Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Dented Bonnet!

Was just reversing into my parking space at work this morning and noticed that the light seemed to be bouncing off my bonnet in an irregular way. Got out and found the thing has been dented :cry:

There don't appear to be any marks (well nothing really noticable), and judging by the size and shape of the dents I'd guess they are as a result of someone sitting on it. Think there are only about 2 actual dents and they are quite shallow, and based on the fact that the main one is pretty much in the centre of the bonnet I guess that whoever made them must have launched themselves onto it, unless they must have very long legs to get their bum over there!

Most frustrating as the bonnet is (was) the only panel that I was really happy about as it didn't seem to have so much as a stone chip on it.

Not even sure when it happened. I didn't take the car out yesterday so can't be sure it happened last night. We normally wake up when there is rowdy behaviour outside in the street at night, but last night our dog slept in the kitchen and we both slept right through the night which is unusual for us so it probably did happen then.

Hope the dents can be easily 'popped' back out from the underside, although guess the sound insulation will have to come off for that, so I'll probably also have to buy some more of that.

Bugger! Sorry to hear that :(

Someone sat on my bonnet a few weeks ago, they didn't dent it but put some nasty scratches on the paintwork, probably with their belt or those metal studs you get in in jeans. I'm sure it was bloody kids... :mad:

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can buy that bonnet sound insulation anymore...

if its only a very shallow dent try pushing it up with the palm of your hand, it may just pop back out

Cheers I might give that a go later. To be honest you do have to look quite closely to notice the dents, they really are quite shallow.

Yeah, definitely don't take the sound insulation off unless you want to take it all off - it's only available as a complete set and is £75+ VAT :shock:

yep...im sure kerrinmay would give anything to be able to punch the little gits in the throat......but prevention is always the better way!.

Has anyone used 'Dent Devils' before? They quote from £75 per panel. Thinking I might try them so I've requested an online quote.

Can you actually access the underside of the bonnet panel where yor dint is OK? Mine got jumped on by some yobs in the street (left fcukin big footprints on it :mad: !!!) and the under-bonnet structural bracing stopped me getting to the panel to pop it out :-(

New bonnet time...

I think I'm ok with access. You can definately get to the bulk of the main dent from behind, although I know it is close to the bracing so will have to check again, and I'm not sure about to two smaller dents.

I do hope it can be sorted. How much is a new bonnet (late style)?

you'd be better off looking for a s/h late bonnet tbh if it does come to that... knowing what new parts prices are like I'd have thought it'd be a lot! Hope you don't have to go that route though - good luck!