Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Can you buy anything that works anymore

Just a rant, but i'm getting f....ed of with everything I buy for my car being sh.te! Had it 2 months and this is what i've bought........

1. presure cap from GS, faulty.

presure cap replaced by GS, faulty.

third replacement from GS, in the bin

4th time lucky euro car parts..works hoo f ra!

2. set of 4 discs (zimmerman xdrilled) and pagid FR pads, obviously warped from the off. 5 min test drive, very careful but they were wobly as bo..ocks. Taken back, second set of same carefully run in for 200 mls, now on 450 mls and showing signs of warping again!

3. steering wheel and boss from the inters Vbits. boss doesnt have indicator cancelling and scrapes!

4. Mudflaps main dealer, asked for non generic set of 4. £22 sir and they are made for the corrado ONLY. Turns out they fit every car under the sun and the price was just for 2. Tried to fit them but they are wa.k!

5. Green air induction kit. Dont know what the bracket was for but had more chance fitting it to a space ship than a corrado vr, had to make my own!

6. buy that nasty hose for the heater matrix to head from vag. Its clearly split when i get it home without even touching it! Replaced.

7. (GS again) wife buys a set of 4 brembo discs and pads for her vento vr. Warped within 100 miles of very gentle braking. Second set now done 1000 and are starting to woble again!

arrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh, anyone tell me where i can buy anything anymore that works for more than 5 f mins if at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

8. ooow, i forgot. Electric window switch, guess were from, anyway it lights up all the time even with the ignition off and the car alarmed! Euor car parts replacement works fine. No i dont work for them!

you're having a right run of bad luck mate! hope it stops here!

I got a momo boss that scraped all over the place, put up with it for a couple of weeks then took it off, cleaned the horn contact off of all the fluff and crap that it'd collected and bent it in towards the centre of the steering column (very carefully so it didnt snap and still made contact) its fine now, might be worth a try.

I'd get someone else to work on your car :lol:

Seriously though - sounds like a lot of bad luck!

Well I got an empty wallet and just fitted new zimmerman brakes all round, so Im not feeling the best right now!

Haha na they are only fitted to my 200 brake MK4 Golf G60, still not drove it yet tho!

No offence nick48480 but I hope its just your bad luck with the discs! I got to get to Le Mans in 3 weeks!

The beast runs sparco D&G disks and pagid FR's they are good!

Gotta say, I haven't been too impressed with stuff I've bought from GSF. Shame, 'cos their service is excellent.

Their replacement aerial/amp doesn't fit at all- the plugs have different ends and the bolt isn't big enough to hold it on anyway. Why advertise a part as being for a Corrado, when it's not even vaguely compatible? :roll: My GSF gearbox mount lasted 2 months before blowing and sending oily crap everywhere! :mad:

Never had any probs with ECP stuff- do they have different suppliers?

I've done quite a few hundred miles on my GSF Zimmerman discs with Pagid FR pads with no probs at all. I've also had fitted wishbones, bushes and ball joints from them with no probs?

With drilling discs surely you're increasing the discs heat sinking ability, a countersunk hole exposes more metal to the atmosphere than no hole at all? I accept that they are probably unecessary for normal road use though.

My GSF gearbox mount lasted 2 months before blowing and sending oily crap everywhere!

Get the MK2 diesel mount... solid rubber...

Got zimms on mine and all has been ok for 20k. On the subject of GSF, I used to buy most things from them, but have found that there bits just don't seem as reliable as VW's bits, so tend to buy original most of the time now. It's the suspension bits that seem a little off, ball joints, rubbers etc. Filters and that seem ok though.

Tell me about it. I have to get my track rods replaced again cos the inner ball joints are a bit sticky.. 5000 miles hasn't loosened em up, so they gotta go. It'll be VW from now on.. Pity they're so damned extortionate, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Glad its not just me then! Thanks guys. Other priorities such as engine mount etc first and finding out why one wheel sticks out more than the other! Then ill get shot of the disks and get some from vag i think.

All this just gets a bit annoying when i drive 30 miles to get to G&S, 30 miles back, pay labour to have something fitted the go through it all again!

I've a good mind to charge £200 for the trouble this time!

I've used em (GSF) for years. Were great value, and super service, but all depends upon that branch. Lots of parts are cheapo, so you gotta decide what you can affod to be naff.

Buy a genuine oil filter off VAG. The GSF air filter has noticably less finns, but is ok if replaced 1/yr. Quantum oil is cheap at both. GSF is great for gaskets and wiper blades, and even thinkin of buying an exhaust off em - once they decide which one fits mine.

I found the the Pagid pads are okay when driving normal, but get um warm and they dont half stick!

The ignition switch on mine was replaced with a GSF one just before I bought it in Jan, and it failed about 6 weeks ago... Less than impressed.

I found the the Pagid pads are okay when driving normal, but get um warm and they dont half stick!

Maybe mine are one offs, but the warmer they get the less bite they have.

Pressure bleeding the hydraulics might help. Then if the problem persists you now it's the pads. Hydraulic fluid is hydroscopic so will "go off" after a time as it absorbs moisture.

another argument i missed damn! seriously though given kevs response i gather what was going on, and i can vouch for him in that ive never heard him make claims that werent based on experience or sound mechanical theory. ooo dont ya feel protective of the mods when people have a go??

Having read through this, I'm now paranoid about all the new GSF parts in my engine re-build... Anyone know how good quality their tappets, belts and chains are?

Cheers,

Tom

Talk to stevemac - he might work for them, but he's an honest bloke, and I believe he did use a lot of GSF stuff in his engine rebuild.

New set on again now and all is well so far, after a 200ml trip yesturday.

mind you wheels are shaking so much dont think id notice anyway!!