Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Managed to get all 4 calipers fitted today.

Just need to finish fitting the brake pipes, hopefully on Sunday.

Getting there but still don’t think it will be on the road for a few months yet :-(

7aebcaacb80f9e2dd718dd7e20845708.jpga6167cefeae73a91acf1841afaf51024.jpg7616c15afbd7034852b5313e4c29003d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damn they look good. Are you keeping the red bleed nipple covers because they are red

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Damn they look good. Are you keeping the red bleed nipple covers because they are red

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers, one step closer to a finished Corrado. And the red nipples are staying

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Took it out of winter storage (way over due this summer).....and instantly put a smile on my face........love driving the Corrado.....:)

Luckily have a 06 Passat V6 as the "winter beater".....so the sound of VR6 is with me all year, but always something special getting behind the wheel of the Corrado again for me :)

A few weeks ago I took the whole front end off my Corrado, bumber, front panel, grill, and headlights out.

So I had better access to the old rotten battery tray, cut over half of old one out,

and had a new MK2 Golf battery tray to hand,

so fabricated it to fit, spot welded to main chassis leg and around lower inner wing panel,

to be honest it does fit fairly well,

but you have to cut a few bits off to make it fit flat and flush with the chassis leg and inner wing panel.

Painted up and put on some seam sealer and wax oil.

Yesterday on Saturday I repaired front bumper with some Unibond Apoxy Resin.

Ebay item number 162984069604

Had to use that resin due to snapping off two of the retaining clips that hold the front bumper brace bracket on. And on the right inner side as the plastic support brace there, was coming away, which caused the right side of bumper to drop slightly, only by 1/2".

That Unibond Apoxy Resin is great stuff, it sets in 5mins and fully hardens in 12 to 18 hours, you can sand it down or paint over it once it's fully set.

Today as I've already got the front bumper off,

I'll be sanding down the metal bumper brace and bumper irons, as they're rusted slightly,

well the metal bumber brace is pitted in places

so I'll see how bad it is.

Next job after that once the parts arrive from VW Heritage is replacing both the fuel pumps, and see about fuel lines as well.

Si

Edited by vw rule

Today I collected the re-trimmed interior from Michael at MJ Interiors in Shipley. Can't say enough about his work, he's made a brilliant job and I would recommend him to anyone.

I know that grey maybe isn't the most popular of colours but I like the way it lightens the interior of the car, and also that there aren't very many of them around. And after eighteen years already it's not like I'll ever sell it so I really don't need to consider what anyone else thinks, the eldest daughter has already requested we leave it her in the will so it's going nowhere!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93447[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93449[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93451[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93453[/ATTACH]

I spent the rest of the day fitting and fettling bits but ended on a low when the driver's seat wouldn't height adjust or recline, no power for some reason (first world problems eh?) so I gave up for the day and will come back to it tomorrow.

Passed the MOT once again :)

...then while the garage were bringing the car to me they reversed into a sign, denting the bumper :( They will be replacing or fixing it though.

Ouch . I know you will make sure it’s done properly, but coming from someone who knows , paint will spider web from a bump . I received a tiny tap on the rear bumper from an old boy in his car . Not a mark on my bumper. Little did I know about the paint reacting to the flexibility of the bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads-up. No point in getting upset about it and it doesn't look bad unless you look closely. As long as they fix it properly then that's fine. They are my regular garage so I know them well and they often have unusual cars there (Golf Rallye today, other Corrado's, a DeLorean occasionally) so I think it will end up fine.

Passed MOT 😁

But advised steering rack it’s starting to show signs of wear.

Any one know where to get a replacement?

Not quite today more like last week - installed the schrick manifold and drove it around. Nice bit of kit!

I got an MOT, for the first time in ten years!!!

Took it to bits again today, the steering felt a bit tight at the test yesterday and the guy thought it was possibly a duff top mount. Felt lumpy on the way home so I split the track rod ends to check how the top mounts felt and they're fine, but the rack's lumpy! Dropped the rack out and cracked one of the pipes in the process because the gland nut was squeezing the pipe........there's never one thing fails in isolation is there!

