Sign in to follow this  
Burnout

De-Cat

Are any of you boyos running a de cat exhaust?

Mine is on its last legs so I'm going for a straight thru pipe, I know a very freindly MOT guy too.

Opinions would be appreciated. (BTW, also have a full milltek)

Thanks!

My mine is on its last legs

i wouldnt go using explosives that are on their last legs mate... :wink:

Cats are expensive tho, a milltek decat pipe is £55 iirc, which is also a silencer.

I have to add that i got a VERY noticable difference when replaced with a cat-pass pipe, i know i have a charger but Kev The Wire didn't have his charger at the time and reported a noticeable difference on N/A.

We both run VR6's too.

Chris

Vince up at Stealth apparently reported zero difference on the rolling road when doing a before-and-after power run during the fitting of a de-cat pipe to a standard Golf VR6, or so I'm told. Shares can go down as well as up, in other words.

I am told, however, that the benefit is greatly increased if you're running FI.

Mines at stealth next friday with a cat bypass in the boot.

Will let you know. Unless mines putting out 120bhp on the first run in which case i will be very quiet.

What's the legal position with de-cats, could you get a b*llocking if pulled over and they find you haven't got a cat?

yes...unless your car is pre 93 i think....like mine is :D ....the main problem is the MOT mate...you wont pass without a cat in a 94 car....although if you do decide to put the cat amongst the pigeons and let the cat outta the bag so to speak...make sure you keep the CAT and swap it over before MOT time!.

IIRC you dont legally have to have a CAT at all but the only way you are going to pass the emissions test is with one.

Well I've just had it fitted and its great. Realy nice deep roar and it certainly feels alot perkier!

It feels like it revs alot more free through the rev range, nice ;)

IIRC you dont legally have to have a CAT at all but the only way you are going to pass the emissions test is with one.

Nope, all they check is the CO at idle and VRs always fall well within the permissable CO limits for that age bracket. The Cat is only really effective at higher rpms.

I've got a SuperSprint bypass on mine which and difference is very noticable.

Any petrol car post 93 must have a CAT on it for emmissions reasons. It will not pass an MOT without it, unless you have a friendly MOT person! Mine didn't pass, so I put the CAT back on (for the MOT!).

My bypass looks like a sports cat though.... so unless the tester sticks his nose up the exhaust and detects a distinct lack of sulphur, then I reckon she'll pass :lol:

If not then it's the perfect excuse to fit a Jetex Sports cat and Magnex system, or SuperSprint.

As far as in know, it's not a legal requirement to have a cat after '92/93, but the emission laws became alot stricter then so cats are normally needed to pass the test. If you pass without a cat there is no problem in not having one but it's unlikely you will pass.

The CO & hydrocarbon (HC) allowance for pre 96 cars (pre OBD2) and EURO2 emissions, is quite large.

My MOT test sheet from last year:-

Acceptable limits - Fast idle test

CO - Acceptable = 0.20%. Measured = 0.04% - Pass

HC - Acceptable = 200ppm. Measured = 85ppm - Pass

Lambda - Acceptable = 0.970 - 1.030. Measured = 1.002 - Pass

Acceptable limit - Natural idle test

CO - 0.30% Acceptable. Measured = 0.02% - Pass

So long as those figures are reached or better, the car will pass with or without a cat.