Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Did the C get a 3rd brake light?

I made my own using a generic Halfords jobby which I grafted into the interior tailgate surround. Unlike the American one, it requires no body modification and is actually high level instead of 2 inches higher than the normal brake lights.

Im sure I saw a yank C with one, but not sure about our ones. I wouldnt mind having one

UK cars didn't get the job. If fitted, done by an owner. Requires a cut slot behind the unit. Rectangular hole is about two thirds wot is visible.

Spy shot taken yesterday in Derby. US model with moving seat belts UK plates.

It still has the US shaped rear license plate holder though.. I keep meaning to bring my novely Jack Daniels US plate to shows with me to fit on Erics car instead of his UK plate :D

Looks good Kev, was it an easy install? They cheap at halfrauds?

I used a hella high level brake kit, about £20 IIRC. Fitting it was fairly straight forward. It required a bit of dremelling, plastic welding and black silicon sealing etc. I've had it on 2 1/2 years and it's been totally reliable.

LOL, yeah that was in my old job when I was doing a 100 miles a day in it and didn't have time to clean it. Dunno how I found time to mod it in all honesty.

I love that ragged, filthy, well used look anyway.

mine could do with being washed every day due to the sap falling from the trees, within a couple of hours of waxing shes covered in sticky sap and bits of leaves,it really winds me up :mad:

The North American Corrados all had the 'high' level brake light, but it's a real bodge job and they tend to rust around the light because there's not adequate sealing on the thing :roll:

I'd personally go with a similar thing to Kev's - as he says, it's higher and it looks much tidier.

High level brake lights? :?

How about variable level brake lights? ;) :lol:

Nice one Henny, I didn't know you'd done that!

Did you drill a load of individual holes for the LEDs or did you graft in a Hella job like I did? I can't really see in those pics.

That's where I wanted to do mine originally but I didn't want to mess with the spoiler.

It's a load of individual holes drilled in the spoiler and it's seriously bright too! :)

I've got a spare spoiler in my garage that someone can have to try it out on - £10 posted ;) :lol:

It's got 25x 5mm holes with 5mm gaps between them all... there's then a 12,000mcd red LED with individual resistor mounted through the spoiler in each hole and the wires run along the back of the spoiler and drop down through the drain hole in the mechanism... I've not touched it since E38 where I finally got time to fit it and it's still working perfectly... which suprises me as the wiring was a bit dodgy having been bodged in in a field! :oops: :twisted: :lol:

The holes have to be drilled at a VERY specific angle in relation to the top face of the spoiler to make sure that they can be seen in both the up and down positions (and in between!). I got a local engineering shop to drill the holes for me on their computer controlled drill bed so that the holes are perfectly in line and perfectly spaced... 8)

Nice job! Have you welded the rear wiper hole over aswell?

I wouldn't fancy trying to drill that many holes either, good job you had access to a decent drilling bed!

yup, she's fully de-badged, de-wiper'd and de-side trimmed... 8)

Oh, and I got a spare spoiler painted up at the same time as the respray just in case this didn't work and looked crap... Just glad it worked as I've been on about doing this for nearly 2 years now... :oops:

V sweet looking mod... let me know if you ever decide to go back to non-third light and want to sell the spoiler ;)

V sweet looking mod... let me know if you ever decide to go back to non-third light and want to sell the spoiler ;)

or buy the one of dinkus and mod it up to sell :wink: