Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

This is Keiths car at JKM with ATP manifold and standard inlet

vr6turbo_enginebay_big.jpg[/attachment:2tpnrxv2]

Inlet on this one has been modified, not sure if its to do with clearance on the turbo or not though.

There was fair bit of work done to the inlet manifold, TB is on the other side.

thats just the way i would like to set mine up i think that looks great, keeps the OEM look about the engine.

i may have to contact keith to see if he has any pics of his manifold, i have a rough idea of what i will do but its always good to compare with others that have already been there and done it.

is that his manifold on pg 28 of this thread?

it also looks like i may have to return to the standard sump to allow boost pipe to run under so may sell my alloy sump n oil pump :?

I think late American 12Vs had the throttle pointing to the passenger side like the 24V engine, which might help you? They also had the crankcase breather fumes evacuate on that side too, which is definitely a bonus if using the ATP manifold.

As for the oil return, I drain back to the block as it's a less restricted return path and above the driveshaft.

those pics are handy cheers kev and ill also look on the american ebay to see about those manifolds if not ill just mod my 2.9 manifold to replicate the one on pg28 but ill use an OBD2 throttle body flange of a spare manifold i have.

also did anything happen about those stainless exhaust manifolds you were talking about that replicate a certain poor quality cast one?

cheers

No worries, I posted all 3 so you can see exactly where to drill. You might be able to do it with the engine in situ with a decent 90 degree drill. Just drop the sump first, obviously, to get the swarf out :D As you can see though, mine was done on a stand whilst being built.

Yeah if you know of a good tig welder, modding your manifold is not a problem.

Unfortunately the tubular version of the SPA manifold my friend had made couldn't be made consistently in numbers, so we shelved that plan. He kept the prototype though, reworked it slightly and is working well on his car. Currently running 15psi, 380whp, Motec ECU, GT35R 1.06, 3" exhaust, SP kit etc etc. There's more power to come from that boost though. Very Very conservative timing. I expect to see at least 400whp from 15psi when he's finished mapping it.

He's not on this forum, but I'm sure he won't mind me posting some pics of his install :D . His workmanship is brilliant. It's the first VRT he's done and he's got a real eye for quality and attention to detail. Awesome work :notworthy:

if you go on kraut e-bay and type in vr6 turbo, there's sometimes standard inlet manifolds that have been adapted so the TB points to the nearside, i saw a few when i was considering rotrex/turbo, i also saw one that had the chargecooler built into the inlet manifold.

sometimes wish i had seen that through :(

yes my engine is out so ill be able to drill the oil return in with no worries.

i have had a look on both german + US ebay but i would rather do my own so i know its done properly.

Hi guys,

Have started my Storm/Rotrex install and have a few questions before I start putting everything back and tightening stuff up.

What torque settings I should be using on the nuts and bolts for the roller and pulleys that attach to the bracket (and the extra pulley/bracket for non A/C cars) from Storm. I'm assuming the torque settings for attaching the bracket to the head will be the same?

I need to get the bolt for the non a/c bracket onto the head (below the alternator) but theres a plastic cover in the way. This is right next to the serp belt and i dont want to yank it too much as it might break. Anyone know how to get this out?

Also anyone have the layout how the belt should go? I saw some pics on here but can't seem to find them now!

So far its going well and I have roughly mounted the header tank, cooler and all the pipes and just need to tighten everything up and mount the inlet pipes. Had a bad couple of hours today because I managed to snap a rusted bracket/screw for the drivers side headlamp which I will now have to remake somehow! I think the funs going to start when i have to get that belt on!

Your help would be much appreciated as I'm at the last hurdle now :)

Cheers,

Harin

PS: Apologies if my terminolgy is slightly off!

Yea i was trying to get hold of Andy but looks like he's shut this week. Oh well looks like it'll have to wait for a while which is fine by me since its damn cold outside! Cheers.

Hi Kev,

I am on this forum, but have been lurking in the background for the past few years!

Thanks for posting my install pics, don't mind at all. Have not had time to put it on the dyno again, but done some tweaking /tidying of the map on the road and she feels even stronger on boost.

I would not have got to this stage on my VR6 without your help and advice over the years :salute:

How's your upgrade/evolution of your setup coming along?

CorradoVR6-Nos, vr6boy: Thanks for your kind words, the install in on a Mk3 Golf, but fitted with the front end panels, bonnet, wings, etc.. from a 2002 Golf Cabriolet.

Cheers

Kong

Hi Kong

Good to see you on here! :D

It's great fun and rewarding mapping your own engine isn't it? I find the dyno run gets it close, but some fine tuning on the road really puts the icing on the cake 8)

Other than fitting those Denso injectors Paul Yaw sorted for me, I've just been running it really. It's a daily workhorse, so I can't tinker with it too much until I move into my new house (next week), and then I'll start the upgrades :D

I keep hearing good things about the 1.06 AR housing on the GT35, from yourself and others, so I'm giving that some thought aswell now!

Have you got used to the boost yet?! Although VRTs are ridiculously quick, you do get used to it very quickly!

Blimey.... 660hp!! Graph looks a bit spikey tho...

Is it 4wd?

4wd?? more like has it got wings :lol:

and Andy has mentioned on the vr6oc that he needs some more powerfull injectors as thats whats causing the car to run lean after 5400rpm :shock:

Blimey.... 660hp!! Graph looks a bit spikey tho...

Is it 4wd?

4wd?? more like has it got wings :lol:

and Andy has mentioned on the vr6oc that he needs some more powerfull injectors as thats whats causing the car to run lean after 5400rpm :shock:

its more like its a drunk who just slept with your sister then punched you in the face!

That's nothing. Twin turbo Passat W8 engine is where it's at.....

Only kidding, that's a cracking result. Is that what you're aiming for with your R36 Alex?

So 20 psi + 3.6 litres = 660hp, very nice indeed.

Think 6 wheel drive would be a better approach! Would love to see how they held it in the rollers :shock:

Great result :D

That's nothing. Twin turbo Passat W8 engine is where it's at.....

Only kidding, that's a cracking result. Is that what you're aiming for with your R36 Alex?

So 20 psi + 3.6 litres = 660hp, very nice indeed.

I have a similar spec so could be interesting! However Andy said his is mental with only fwd drive so it looks like a change of chassis is in order to be able to use the power.

Believe it or not that was not the best run they had, it was a complete bastard getting it to stay on the rollers apparently! There was another 500 or so revs still availabe but with the injectors at 100% you can see the fueling tailing off. Im sure once Andy has finished the fine tuning and revised the fueling etc there will be more to come.

Kev have you heard how John @ Stealth is getting on with his? Must be getting close.