Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

Caliper Paint

NOOOOOOOO

Don't waste your money on Foilitec. Clean up your calipers hard with a wirebrush then use a few coats of Hammerite Smooth. Gives an excellent finish and really lasts.

I did my rear calipers with Hammerite Smooth Red a year ago and they still look like I did them yesterday. Very nice finish on them

Upgrade defo on the cards but I'm trying to prioritise for e38, lots of other stuff on the list way ahead of brake conversion.

Hammerite smooth it is then, blue or yellow methinks

Thanks guys :D

Halfords do a range of own brand paint caliper paint in several different colours... their red is pretty much identical to the Brembo red when a couple of coats are applied...

It's also oil resistant where Hammerite isn't... ;)

i've done mine red and i used the halfords caliper paint , very similar to the brembo red, if you're going to clean them up then you might aswell protect them

once they're done nothing sticks to them so they wash really easy :-)

911 turbos had red calipers, and ever since i saw them, have always wanted the same look on my car. im gonna do mine red, although i agree black or silver would be much more subtle look.

hammerite smooth spray is good, at least i think thats what its called!!

as i got a set of rear calipers from a mk4 golf gti with delivery mileage on them for £30 quid the pair (car had been badly damaged on the transporter), i decided to clean up the front brakes at the same time and replace all of my seals, a friend of mine who works at a machine shop let me use the bead blast cabinet to clean up the front and rear calipers which made them look better than new and left a perfect surface for painting

and also used the proper spray gun in his workshop and gave them a nice thick coat of hammerite smooth silver.

after a couple of weeks of use the paint has gone rock hard and when i bled the brakes and some brake fluid leaked onto the calipers it didnt even mark the paint after being left on for 10 minutes

Hmmm, think I may have to do this on mine too as it looks a tad easy...

What colour on an Indian Red Pearl 'rat though - red, black, or silver...?

Folia tec is worth the extra in IMO. You only have to paint them once and they stay mint and easily cleaned.

Hmmm, think I may have to do this on mine too as it looks a tad easy...

What colour on an Indian Red Pearl 'rat though - red, black, or silver...?

Silver 8)

I don't think painting the front calipers is too bad a thing, but painting the rears a nice stand out red or yellow makes it really easy to see just how small the brakes are at the back. If you've done a bigger brake upgrade, then I'd say go for it - let everyone know, but if they're just standard...

This is just my opinion, of course! I've done some pretty strange things to my cars in the past which I really liked, but others didn't, but I never let it bother me because I liked it!

The callipers on my silver VR were red when I got it and they did look rather good, but they do show the dirt up when they're not clean and there's part of me that thinks they're trying to be Brembos when they're not...

Can't be bothered to paint the new callipers on there tho, so they're sporting the 'natural look' :lol:

there's part of me that thinks they're trying to be Brembos when they're not

I think I might do mine black for that reason as I dont have brembos, so can;t really do red and the main reason to paint them is they are noticably sh!tey brown looking :pukeright: