Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

hi lads can any one point me in the dircetion of a good exhaust turbo manifold as there seems to be a lot of people critasising the spa one?

i am just in the middle of selling my VF charger and the plan is to join all of you with the turbo way, the thing is i would really like to keep the original inlet manifold as i prefer the look of the engine this way and i see a lot of people in germany and USA still use the original inlet mani. your help will be appriciated as im starting to buy the bits i need to start this while i convert to OBD2 this winter after i get my car back from paynes.

thanks

hi lads can any one point me in the dircetion of a good exhaust turbo manifold as there seems to be a lot of people critasising the spa one?

i am just in the middle of selling my VF charger and the plan is to join all of you with the turbo way, the thing is i would really like to keep the original inlet manifold as i prefer the look of the engine this way and i see a lot of people in germany and USA still use the original inlet mani. your help will be appriciated as im starting to buy the bits i need to start this while i convert to OBD2 this winter after i get my car back from paynes.

thanks

Only Kev seems to have trouble with the SP ones,his car is a daily driver and everthing he has will be tested to the max.

But its still a good manifold to use for genral use,the ATP ones also are good and can be used with stock manifold.

Then there is kenetic among others,but its your choise.

Kev, you got more Turbo goodies :)

Been on ATP site, like this GT3082 http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=GRT be next upgrade for me

Looks great! Still think the GT35R is best for the VR6 :D

Kev,your going 38mm waste gate,what is the reason for this and what is the size of the exit of the atp wastegate hole on the manifold?

I'm actually going up to 44mm from 38. More flow is the reason. Manifold hole is about 40mm, but will be bored out. Bill also recommends the 44mm with GT35R.

Only Kev seems to have trouble with the SP ones,his car is a daily driver and everthing he has will be tested to the max.

I'm not the only one. But I am the only one that's publicised the problems with it though :D

I like the design of the SPA. Definitely best for RHD cars, but the quality isn't up to my standards unfortunately.

I'd say the kinetics is probably the strongest one currently. The ATP isn't brilliant either, but it's better than the SPA quality wise and easier to get hold of replacements.

I was wondering who pianowire was...lol!

Yea i know more flow is better but what boost will you be looking at with the bigger injectors?

Are you still going to use your current exhast system with the new wastegate? or go 3 " all the way out the back..

Very impressed with the Denso injectors. I've never felt a VR6 idle so smoothly, idles like a 24V! :D

Pulls better on boost too. Still working on the part throttle mapping but initial impressions are very encouraging! :D

Easily the best injector I've worked with so far.

I was wondering who pianowire was...lol!

Yea i know more flow is better but what boost will you be looking at with the bigger injectors?

Are you still going to use your current exhast system with the new wastegate? or go 3 " all the way out the back..

LOL, just going through a succession of different "....wire"s :lol:

I won't be going any higher than 15psi, but will be aiming for max hp possible from that boost on this engine 8) Add to that the Gemini 6 speed and it will be one very rapid road car.

Yep, I will be going full 3". I've looked at several plots with VR6s running a one box 3" system and they definitely spool quicker and make more torque :D

Yep, I will be going full 3". I've looked at several plots with VR6s running a one box 3" system and they definitely spool quicker and make more torque :D

Like mine Mr piano :lol:

I'm not the only one. But I am the only one that's publicised the problems with it though :D

I like the design of the SPA. Definitely best for RHD cars, but the quality isn't up to my standards unfortunately.

I'd say the kinetics is probably the strongest one currently. The ATP isn't brilliant either, but it's better than the SPA quality wise and easier to get hold of replacements.

alright kev what seems to be the prob with SPA ones as i like the design of these the most or may be an ATP as they look like they give more clearance for the master cylinder, is it to do with the material used ??

cheers

I think these pics explain everything mate. Only 3 of the ports sealed fully. The oblong ports in the manifold aren't even oblong to match the gasket! As I say, it's a nice design of manifold and flows extremely well, but the quality is appalling. Being Brazilian, that's no surprise to be honest. They're not known for their metal quality.

And I had 2 of these manifolds do the same thing.

If you do want to use this manifold, make sure you buy it from C2 Motorsports and get a warranty and thoroughly inspect the port alignment before fitting it. You may be lucky and get a good one.

If you use the ATP, you may have to move the brake fluid pot if your turbo has a 4" inlet, but as StormchargedVR6 has shown with his ATP, that's not a problem :D

I think these pics explain everything mate. Only 3 of the ports sealed fully. The oblong ports in the manifold aren't even oblong to match the gasket! As I say, it's a nice design of manifold and flows extremely well, but the quality is appalling. Being Brazilian, that's no surprise to be honest. They're not known for their metal quality.

And I had 2 of these manifolds do the same thing.

If you do want to use this manifold, make sure you buy it from C2 Motorsports and get a warranty and thoroughly inspect the port alignment before fitting it. You may be lucky and get a good one.

If you use the ATP, you may have to move the brake fluid pot if your turbo has a 4" inlet, but as StormchargedVR6 has shown with his ATP, that's not a problem :D

"pianowire"

cheers for that i see what you mean about the poor workmanship its a shame as it has lot of clearance for the brake fluid pot, i have seen on there web site that they warrant their manifolds for life though:http://spaturbousa.com/home//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=65.

"StormchargedVR6"

cheers for your pics the engine bay looks so nice, it looks like the ATP manifold works well too but i would have to rotate the intake side of the turbo by 90 degrees clockwise as i really want to use the original inlet. was there much work in relocating the brake res?

black dub your would be better going short-runner , if your going intercooler or charger cooler its going to be

long route back to TB. Shorter you keep the pipe work less boost drop.

black dub your would be better going short-runner , if your going intercooler or charger cooler its going to be

long route back to TB. Shorter you keep the pipe work less boost drop.

yes i know but i really like the look of the original manifold :(

i like the look of this but mine will be a lot less clutered as im going to be hidding most/all or the loom and smoothing the bay too : http://www.c2motorsports.net/images/car ... tta_07.jpg

Is it me or does this happen to other people.

I click the orange symbol to go to the first unread post and i get page 33, i have already clicked the mark all posts read and it works fine till i log off, come back and it does it all agaun?

i may be wrong?? but isn't marcus on here using the EIP turbo manifold with the standard inlet manifold??

just found a pic of it also

karl

This is Keiths car at JKM with ATP manifold and standard inlet

vr6turbo_enginebay_big.jpg[/attachment:2jautoo0]

Inlet on this one has been modified, not sure if its to do with clearance on the turbo or not though.

i may be wrong?? but isn't marcus on here using the EIP turbo manifold with the standard inlet manifold??

just found a pic of it also

karl

Pretty sure he is. There's a lot of pipework to and from the FMIC though.

This is Keiths car at JKM with ATP manifold and standard inlet

vr6turbo_enginebay_big.jpg[/attachment:q1683ahy]

Inlet on this one has been modified, not sure if its to do with clearance on the turbo or not though.

There was fair bit of work done to the inlet manifold, TB is on the other side.