Sign in to follow this  
gordy

f1 what a cock up

Watching this in absolute disbelief...

Never normally follow Formula 1 but it looks like I picked a good afternoon to tune in!

No wonder people are leaving the stadium.

It's finally happened-All the rules and reg in F1 have turned it into a global joke.

It had to happen in the States too.

well maybe michelin tyres will be cheaper after this?? but i doubt it they are robbing french b******s.

Joe, I'm too lazy so I copy+pasted the BBC website:

With half an hour to go to the scheduled start time, there is still the serious danger of mass withdrawals or disqualification because of the row over the safety of Michelin tyres.

Nine of the 10 teams have said they are happy for the race to go ahead with a chicane on the final corner for safety reasons, said Williams technical director Sam Michael, but Ferrari do not agree.

Only three teams - Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi - do not use Michelins.

The front four places on the grid belong to Toyota's Jarno Trulli, McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen, BAR's Jenson Button and Renault's Giancarlo Fishciella - all of them using Michelin tyres

Ferrari apparently make good bed fellows... :roll:

Thing is, they just had comments from various American fans as they left the stadium out of sheer disgust at the situation, and one fan was saying "Yeah, i'd like to thank the Michelin teams for backing out after I saved up two months salary to come to this race!"

Sorry mate - I appreciate your frustration, but hey, lets have a record number of deaths for an F1 weekend as racer after slams into the wall on the final corner thanks to failures on bad Michelin tyres.

There should have been a chicane installed or something..

I agree with Jim, its a joke and i feel for the people who paid a fortune for the tickets and travel to get there only to be disapointed, but the safety of the drivers has to come first. IMO the teams hands were forced by the FIA refusing to alter the track to allow them to race, as the governing body they should be thinking about whats best for the sport and whats best for the fans in this sort of situation rather than being so anal about the track layout. I'm also bit disapointed in ferrari imposing 'team rules' towards the end and killing the only bit of competition that was going on.

the fans throwing beer cans is more than a little worrying too...

prediction.....more silly little things like this will happen through the season to make it "exciting", shuey will claw back to 2nd place, and the last race of the season will be a head to head to see who wins..........

yawn..............

I thought it funny that Shoemaker walked off with his bubbly unopened and the fella that came 3rd went to town. The commentator says 'it'll be the last time he ever gets on the podium'. Thanks for your support :mrgreen:

It was cobblers but the snail munchers cocked up the tyres, true, but the FIA had a chance to recover the situation for the sake of the crowds and like one team manager said. They could have raced with a chicane but not for points. At least there would have been some entertainment other than Schumacher trying to punt off his team mate..

2 months wages, the poor git. :cry:

I have the saddest story.

I get up to watch the quallifying in the middle of the night often and enjoy a few Stellas on a Sunday afternoon when the Pirx is on, this Sunday was no different.

Sitting outside with my Stella until it was time then settled down to watch the build up and was stunned by th bollox of the goings on, but it had to be in america.

The rain was now heavy outside and the wind getting up, i heard there was thunder and lightening forecast but didn't expect it for it had been 29C all day.

When all got underway and the lightening flashing BANG! the TV went off never to come back on again, so unfortunately i didn't get to see sheit, what a day. Plus my ex-wife's pregnant again!

Chris

i give up with f1 when i raced bikes they changed the track all the time if something was unsafe for any reason. often put chicanes in to slow corners up. what a farce they should have changed the rules plain and simple, im surprized they didnt have a ractrack layout change clause in the rule book anyway. but then the sport has been run by amateurs for a long while now!

Berie's getting old and dottery, if it had been a few years ago, the team principles would've been threatened with a knee capping and there would be a chicane installed :D

F1 is doomed. It's gonna die a death as soon as this new series with identical cars and one driver from each nation starts up...

Formula Palmer Audi anyone?

I hope not but i fear it could be true.

I'm hoping for a revolt against the FIA and it gets back to something near what it was.

THe safety rules work fine like the tethered wheels and such so why in the interest of safety did they feel they couldn't do the chicane, 9 out of the 10 were happy to race if that was done so where's the harm?

Chris

F1 will die a death in the US now at least, I reckon...

It's also now officially the most complex "sport" in the world, rule-wise... Anyway, the only race worth watching now is the Monaco Grand Prix, and even that's just for the whole ambience of the thing rather than the "race" itself...

And yes, those parentheses are required! ;)

I agree about monaco, all the drivers have said that theres only 2 points you can realistically overtake on the entire track... that doesnt make for a crowd pleasing race, its basically F1's cash-cow. I still enjoy the grand prix, but i wish the racing was as close and competative as the touring car championship.

I still found myself watching it regardless!

It did highlight just how far off the pace the Minardis and Jordans are though, I think one of the Minardis was lapped twice? I thought Shuey punting Barracuda-cello off the track was highly amusing but people think he's a hero for such acts? Hardly...anyone can be unsporting like that, but the other drivers chose to be more civil.....anyway, the chucking of beer cans onto the track was highly out of order though.

Michelin aren't to blame, the FIAA are for being overly anal and money driven bar stids....

after reading the FIA's side of the story i can 'sort of' see where they're coming from. If they changed the track for the michelin teams it would have imposed a disadvantage on the bridgestone runners, who were prefectly capable of driving the full track... not very fair. However I think this was an extreme case where the rules should have been bent for the good of the sport, as it is the FIA look like a bunch of stick in the mud old farts, the drivers look like huffy gits, and the fans who went to see the race are all well p*ssed off, there must have been a better solution than what happend.