Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

On the move eh Yan?

(( engine looks very good indeed...long time coming, but Rome wasn't built in a day! ))

Yeah work enforced but it secures my job for another 14 years!

It has taken a long time and I am in a position to get the engine in; but I am worried that sorting out the inevitable teething problems will leave me with a car that isn't running when I move.

Annoying as I want to drive the car with the extra power and torque thats sat on the engine stand right now.

Right, time for a bit of an update.

Engine is progressing nicely despite my heavy handedness (broke the oil temp sensor in the oil filter housing, and it's in the wrong place too.)

The RPM Tuning fuel rail and intake manifold are really good, also got the belt tensioning and routing sorted in my head now, bottom of the alt swings away from the block for tensioning - just need to fit the spring!

Belt routing looks tighter than it is on the pic, I do have a slightly smaller pulley if needed but it should be ok, it is mounted on the top pivot for the alt so won't move when the alt does.

Need to knock up a new fuel injector wiring loom rail as the standard G60 one is no good, fit the cambelt, rebuild the TB, and drill out the knackered oil temp sensor and fit it on the back of the cylinder head where it should be.

Also need to finish cleaning and painting the PAS brackets, fit the knock sensor, and find a FPR to fit that is also rising rate, think the 20vT one is suitable but need to check.

nnniiiccceee.... 8)

Can't wait to hear this baby run... :)

Neither can I!

It's been through so many design revisions I've lost count.

looks good. is there any capacity increase or is it staying 1800 ? it will be interesting to see what results you get to compare the chopped down S2 inlet to a scirrocco 16v inlet like im going to use. ill take some piccies of my engine when i next go to the garage. what alternator are you using there ?

Totally forgot about this, nice work Yan!

Can't be too many 16vG60's about. Is the car staying like that? Would be a proper sleeper.

No plans to fit nitrous, although I do plan on building another engine...

Mave, yes no plans to change the car aside from a set of supercharged badges on the front and back.

Stoney, capacity is still the standard kr 1.8l.

The alt is one BBM but is basically the same as a mk. III polo one fitted onto the aircon bracket position on the charger, you do need some extra mounting plates to do this though.

I would expect the RPM S2 style inlet manifold to be a vast improvement over the standard 16v inlet mani due to the 16v inlet mani actually being designed to create pressure when the inlet valve is closed. You don't want to create any backpressure in the system if you can help it with FI as air is forced in not sucked. (See pic and description below) Also the standard one has long runners and a 'square' plenum chamber both of which are the opposite used on all FI cars, so I would also expect a better throttle response. The RPM Tuning one is a custom casting with the internal 'tubes' removed and a smoother mod to clear the charger.

interesting, may still fit one of those in the future, but still prefer the 'look' of the standard 16v inlet as it looks more factory imo, and looks good polished up. im hoping to make power gains in the other areas, such as a well flowed head and larger valves, custom cams etc. but no doubt ill get curious and fit an RPM manifold. Only thing that put me off getting one as a spare was the fact i was told RPM can be a bit lazy when it comes to delivery? how long did it take to arrive from Germany or wherever?

If possible, you should try a chopped down RS2 inlet manifold. They flow much better than the S2 items but are almost identical externally and fitment-wise.

Ok after a lot of mucking around finally got the timing belt on.

After digging through my pile of spares I could not find my original 16v bottom pulley, useful for timing the engine up!

So after some headscratching I guesstimated that the G60 bottom ribbed belt pulley with a timing mark on it would also be suitable if I aligned it with the 16v bottom cover timing mark. I also confirmed this by removing no. 1 spark plug and checking that it was at TDC. Anyway it is all timed up and the engine spins around nicely with no valve to piston issues!! It is also making some healthy sucking and popping noises so that's a good sign.

Some more pics, first one is a rather dull pic of the timing belt on, more of a sense of achievement really, second is RPM tunings modded water temp sensor outlet - best solution I have seen for this by far. It is a genuine VW bit, (Mk III Golf I think) that has one of the water outlets cut off. Now I have the bung if it breaks I can make a new one.

Filofilsem, the RPM manifold is based on an RS2 design but with the internal tubes removed, much better IMHO.

G60 stoney, no problems with RPM, I believe the intake manifolds are made to order, think it took them about 6 weeks but that was over chrimbo. (Just checked, I paid them on the 21st November by bank transfer, got the parts around the 1st week of January) BBM took longer when I ordered stuff from them ages ago.

Cheers Kev.

After digging through my pile of spares I could not find my original 16v bottom pulley, useful for timing the engine up!

If you need one I've a spare one you can use as reference or whatever mate. engine looks great by the way and has got me thinking as well!

Give us a shout if you need that pulley and I'll pop it by. it'll cost you a cuppa and a biscuit though! :lol:

If you need one I've a spare one you can use as reference or whatever mate. engine looks great by the way and has got me thinking as well!

Give us a shout if you need that pulley and I'll pop it by. it'll cost you a cuppa and a biscuit though! :lol:

I'll take you up on that! (No biscuits left, I've eaten them all!!)

Yet more updates!!

Spent the day arsing around with the cambelt covers to clear the bottom G60 ribbed pulley etc, only to eventually find that both top and bottom don't fit right :? Checked the parts numbers, different from the original 16v ones listed so ordered a set from VAG.

Spent the rest of the day modding the charger bracket and alt so I could fit my charger belt tensioner system, a spring. Quite a powerful little thing, had to fit a slightly smaller pulley due to not enough clearance with the spring at full stretch but it makes very little difference to the belt to charger pulley contact, still around 270 degrees worth :twisted:

Staying with digifant to start with too much to think about already without trying to work out standalone!

Bugger, after refitting the charger bracket and then trying to put the charger on I need to adjust the alt some more to clear the oil return line from the bottom of the charger. :?

Having seen this engine in the flesh now I would just like to say well done Yan, A truely awesome bit of work. well done that man! Hats off to ya! :salute:

LOL :lol:

All looks like fun....I wanna super/turbo charger too now!!!! :cry:

Humn fun... :? :wink:

..I started researching this project nearly 3 years ago, the engine has been through more design and implementation variations than I can remember now, all in the pursuit of something that will, in my opinion, do the job a little better.

I have the intention of writing a guide to building a UK RHD spec 16vG60 when this done, especially with all the things I have learned along the way that have been the driving force behind many of the changes I have made.

Get the cam cover on tomorrow and then fit the pulleys! Then it's on with getting the rest of the ancils fitted. With a bit of luck it might be near finished by the end of tomorrow.

Balls.

Managed to get the timing belt to jump a couple of teeth whilst using it as locking device so I could check the crank pulley bolt for the correct torque. Got in a pi$$ with it and left it for a few hours.

Still not retimed it but I have completed the alt tensioning set-up finally, quite pleased with it.

Need to get an ABF cylinder head cooling outlet as the KR/9A one is angled in the wrong direction - the G60 rad top hose is fouling the charger with the KR one.

Got the oil supply to the charger system fitted now, bust oil temp sensor came out of the oil filter housing nice and easy, new sensor fitted to the back of the cylinder head where it should be.

List of stuff to do is getting shorter and I am hoping that I won't hit many more problems now.

Spent most of the day stripping, cleaning and rebuilding the throttle body.

All done now, assembled and set on the end of the inlet manifold, it's a tight fit to clear the fuel rail but it is on and looks pretty good.

I had ported and knife edged the TB ages ago, wanted to get all the cack out of it before it fills up with recirculated gunk from the boost return.