Sign in to follow this  
Trig

trig's 94 OBD2 VR6 - New Wheels!!!! (...finally)

andy, I see your point but this test lasted almost 2 weeks and 10+ different trips along Cornish B roads. Have you verified your MPG readings with the petrol tank?

Yes, I'm a bit of a fuel economy anorak! :oops: Yours is obviously noticeably better than obd1, I can see that, I reckon you'll get significantly better mpg than quoted on a long run.

Walesy, cheers bud, I understand the hoodliner thing - not everyones bag. Pretty sure you drove past me today at 7.45pm in Watergate Bay by the way. If it wasn't you then it was another yellow C!

ardandy, total cost in labour was £500+VAT parts were £250 but i'm recouping that from selling the parts that came off, so only playing for labour really. I still reckon i'm getting 20% more miles to a gallon of fuel. 1 mile costs about 15p as opposed to about 19p (roughly) so that's a saving of 4p per mile. 4p into £580 is 14.5k miles to pay for itself. Bargain IMO. Not to mention all the other benefits of OBD2.

andy, agreed mate. I'll just knock about 10% off my readings now which means the other day when I got a displayed 41MPG I was infact up to almost 37MPG. :D

Walesy, cheers bud, I understand the hoodliner thing - not everyones bag. Pretty sure you drove past me today at 7.45pm in Watergate Bay by the way. If it wasn't you then it was another yellow C!

Not me Trig , if it was i'd have stuck my fingers up :lol: :wink: - there's a guy that owns a yellow Mk2 that lives in Watergate bay though - it wasn't that was it? ( I assume you're pretty blury eyed at that time? )

Definately a Nugget C only saw it from a distance after it had passed behind me and the guy driving it even looked like you! (a little bit wuurrr and a little bit waaay)

I have an OBD1 Vento with a BRM chip (no other engine mods) and I average 29.5 MPG overall with the MFA quoting me 30.6 MPG so it's not too far out.

Normally fill-up with Shell unleaded at the same pump each time when the tank gets to a quarter full.

I have a 5 mile commute to work and do a 100 mile motorway trek each weekend so it get's good allround use.

Do Stealth (or anyone else for that matter) now do a "OBD2" bundle? Or do you still need to dig around sourcing parts and looms yourself?

Trig - it is indeed a 2.8 VR6, I'm reliably informed that the 2.8 is a tad torquier than the 2.9.

Incidently changing back to 15" (205-50-15) wheels has gained me an extra 2 MPG over my old 16" Speedlines (215-40-16).

The weight of the Speedline's is practically the same as standard alloys, it's the extra width that saps the juice a little more.

The doors make a nice thud noise when closing now rather than the standard Corrado 'clang'! Agree with the hoodliner, the wrinkles are a bit of a shame, I tried to flatten them out but it wasn't having any of it.

have you tried one of those little wallpaper rollers? looks like a roller paintbrush but has a solid plastic roller. I used on to flatten down the soundproofing in my old VR when I did the doors and couldnt get my hands into get it properly flat. gave quite a smooth finish with a little care

Do Stealth (or anyone else for that matter) now do a "OBD2" bundle? Or do you still need to dig around sourcing parts and looms yourself?

Not as far as I know. Best bet is to find someone breaking a highline and nab all the bits off that. I didn't have to much trouble getting the bits, only snag was that the loom was no use.

chrishill, i'll give that a go but it doesn't look like it'll straighten out properly, like anything that has been rolled up a while.

Bad news...

Failed my MOT :(

Ah well. Most of the failures were to do with rusting brake pipes... But the worst one is that my nearside sill is rusting away underneath, still I'm booked in the bodyshop for the 28th so it's something to add to the list! Other points included my rear lights (suprise suprise), one of my sidelights and my nearside balljoint.

Good news...

All my brake stuff is now here including brand new goodridge hoses, 288 discs, MK4 rear calipers, new handbrake cables..etc. So whilst fitting all that I can sort out the brake pipes as well. The MOT place said they can make up new pipes for me if I take the old ones in which is good. So I need to work out how to do a ball joint.. any tips?

Could also do with another set of hands/head in doing the brake job... dave? tim? ;) (free beer)

Pictures of the brake stuff & A picture of the new TB i've fitted alongside the old one which was kindly supplied by kevhaywire. Thanks :) It's a bored OBD2 TB which seems to over a slight improvement in pick up making the car a bit more perky.

