Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Loving the no fuel bit 🤣🤣  but not the price of filling up a Corrado size tank.

The run out sounds great and I am envious as mine is blocked in.

Have to agree with Keyo in being punished if we dont use them

2 hours ago, Cressa said:

Loving the no fuel bit 🤣🤣  but not the price of filling up a Corrado size tank.

The run out sounds great and I am envious as mine is blocked in.

Have to agree with Keyo in being punished if we dont use them

You must know the road from mine to Ollerton, I’m glad I ran out in the village before I got off into Sherwood Forest. The MFA claimed 41mpg on the drive to Huntingdon and back and 36mpg overall for the weeks’ miles which which worked out at 29mpg when I filled up Friday, I knew the MFA couldn’t be relied on but that’s not even close!

We were out in it last night and again today, I’d like to try and use it more this summer…hopefully there’ll be no “throw in the towel” moments like last year.

Our Corrado off the road spell was 2010 to 2018 so you’ll have to be blocked in a bit longer yet 😁

Well - took about 5 hours over 2 days, but I finally managed to remove and replace the black heater control cable that operated the defrost/heat flap! This is the one that runs from the control on the left with the two cables, over and around the matrix and attacehes to the flap lever in the drivers footwell, not too far from the clutch pedal - an absolute nightmare to get to. Those metal clips are tricky, and the one on the flap end is well nigh impossible to get to, and the hardest part was getting the cable attached securely again.

But after lots of swearing, breaks and contortions I have a nicely working and smooth heaer control again that doesn't stick and feel like it is about to break. Debating now on whether to remove the metal clip for the positions stops, although mine seems to work pretty well, and the second cable is moving freely. The heater control box was reconditioned and all the flaps relined not too long ago.

Next job on the list is the foliage seal cover....

3 hours ago, tonedef said:

Another year, another MOT 👍

Congratulations. Always a good time 

17 hours ago, Cressa said:

Congratulations. Always a good time 

Too right it is! I then drove over to the guy not a million miles from you at Beighton to see about getting the a/c gassed but he can’t fit me in til 26th August 🙄

Edited by tonedef

5 hours ago, tonedef said:

Too right it is! I then drove over to the guy not a million miles from you at Beighton to see about getting the a/c gassed but he can’t fit me in til 26th August 🙄

We need a meet when my car gets to come out.

I had MAES in Rotherhan come out to do mine. They have a mobile van, even on a Saturday, or did last year anyway !!!

10 hours ago, Cressa said:

We need a meet when my car gets to come out.

I had MAES in Rotherhan come out to do mine. They have a mobile van, even on a Saturday, or did last year anyway !!!

When your car gets to come out, love it!

The biggest problem I have with the a/c is that it’s a Frankenstein job, conversations seem to go this way:

Tony: I’d like to get my a/c re-gassed please.

Salesperson: No problem sir, could your confirm age and registration etc.

Tony: Gives details but points out this won’t help them as the installed system came from a 96 Passat VR6 and also that the condenser and drier have been replaced with items from Mk4 Golf and the pipe work modified to suit.

Salesperson (after consulting a wiser person): Sorry sir, we can’t help you as we wouldn’t know how much gas to put in, it has to be weighed you see.

And so it continues. I even had one tell me recently they wouldn’t know which gas to use as there’s a new one on the market since around 2017, even though I’ve told them it’s a 95 car with a 96 system!!! At least Mick Farrar, whilst he’s booked up for the next few weeks, is prepared to suck it and see, to have an feel for the job and charge the system until the pressure is something like right.

Totally understand.  I expected the guy from MAES to give me that sob story, but he just turned up and got on with it.   Pressure testing it always stressed me out incase I had a leak, or the o rings were dry from lack of use.

Be nice when you have it sorted tho 👌

Nothing 😂 I did cut one up yesterday though.

I went to Tatton Park VW show, around 10 Corrados dotted about, sun was out many visitors, cars exhibitors after COVID, it was nice to see

Met up with Mat today Huntington way- his car is real clean- looks great in Candy white. 

Running temps on way there 9 am 26 degrees weather- 98 oil and 98 coolant- average 70 - 80 mph. 

Running temps 13.00 pm 34 degrees  weather- 100 - 104 oil - coolant 98 - 105 average 70 - maybe a bit more then 80 mph

Average mpg 31.5 .  

Ass temp on leather off the scale unable to record. 

