A20 LEE

A20 LEE My New Daily..

Ahh :shock: , all those nooks and crannies, that must have been a nightmare! Well done! :D

Lee, respect to you. How many hours and how many fingers-worth was that then?

Not sure exactly, i'd probably still be sanding if the TV wasn't so crap over christmas. At a guess 50 for the whole lot.

Sweet, whats that on the box that looks like copper grease or is it tin foil?

Thats electrical copper tape. Basically i mask the areas which i don't want chroming with the copper tape. Once the box is chromed the tape (which gets chromed too) is peeled off to reveal a chrome free surface.

Lee, respect to you. How many hours and how many fingers-worth was that then?

Not sure exactly, i'd probably still be sanding if the TV wasn't so crap over christmas. At a guess 50 for the whole lot.

Thats good going for such a complex piece of metal. Look forward to the fitted pics now.

That looks good enough to me but i know it wont last if not chromed. Alot of effort put in it, good work mate.

I rememebr seeing a mk1 G60 in The Golf mag aes ago, and he's tried to do this, only to find that the chromw wouldn't take to the ally of either the gearbox or bell housing. please tell me you checked the material first?? he had to have a billet casing made up!

That must be THE most awkward thing to polish, I wouldn't have even attempted it, wheels are bad enough!

As a few have stated, you're crackers!!

I rememebr seeing a mk1 G60 in The Golf mag aes ago, and he's tried to do this, only to find that the chromw wouldn't take to the ally of either the gearbox or bell housing. please tell me you checked the material first?? he had to have a billet casing made up!

That must be THE most awkward thing to polish, I wouldn't have even attempted it, wheels are bad enough!

As a few have stated, you're crackers!!

The chromers i've used haven't let me down so far. Not sure if it will chrome or not, think the biggest problem i'll have is the finish will be iffy in places and abit gold due to the complicated surfaces or they will refuse to plate it full stop. It won't be perfect, there too many different angles. But sometimes you set yourself a goal and do your best. I've never seen a chrome or even polished VR box before so i'm halfway there, hopefully it will work. I'll be pretty gutted if doesn't work as the case will be scrap and i'll have to polish up another one and settle for a polished box.

Lee, let me start off by saying that I've read this thread as well as your PVW article from beginning to end on more than one ocassion and that your car has been a huge inspiration for my MKII jetta 'coupe. I just can't get enough of your corrado. I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while. Just figured I would finally post...

Your gearbox and bellhousing are coming along nicely. I don't think your chromer will put up to much of a fuss. :lol: I had my VR gearbox & bellhousing triple chrome plated last year and the only issue's I had were that there was some "yellowing" on the gearbox around some of the intricate formations. Other than that the result is pretty bright & smooth!

Here are a few pictures of my VR box amongst other things. I hope you don't mind me posting these pic's in your thread. If so, just let me know and I'll promptly remove them.

Lee, let me start off by saying that I've read this thread as well as your PVW article from beginning to end on more than one ocassion and that your car has been a huge inspiration for my MKII jetta 'coupe. I just can't get enough of your corrado. I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while. Just figured I would finally post...

Your gearbox and bellhousing are coming along nicely. I don't think your chromer will put up to much of a fuss. :lol: I had my VR gearbox & bellhousing triple chrome plated last year and the only issue's I had were that there was some "yellowing" on the gearbox around some of the intricate formations. Other than that the result is pretty bright & smooth!

Here are a few pictures of my VR box amongst other things. I hope you don't mind me posting these pic's in your thread. If so, just let me know and I'll promptly remove them.

Wow, can't believe i've inspired you. Your cars much better than mine, seen it on E38 forum and loved it. Don't worry about posting pics, who wouldn't want to see work of that quality, now I'm more hopeful mine will work out. Interested to know more about triple chrome plating, heard it mentioned with regard to wheels but not sure its a process many UK platers are familar with, we don't really do prep to the standard you US guys do. Mainly cause the classic car scene is king here rather than Hot/Street Rod. Guess its just dipped in the bright nickel three times? Thanks again for your comments, really means alot from someone I totally respect.

Wow, can't believe i've inspired you. Your cars much better than mine, seen it on E38 forum and loved it. Don't worry about posting pics, who wouldn't want to see work of that quality, now I'm more hopeful mine will work out. Interested to know more about triple chrome plating, heard it mentioned with regard to wheels but not sure its a process many UK platers are familar with, we don't really do prep to the standard you US guys do. Mainly cause the classic car scene is king here rather than Hot/Street Rod. Guess its just dipped in the bright nickel three times? Thanks again for your comments, really means alot from someone I totally respect.

Yes sir, your corrado has been awe inspiring! :D Don't be so modest, Lee. From all the pic's I have seen of your car it is truly topnotch. A true world beater!

As far as the trans is concerned I kinda lucked out. The metal refinisher that did my trans also has the equipment to do mirror polishing. So essentially you could stop by his shop, drop off a piece of dirty, raw, unfinished metal and in a few weeks return to pick up the same piece gleaming in chrome....although I'm sure there's a certain satisfaction you have from doing most of this yourself.

You are correct about the triple chrome plating process. The piece is dipped a total of three times in the bright nickel solution.