EDIT: Did an oil and plug change the other day as well so i'm running off silkolene now! :D

well done trig you not going to inters? i wish i could but C off road for the minute! hows tricks? brakes will look mean mate i'd come give youi havd just a bit of a long drive however i am doin newquay for stag party next week thursday till sunday will send you a pm check your number etc! catch ya soon chap

Andy

LOL Fancy helping me fit my brakes instead of stagging it?! :lol:

Bodywork is getting done on 28th so i've got to get everything else done before then so I can MOT it again before the end of the month...

But the worst one is that my nearside sill is rusting away underneath,

Ouch! Is it really bad? Is it where the join is (the underseal often breaks away when it's jacked up) or just a patch from a stone chip? They can't really fail the rust unless it's structural, i.e they can put their finger through it!

Hope it gets sorted OK.

Dr_Mat, No, Vince doesn't do OBD2 bundles and he hates doing it aswell, so you're on your own as far as sourcing the parts goes :-)

Trig,

Just about to do the MK4 rear brake conversion on my new VR, where did you get your set up from?(and what is it) Did the callipers come already painted red (look awsome). Also how much did this little lot set you back? I've been looking at about the £300 mark for the parts is that ok?

your motor looks great by the way, just been looking through some of your gallery, like the way you are making the original just slightly better without going mental, hoping to do something similar to mine, refurb the speedlines, slightly lower, bit of de-cluttering and colour coding, oh and polish the hell out of the engine bay!.......

Let me know if you need to borrow some standard rear lights for the re-test mate.

Aye, I was going to ask you about that - thanks for offering! Re-test is on Monday (I think) so i'll maybe pop over Sunday night?

Pretty sure I saw your missus driving around in your new C in the Newquay area on Sunday afternoon/evening...?

Ouch! Is it really bad? Is it where the join is (the underseal often breaks away when it's jacked up) or just a patch from a stone chip? They can't really fail the rust unless it's structural

Err yeh it's pretty bad. It failed on that because the passenger seatbelt needs something secure to bolt onto etc.

Just got back from the bodyshop actually.

Car will be there until friday getting the dent(s) sorted in the passenger door and having the door sprayed as well as the rear quater. Then he will do the sill. He basically said I could have a new sill fitted etc. but it would cost a small fortune or he could patch the old one up for a lot less. Really can't afford the £450 just in labour for a new sill so i've gone with the patch job... :(

Finally finished doing the brakes yesterday....

New solid lines throughout

All 6 rubber hoses replaced with goodrich braided hoses

288mm brembo max discs

mk3 front calipers

pagid FR pads

mk4 rear calipers with brembo discs

New handbrake cables

Took longer than expected but I reckon I could do it a lot faster next time. Bleeding the brakes was a drawn out nightmare and i'm still not completely happy with the pedal feel but really need the new brakes o bed in before I can judge it properly.

So just the ball joint left to do now and 1 new tyre (gone with uniroyal rainsports this time) and she should pass with flying (freshly painted) colours!

lj16v, (& VRTrickster) All of the brake stuff was supplied by heliosjim except for the discs which I got from GSF I paid about £300 for the lot + £50 for the new solid lines.

They came already painted red which is good because I wanted to do them red anyway to match my rear lights.

Thanks for the nice words, always good to get some complements especially when your forking out money all the time and spending every waking hour crawling around underneath the bloody thing! :)

Good luck with the sill repair, hope he does a good job!

You'll like the Punyroyals.... can't believe how much grip those things have :-)

Aye, I was going to ask you about that - thanks for offering! Re-test is on Monday (I think) so i'll maybe pop over Sunday night?

Pretty sure I saw your missus driving around in your new C in the Newquay area on Sunday afternoon/evening...?

Yeah, no probs mate - I'll have to stick your lights on Em's Rado so she can get to work in it tho :)

Perhaps we should pop down to Hayle for a pint at Salt?

Sounds like a great idea but I think i'm actually working sunday night. Gould go down there for lunch though?

Well i'm back from the bodyshop!

Picked her up about an hour ago. Really impressed with the work the guy has done. The paint is really smooth, blends in perfectly with the rest of the car, no sign of the dent and the ridge is still nice and straight.

The work he has done on the sill (which failed the MOT) is also very impressive, it looks like new under there and he's obviously spent a lot of time clearing it up. Apparently minor repairs had been done on it in the past which didn't help matters.

Anyway, i'll no digress no more and let the pictures do the talking.

Sorry about the bushe being in the reflection of where the dent was but the car is just too damn shiny!