Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

Right then despite the driving snow and hail today I am down to a very finite list of things to do:

Fit 2 x bolts to the gearbox mount arm

Refit brake cooling ducts & oil cooler duct

Fit N/S/F & O/S/F wheel arch liners

Refit PAS pump rear support bracket

Fit headlights

Fit 4 x front bumper bolts

Refit fusebox

Refit lower dash tray on drivers side

Fit rad support panel to front splitter metal 'U' channel

Finish the last little bit of wiring loom wraping

and er, that's it.

Still some other bits I want to tweak (injector wiring needs to be in some brushed stainless tube, additional instruments need some wiring run etc) but there is no reason it can't go for an MOT as soon as I can get one booked and the weather stops being crappy.

Almost finished, ran out of time again today as had to collect Mrs Yandards from the airport.

Got the insurance sorted though through HIC and very pleased with it, all mods declared 250bhp limit, agreed value, Uk track day cover, like for like mod replacement all for under £400, which is nice.

Will get it finished off on Friday, managed to refit the bumper but with one of the attachments has not engaged on the passenger side, didn't notice until after I had rebuilt all the other bits when I went to refit the passenger wing liner.

Booking at MOT for early next week, so fingers crossed, need to take it out round the block first just to check it's all working ok as it's been 3 years since I last drove it!

Got the insurance sorted though through HIC and very pleased with it, all mods declared 250bhp limit, agreed value, Uk track day cover, like for like mod replacement all for under £400, which is nice.

you sound like that boy off that fast show!!! Thats amazing! lol i was paying more for that on a mankey old G60 with no mods and no track insurance at 3rd party only! :lol:

Fair play! :thumb right:

you sound like that boy off that fast show!!! Thats amazing! lol i was paying more for that on a mankey old G60 with no mods and no track insurance at 3rd party only! :lol:

Yeah well chuffed with it, thing is though 2nd car, over 20 years old, 5k limited mileage, garaged, probably one of the cheapest postcodes in the UK to insure in, old git, married, home owner, non smoker etc, still about £50 cheaper than anyone else and the track insurance, agreed value and like for like on mods is better than the other polices too.

So bloody close now, if it wasn't for the fact I have to go out and work on the car wearing 7 layers of clothing it would be a lot easier!

Yeah well chuffed with it, thing is though 2nd car, over 20 years old, 5k limited mileage, garaged, probably one of the cheapest postcodes in the UK to insure in, old git, married, home owner, non smoker etc, still about £50 cheaper than anyone else and the track insurance, agreed value and like for like on mods is better than the other polices too.

So bloody close now, if it wasn't for the fact I have to go out and work on the car wearing 7 layers of clothing it would be a lot easier!

ahh, don't worry buddy! it can't stay cold forever... anyway, think of the extra power you'll be getting from that lovely dense air! :grin: :lol:

Is it snowing up there yet dude?

id expect so, ive had snow and im only as far north as dundee

It was yesterday and the day before, driving horrible stuff but it wasn't settling as I am too close to the coast here. Head about 10 miles inland though and most people had to dig their way out of a drift!

Managed to get all the dirty bits sorted out today when I got in from work so it's just get the fuse box and lower drivers dash trims back in tomorrow, I still need to wrap the last of the engine loom and the MOT is booked for 08:30 on Wednesday. If it stays dry I am taking it out for a quick shakedown on Saturday, can't wait :cheers:

It was yesterday and the day before, driving horrible stuff but it wasn't settling as I am too close to the coast here. Head about 10 miles inland though and most people had to dig their way out of a drift!

Managed to get all the dirty bits sorted out today when I got in from work so it's just get the fuse box and lower drivers dash trims back in tomorrow, I still need to wrap the last of the engine loom and the MOT is booked for 08:30 on Wednesday. If it stays dry I am taking it out for a quick shakedown on Saturday, can't wait :cheers:

Don't forget your video camera!

1st drive today!

Needed to get a shakedown run in prior to the MOT on Wednesday so left home at lunchtime today for a quick run around the long ring between home and work and back. Initial problem with the brakes juddering like hell but a few heavy presses to clear 3 years of corrosion from the faces soon had that sorted.

All going ok although my coolant temps are sitting higher than I would like at around 95 degrees, oil cooler is working a treat though with 80 degrees during the run. All in all it worked well, didn't really give it any beans at all but did stab the throttle a little to get the larger butterfly to open at 2500rpm in 5th, it took off fairly well :).

No real issues from the run-in period, 2nd and 4th gears are awkward to select but that just needs a tweak at the gearbox cable end, throttle cable is sticking a little at the idle end, I need to have a look at the pedal end as it feels like it's happening there. The new 5th gear is working well and aside from the 2nd and 4th issue the box is selecting and working very nicely.

Post wiring loom re-wrap the engine is not moving into the cold start enrichment phase so the initial idle is rough, I suspect it's just the earth point so I need to clean that up, BTS is working as disconnecting it results in a big RPM drop as expected. The N/S/F bonnet release is not working properly, despite lubing it up and putting more tension on the cable it's still being annoying.

So all in all pretty chuffed, it's driving nicely and the couple of minor snags are just that, minor. Next step is an MOT certificate and then I can concentrate on getting the finer details sorted like wiring in the additional instruments and getting some clips for various hoses.

Good work Yan! It was pretty much 3 years to the day that you took the engine out in the first instance!!

How good did it feel to finally drive it??

1st drive today!

:clap:

The N/S/F bonnet release is not working properly, despite lubing it up and putting more tension on the cable it's still being annoying.

I've had that issue too. Took a little bit of fiddling and lubrication to get it to work nice and easily.

Good work Yan! It was pretty much 3 years to the day that you took the engine out in the first instance!!

How good did it feel to finally drive it??

Indeed it was 3 years ago exactly when I drove up there - page 5 of this thread is quite amusing!

Brilliant news Yan. Glad it's finally (well, nearly) there mate :)

Well of you turn upto a show this will make you a f***ing hero lol.

Is your throttle cable fraying in the sleeving as mine felt similar on throttle release lile it was sticking, well it was sticking and holding the revs slightly near idle and eased off as it freed itself but sometimes needing me to physically pull the pedal back with my foot.