793DF16C-0B2B-4F09-B0A5-CECFE34370CA.jpeg

E7E3A001-0E3E-4013-8149-492103C0C733.jpeg

3ED465D7-887C-401D-8FFF-183530661033.jpeg

Edited by Keyo

Great to see you again today. Black Magic looking as beautiful as ever and I had the pleasure of driving behind on the way out - your Corrado has great presence on the road. Yours is spec'd the way VW should have done it from the factory.

You did better than me on the mpg - I got 30.5 and only cruised at 60mph for most of the journey. My coolant temps happily always under the 90 mark but oil hovers between 98 and 102. It goes as high as 118 if I utilise the revs. It used to be lower before the cams.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not today but Friday I finally got the climate control recharged, I say finally because it’s been back on the road since 2018 so I really could have got my finger out, I think the last time it worked was some time in 2010!

Initial results were disappointing, the compressor clutch wasn’t pulling in. Saturday morning that was traced to a fuse and we went out for a drive in reasonably warm conditions, only to be underwhelmed by the level of cooling.

Sunday we went out in the car again and it was cooler than the day before, is it possible that the a/c is taking a while to settle in, I wouldn’t have expected it but it sure seems that way? Whatever, it’s definitely a better place to be with cooled air, why wasn’t every Corrado built with Climatronic???

Yeah, it seems mad it didn't. The Corrado cabin always seems to get unpleasantly warm, even when it is fairly mild outside. Small space with a large glass windscreen I guess, plus there seems to be a lot of heat transfer from the exhaust through the central tunnel. 

I don't know too much about Air Con, so can't really help with that, but a couple of things did occur to me in general - 1 the air being blown through vents (without aircon) always seems to end up quite warm even if it's coolish outside. Either, I think, it is the hot air from the engine bay that is sucked in through the vent because the engine bay doesn't vent that hot air very well, or, even though it doesn't pass through the heater matrix, the level of heat in the cooling system means the air box just warms up in general, so will warm any passing air. Perhaps either of those things lessen the effectiveness of your aircon?

Heater flaps falling apart will allow hot / cold to be mixed

1 hour ago, Dox said:

absolutely!

hence why i pulled the dash out of the 16v twice as the 1st time i did the matrix but not the heater box relining - big mistake

3 hours ago, Dox said:

That sounds like a pretty good call, been getting the occasional bit of sticky foam tape blowing out of the vents. I’ll put it on the winter jobs list, after all I’ve not taken the dash out in the last couple of years, it’ll be starting to think it’s in for good!

With your climatronic, did it use mk4 golf parts. If it's the diavia evaporator in the heater box, mine was slightly restricted by leaves and debris that had collected inside. 

I did change mine out and cold is cold now. And I have done the heater box flaps

Screenshot_20220901-074257_Photos.jpg

3 hours ago, Cressa said:

With your climatronic, did it use mk4 golf parts. If it's the diavia evaporator in the heater box, mine was slightly restricted by leaves and debris that had collected inside. 

I did change mine out and cold is cold now. And I have done the heater box flaps

Screenshot_20220901-074257_Photos.jpg

Its such a shoddy set up, my heaterbox fell into two halves when I unbolted it from the bulkhead,does anyone know the cost of it? It must have been "premium" as the car was extortionate when new...

9e0d65bda7dd83920b894977429b3245.jpg

Made it out of the garage so I can tidy up some what! I’m determined to run it on the road next year.. 6 years standing and it ran up to temp nicely, 107k survivor car (minimal chineseum shite!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one Dox and good luck getting it out on the road. Nice colour too. I'm attempting to sell mine ... on autotrader etc.

1 hour ago, MJA said:

Nice one Dox and good luck getting it out on the road. Nice colour too. I'm attempting to sell mine ... on autotrader etc.

Mine will go to auction, can’t stand messers and time wasters. I’ve sold 1 car in the last 22 years, a £300 Skoda rapid, mine get broken or WBAC

I'm with you there. Cars booked in to solve the clonk and a wheel alignment. They are a tough sell the Corrados so suspect I will be waiting weeks for my financial loss to materialise. A shame but I prefer my mk2 16v (wash your mouth out on this forum) and was wowed by one in the same spec at Silverstone in the paddock so will focus there instead. I actually prefer my mk3 16v as well but will be getting rid of that and hoping to try out a different brand and sports car next time. Midlife vw crisis ending (lol probably true).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk