dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

Yep, OSV is spot on. That's how Stealth do it.

I also have the MK4 rears with OE pads and did have Brembo 312s with Pagid FRs. Bite, modulation and feel were all excellent after a decent bleed as per Dubsport's recommendation. Before bleeding the ABS pump, it's worthwhile disconnecting an ABS sensor and going out and locking the brakes up a few times deliberately. This gets all the old manky fluid out of the pump and into the system ready to be replenished with fresh fluid, preferably DOT 5.1 (not 5!) which has a much higher boiling point than DOT4 and isn't as hygroscopic as DOT 4 either, so will last longer.

The feel with the AP racings is superb, very, very powerful brakes with the perfect effort versus retardation balance. Compared to some over servo'd modern brakes that lock up when you brush them, but fade to buggery at 100mph, the 312s or 4 pot kits are spot on. I prefer to push the pedal harder than rely on massive servos....much better for gently scrubbing off 10mph before approaching a bend, say.

Alright, got everything I need to do this conversion (+ rear mk4 calipers) except the damn goodridge hoses. Rang C&R and they didn't seem to have heard of anyone fitting mk4 platform brakes to a corrado. Said they'd ring back, which was last monday. Anyone know where I can get the 6 hose kit from? It is the general mk2>mk4 kit I need not a corrado specific one is it? Or am I going mental? :brickwall:

Also, anyone got the correct bolts/spacers for the front callipers they would kindly sell me? Can't be arsed trying to find a bolt shop if anyones got a spare set! :wink:

Cheers

Jez, I got mine from C&R!! The guy (and i beleive it was Steve) that i spoke to told ME what id need and they arrived the next day!! Spot on service.

That was the rear banjo converter lines which they do sell on there own.

Im not sure you can buy one kit with everything you want in? Think you need to buy the fronts and back separately.

I have a bit of a question, i have got my hands on some Seat Leon Cupra R brembo's

I have not collected them yet but will be at the weekend, can anyone advise me if they will just need the same setup to fit as the 312's or will they bolt straight on?

Thanks

Should need spacers the same size as used to fit the 312mm set up, but might need to check for clearance on the wheels you have fitted.

Obviously, if they don't fit I'll be happy to swap my 312mm set up... :)

:lol: thanks, i have tt 17's goign onto it, so clearance wont be an issue

Thats what i thought about the spacers so thanks

I can't remember if the Leon Bremos are direct to hub (as per Ibiza) or if they use carriers. Pretty sure the latter, in which case you'll definitely need them and that will take care of the caliper spacing.

the ibiza ones sit on a little mounting bracket that bolts on the original brake carrier mount and then the caliper bolts to that, the Leon ones i think use the same fitment i think

Ah yeah you're right, I'm thinking of the 06 Ibiza that uses the AP calipers.....they bolt straight to the hub.

I did try and get some info about the Ibiza APs but the chap that knew about it only got as far as saying they were about £250 each from the SEAT dealer and bolt straight to the hub, which was a 5x100 job too! He then bought an Audi (he's a parts tech at a dealer) and that kind of went south....so I just bought some APs from AP anyway, LOL!

i hate when that happens, i think i will pop over to seat cupra.net for some info, or just email bill :lol:

Still i have thses so they will do for the moment

Spoke to Steve at C&R today, who was pretty helpful. However I need to know the thickness of the banjo bolt threads or he can't order the lines! He knows mk3 288 calipers are 1.5mm but doesn't know the size of the mk4 calipers' banjo bolts.

I take it they're a thinner thread on the mk4 as per dinkus' wiki? 1.25mm maybe?

Someone must know, its driving me mad!

From my research - you can only get banjo bolts with 1.5mm or 1mm thread. The Mk3s are 1.5mm and the Mk4s are 1mm...

Cheers dude, the footnote in the wiki cleared it up too! Should probably have had another look in there first...

Hold the phone! - took the front and rear calipers into work to confirm the thread pitch of the front and back calipers as they are clearly different. Front was an M10 fitment with a 1.5mm pitch, rear was M12 with a 1.0mm pitch. Both calipers came off a 2001 mk4 golf 1.8t so it would seem that the late mk3 fronts are exactly the same banjo as mk4 ones.

Not having a dig but may need to amend the wiki article Dinkus, as it also still says 312 discs came on all sporty mk4 platformed cars whereas this isn't the case. Only the annivesarys and 4motion golfs, 225 TT, S3 and skoda Vsr thing has em. The 1.8t golf I got my calipers from had scappy old 288s.

having a dig but may need to amend the wiki article Dinkus, as it also still says 312 discs came on all sporty mk4 platformed cars whereas this isn't the case. Only the annivesarys and 4motion golfs, 225 TT, S3 and skoda Vsr thing has em. The 1.8t golf I got my calipers from had scappy old 288s.

As he said, Sporty models only ;-)

Thanks for the info on the rear brakes, Jez - all the bolt sizes etc in this thread and the Wiki article relate to the 312mm brakes - i.e. the fronts, but it's good to have the rear banjo bolt sizes down too.

I've amended the wiki to remove the 20VT Golfs tho :)

I think you missed the point of the post though, what Im saying is that the wiki article says that mk4 front calipers have 1mm pitch banjo bolts. But that isn't true as mine are from a mk4 and they are 1.5mm pitch.

Ohhhh ok - sorry, I got confused.

So it sounds like although the callipers for the 288s and 312s look the same, they actually have different banjo bolts.

That might be the logic behind it?

Possibly, but why would they make the calipers exactly the same except the thread pitch for the brake lines? That wouldn't make sense.

They may be slightly different internally, but still use the same size pads?

Either that or they just made some with the coarse thread and some with fine? :lol:

ok.... so i finally got round to fitting the 312's this weekend... only to find that I didnt get the bolts that mount the calliper to the carrier! Anyone have a part number for these because my local VW dealer cant help me withought a chassis number or part number!

Reeeealy desparate to get these on before Inters this Satarday, pleeeeeeesae help!

Cheers guys

why not? are your dealers retards or something?

just tell them it's a 2001 V6 4motion, BDE engine code.