Joe M

Stuff for making the black plastics black again

So whats decent? Tried stuff like back to black in the past, looks good to start with, then runs down the bodywork the next time the car gets wet...

Coullstar said

Shoe Dye!! Keeps it black for ages. Just dont get any on the paint.

8) Yes. I've used that. Just dont let anyone in good, light coloured clothes load, or get anything out of the boot! :oops: Wipe off as much excess as possible.

Ive recently been told that Halfords do a plastic dye spray, its the same as a normal spray paint but dyes the plastic as well.

Might be a good thing to look into!

the auto glym stuff.

its bloody ace and makes the plastics look like new.

bugs me when people say it doesnt last long.

like your car stays clean eh?

Indeed, the Maguiar's NXT Tech Protectant is really good stuff and it smells nice too. Ok, it only lasts 2 weeks or so, but your car will be dirty again by then anyway and it's not a huge amount of effort to re-black the trim...

Ill give the Autoglym stuff a go, dont mind having to reapply it every few weeks but I hate it when it leaves streaks down the side of the car after it rains.

dont laugh.... but i use any of the back to black type products (or even tyre foam) and then after thats finished spray and cover with gt85. and i find the gt85 makes the finish last much longer.

Yep I use back to black on the tyres and some of the internal black trim. I woulkdnt use the ArmourAll as I beleive it doesnt contain any UV block hence your plastics will fade even faster. Theres another Turlte wax cream (black in a flash IIRC) which dyes teh fabric pretty damn quick but doesnt seem to stick very well on outside plastics. Good for the cabin trims though.

is it painted or plastic ? if its plastic paint heat gun it bring the oils in the plastic to the top again and back to new also will take scratches out as the plastic mould have a memory just dont go to close

I've tried a number of things over the years, proper branded stuff, peanut butter, heateing plastics, the lot. Someone recommended linseed oil and I gave it a go.

It's not the definative answer and there are better products out there, but bang for buck it was pretty impressive!

11041814_10152710417586769_8713849091527124597_n.jpg?oh=df57e59b40f078af2905180c1f1207a7&oe=57BED4C8

10418247_10152735889891769_7190641829149749459_n.jpg?oh=e4c8907d8ac2e78979363c34ef51482c&oe=57733467

Gtechniq C4 or Carpro Dlux. Gives a matt finish and restores plastics to how they'd look 'as new' rather than dressed. Best thing about them is they're semi-permanent, so will last 18 months to 2 years before you need to re-apply. Doing mine again tomorrow after 18 months since the last time.