the cause. If there is a cure id like to know.

As i said above mine had a leak in the passenger side and It turned out to be the ducting for the heater under the bonnet that was'nt sealed probably,anyway i removed the duct sealed it up and job's a good un no more leaks.

I used to have a Jetta GT that used to fill up the passenger side footwell on occasion and whenever i put on the heater the windows steamed up so after a suggestion by a friend i changed the heater matrix which didnt cure it, then someone else told me itll be a blocked drainage channel under the bonnet beneath the front window so i checked and cleaned them thoroughly I tried everything to find out where the water was coming from, stood for hours with a hose pipe over the car waitin for the water but never ever found it, it would never leak when i wanted it to....but i can safely say my corrodo never leaked or steamed up excessively. So leave em alone!!!!

my audi a4 mists up really bad always has my corrado isnt too bad but even the new cars i drive at work do it to a degree its just the time of year you could always put a moisture trap in the car they do them for caravans work well too.

I'm inclined to agree. I find it really annoying that a company with a reputation for its build quality manages to produce a car with some of the design flaws that the Corrado has. It's depressing to read on here about the same old faults, time and time again.

Think about the common things that go - sunroofs, headlight switches, handles, heater controls - you get the impression these failures are not so much a case of if, but when. It makes you wonder what sort of long-term testing procedures VW went through, if any at all.

I full accept that old cars are prone to wear and tear, but should I really be expected to have to replace a door handle and heater controls on a barely nine-year-old, 80,000-mile vehicle?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy my Corrado, I really do. But when I put down the rose-tinted specs for just a second, I can't help feeling a little disappointed.

Oh, and not having a headlight warning buzzer is unforgivable.

steam is definitley a problem on my C. Niggles are to be expected on a 13 year old car like mine that has done a fair few miles, but the C was never a cheap car to run. Are there better cars out there for the money? Very subjective but if you'r just after performance then yes, there are faster cars available for the same money but as a general all round package it is still very hard to beat.

Don't know if I'm lucky but I've never had leaks or steaming up problems in the 2 years I've owned my C.................oops I've opened my big mouth.