It'll be an eBay steering rack but shopping around for a new pipe.......might have to be Classic Parts!

So I figured that as it was going to be in bits a couple of weeks while the new parts accumulate, I'll have the callipers refurbed and painted, any one tried BCS Automotive in Long Eaton before? My mate at work swears by them and has had his R32 and RS4 callipers done there so figure my 288s and Mk4s will be fine.

Edited by tonedef

Nothing absolutely nothing have not had the bonnet open for a month now

It’s behaving,drives excellent,getting a bit worried ��

Not quite true replace the gearbox oil now slick as snot ,but did not open the bonnet

Pushed it out off the garage ready to take it to my brothers workshop. Spoiler to low for the ramps on my mates towing dolly, removed front bumper, started to wench it up and on, then to only discover my g60 is to wide for his dolly.removed from ramps pushed back in to garage. Not a great day.

Got the Corrado back from the detailers today & I'm quite simply blown away! I entrusted it to the very talented Mark Jones of Enhance in Newcastle upon Tyne. Exceptional work & thoroughly recommended. Also, a big thank you to Chris Ferry, Lilfuzzer on here, for his help & advice on getting this where it is now & Johnny at VWX Automotive, Hexham for his care & attention. Just the seats to maybe refurb next year.

https://i.imgur.com/JtaLizk.jpg[/img]"]JtaLizk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jBWERGZ.jpg[/img]"]jBWERGZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9tLn4Y8.jpg[/img]"]9tLn4Y8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pOtuags.jpg[/img]"]pOtuags.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cvdYgGT.jpg[/img]"]cvdYgGT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fnxKTqW.jpg[/img]"]fnxKTqW.jpg

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

Thanks. Taken three years to get it where I want it!

Looks lovely... mystic and aqua blue really pop when their detailed correctly... I've done mine recently and like you were over the moon with the finish.... any idea what products he used.

Looks lovely... mystic and aqua blue really pop when their detailed correctly... I've done mine recently and like you were over the moon with the finish.... any idea what products he used.

He used all sorts of stuff, some I'd never heard of! I think he used IGL Coatings No.1 compound & the final polish with Menzerna 2400. Not sure what he sealed it with. He used a few different pads but it was lost on me! The guy that did the work is fanatical about detailing & very talented & passionate about his work. Not cheap but I could never get it to look like that!

Finally fitted a new set of seals to the original clutch slave cylinder. Refitted this and the ATE master cylinder I got from here. The car finally drove out off the garage. It gave me some enthusiasm

He used all sorts of stuff, some I'd never heard of! I think he used IGL Coatings No.1 compound & the final polish with Menzerna 2400. Not sure what he sealed it with. He used a few different pads but it was lost on me! The guy that did the work is fanatical about detailing & very talented & passionate about his work. Not cheap but I could never get it to look like that!

Yeah top job done there, superb.

Wish mine looked like that also, mines been on axle stands for the last 3 years,

still doing loads to it from my list about a mile long, :lol:

Erm the most recent work on mine was on Saturday,

I replaced all the clutch hydraulics.

1) Master cylinder

2) Slave Cylinder

3) Made new pipe from master to slave cylinder

4) Fitted with new flexi hose. (M10 x 1mm double female ends and 320mm long)

part n.o 3U0 611 707 says for VW Passat / Audi's / Skoda's

M12 x 1mm X2 male fittings on 1/4 copper pipe,

then 2 way female M12 connection reducer to M12 x 1mm male fitting on 3/16 copper pipe down to M10 x1mm male fitting,

to Audi A6 double female flexi hose, then 10mm x 1 male fitting on 3/16 copper pipe,

to M12 x 1mm still on 3/16 copper to slave cylinder,

even used the original rubber grommet that holds the top of flexi hose against left chassis leg above gearbox,

it fits perfectly over flexi hose by using WD40.

Si

Edited by vw rule