Again I say thanks for the compliments and kind words, Lee. I really do appreciate it! Hopefully later this year I'll be able to make it over for the E38 show and see your creation in person!

....although I'm sure there's a certain satisfaction you have from doing most of this yourself.

Again I say thanks for the compliments and kind words, Lee. I really do appreciate it! Hopefully later this year I'll be able to make it over for the E38 show and see your creation in person!

This is the part i really enjoy, got to admit. Just really like transforming parts from old and dirty to better than new.

Look forward hopefully meeting you soon.

ummm I think you have a chrome fetish my man! If I was doing all that chroming, a large chroming tank would be on my christmas list! But Jesus man, want an awe-inspiring car, I and I'm sure others would like to see some more pics of the car, have you got a few shots of the exterior and interior? Well done! I wish I had the patients to clean all of that, in this country with all the salt on the road your car would be mullered in seconds! I've only driven mine about 5 miles and I was under it last week removing a section of the propshaft and I was stunned by the amount of dirt already stuck to it! Anyway some more pics are needed and seriously top job!

P.S. Lee yours is coming along nicely aswell! :D

Ben

WOW! I absolutely adored that Jetta the first time I saw it, and now I find it's that clean undernetah as well! incredible, deserves it's own thread!

ummm I think you have a chrome fetish my man! If I was doing all that chroming, a large chroming tank would be on my christmas list! But Jesus man, want an awe-inspiring car, I and I'm sure others would like to see some more pics of the car, have you got a few shots of the exterior and interior? Well done! I wish I had the patients to clean all of that, in this country with all the salt on the road your car would be mullered in seconds! I've only driven mine about 5 miles and I was under it last week removing a section of the propshaft and I was stunned by the amount of dirt already stuck to it! Anyway some more pics are needed and seriously top job!

P.S. Lee yours is coming along nicely aswell! :D

Ben

I guess you could say it's a fetish...lol! It started out as me only wanting to chrome & polish a few pieces ( like the intake manifold, cam cover, tensioner & etc. ) then before I knew it the chrome bug bit me and it snowballed outta control.

I can totally relate to the driveability issue's. I accidentily scuffed the underside of my chrome subframe while trying to load the car onto a trailer. I drove the car a couple of miles thereafter only to find out a few days later that the subframe started to rust in the same spot that got scuffed up a few days earlier. To make a long story short I wound up pulling the motor to get the subframe rechromed. :cry:

I have a hyperlink in my signature that will re-direct you to an exterior pic of my 'coupe. If you would like to see additional pic's I can email them over to you. I don't wanna distract any longer from the awesome buildup/ progress thread, Lee has going on here about his corrado.

P.S. Ben, Lee, Jay & Phat your corrado's are simply amazing. You guys sure do know how to build proper C's over there! 8)

Phenomenal efforts boys!

These shiney engines remind me of those company demo engines you see in receptions that are cut in half and driven by a motor to demonstrate the inner workings.....although your efforts far eclipse those!!

Top marks.

Lee, any progress on the turbo stuff?

WOW! I absolutely adored that Jetta the first time I saw it, and now I find it's that clean undernetah as well! incredible, deserves it's own thread!

Agreed,

TMT McCoy , Please start a thread in the members gallery!! Really want to see more.

Lee, any progress on the turbo stuff?

Still doing the groundwork. Got full set of VF mounts, currently sorting the gearbox, Oil Cooler on the way soon, seaming welding both front subframes, refurbing Eibach ARB's, Stripping & plating the wishbones, got all powerflex bushes, bought new rad cross member, bought new rad with new cowl, V-belt, water pump. Got VDO boost guage and Oil pressure gauge. Still got to buy the intercooler, Air fuel meter, ATB, Clutch, tensioner+chains, recon cylinderhead (maybe big valve) then i can order the turbo kit. The plan is to buy all the misc bits first which are usually unbudgetted for at the beginning so the project doesn't get out of control and the car is sat waiting for parts. Seen too many VR turbo projects get half way through and the owner give up because they didn't plan it properly. You can't just throw on a turbo kit IMO without rebuilding the car mechanically to deal with the torque. To me the turbo is the last thing you order once you have a solid foundation to work from.

I'm going over to Dubsport (DS) in a couple of week for a chat with Mark and Jeff to choose between the two kits they offer. Their own and HGP or possibly a hybrid between the two. DS are keen for me to go for the HGP kit as it gives big power and running cooler due to the front mounted short inlet manifold. Personally I want to keep my current inlet for a more OEM looking install but also want a tubular exhaust manifold rather than a cast one. Power isn't my goal, quality of install and reliablity are more important to me. The 325bhp is a bonus.

A sound ethos mate.

Tis exactly what I did. Suspension, brakes, gearbox strengthening and ATB, seam welding etc, mounts all came before the charger. I'm sure what ever happens it's going to be done to the same high standards as the rest of your car, looking forward to seeing the results!

So Lee, is your stuff at the chromers now?

No, can't afford it just yet. Trying to concentrate on the big labour jobs at the moment as there free. Hopefully this month though. Treated myself to a new starter motor which I'll polish up. If the casing comes off i'll chrome it at the same time.