Sign in to follow this  
Badger

which corrado engine is the bestest

Hello, i was kind of thinking of swapping my old mk3 gti goof for one of these funcky corrado thingys and was wondering witch the best engine option was. I've had a g60 rallye before and loved it but it did take alot of driving to get the best from it when compared to a revy 8v goof that i had before.

So what do you reckon, and how much does the price vary on different engined cars?

I thank you. :)

Funny though, I've never heard of anyone claiming that a G60 needed work to hussle along quickly. Everyone usually says they're torque monsters from really low revs.. (Seen Henny's torque graphs to prove that!)

Would love a torque curve like Henny's on the VR actually. Big V6 effortless smoothness and NOISE, combined with absolutely flat torque curve from 2500k upwards, now THAT is what an engine should be. Am getting a little fed up with the flat feeling the VR has after that monster schrick torque lump tails off ..

i'm happy with my g60, it has power where i need it: 50-100 for overtaking on 'A' roads. had a 1.8 16v before, it was slower than a week in jail.

2.0 16v is supposed to be similar.

price wise i'd say you should expect to pay-

1.8 16v: £1k-2.5k

2.0 16v: £1.5k-3k

G60: £2k-4K

VR6: £3k-6k - not incl storms which can be silly money!

This is always the type of discussion that just gets silly as the VR owners will say that:

if you need to ask you ain't got a vr :-P

Not knocking you Lee but it's a typical VR owners comment!!!!

Then your G60 owners will claim that it's a more aggressive and tunable engine blah blah blah.#

I have my G60 that I've spent a fortune on and wouldn't even consider swapping for a VR

It's horses for courses!!

If you like smooth delivery of power, ideal for motorways, daily driver etc then the VR is for you. If you like tinkering, you like noise aggressions and torque etc etc then the G60 is for you.

I know before you all start that this is not the definative guide, but haven't we had this arguement getting out of hand tooooooo many times before anding up with a load of disgruntled Corrado owners and a rift between the 2 types!!

Well sai Blue Joe, each to their own - the important thing is that you have seen the light and are going to buy a Rado

hmmm...i disagree....i had an 8v, the slowest of all raddos, and to be honest i miss it sometimes :oops: ...the raddo has alot more to offer than just speed, thats why we all love em..if it was just speed we were after we could all go alot faster for our money (( japanese )). I miss my 8v because it was such a simple engine, no worries about it going wrong and if/when it did it was simple and MUCH cheaper to get bits for, but at the same time it handled like a dream, it was immaculate inside and out (( which you find alot more common in 8v and 16v's as vr6's and g60's are more often owned by people who like to give their car a good ragging! ))... :D

Yup - take your points, there, corradowales.

I was only being provocative, to be honest.

All my previous cars have been slower and with a lesser image and I would defend owning most of them.

God, I feel rotten now, saysomestuff and corradowales! :oops: :cry:

OK Hows about a forum regulation "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything."?

Good one for everyday life, too, but I keep breaking it, unlike my wife.

PS - luv your avatar "saysomestuff" :)

I personally find the G60 more 'fun' because you can mess around with it so easily for very little money. For example buying a £50 pulley and £100 chip, and instantly have a different car! :)

But then on the other side of it, I know that despite all the mods done to my car, I can only just keep up with my mates VR6 golf, and off the line he apsolutely destroys me!! Plus I love the sound of a VR :D

I think if I could afford it, I'd get the VR6... then supercharge it :D

So in my opinion...

8v/16v all the fun handling and cool looks of a Corrado without the (quite as) horrific running costs

G60 The sounds of a supercharger, that special engine and all the tunability you could want

VR6 The noise and efforless grunt

So they're all good for different purposes and people... ;)

dinkus, good summary. I simply couldn't afford to run a G60 or VR6 but I can (just) afford to run a valver and I have a Corrado. I still love it as a car and every time I feel dissapointed performance wise, all I have to do is get in work's Astra and then back in my car to feel good again :-)

God, I feel rotten now, saysomestuff and corradowales! :oops: :cry:

OK Hows about a forum regulation "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything."?

Good one for everyday life, too, but I keep breaking it, unlike my wife.

PS - luv your avatar "saysomestuff" :)

hey no worries..i can see your point....you didnt offend me at all (( i've got a g60 after all :wink: )) ....just reckon theres still alot to be said for the 8 and 16 valvers as cars for different reasons. :D

I found that the g60 engine in my rallye was ok once you got it going but it took a while to get there. I put this down to the engine been standard spec in a heavy car with the drag of four wheel drive. I can understand that this engine would pull a lot better in a lighter, two wheel drive car.

Is the g60 Corrado a rare car then, any idea on the numbers built?

I rather like Supercharged's TDI Corrado, it'll murder a VR and positively tread all over a G60 up to 3000rpm. Drove it today and was laughing my head off all the while, it's an absolute hoot to drive. Oodles of torque.

Dont see the point of 1.8 and 2.0 Corrado myself.

Same idea as 1.3 Capris and Cavaliers. :wink: :shock:

i feel quite offended that another rado owner has said that :\

if it wasnt for them i wouldnt have a rado now