Sign in to follow this  
Dub_nut_g60

how many revs till what temp?

ok guys,

Ive read some posts where people have mentioned that they dont take the revs over 3K untill the engine temp is about 90.

I understand the principle behind it and like other i wont over rev the engine until its nice and wam, but was just curious about other peoples habits as to the revs they use until the engine hits a certain temp.

I havent had the C too long and as its starting to get alot colder in the mornings i want to make sure im taking the best care of her i can!

Andy

its the oil temp you need to watch aswell mate.

I dont drive mine over 3k revs untill i see 86deg on the oil temp (( 5 presses on the MFA ))

i never go over 3 untill the oil has gone past 86 and 95% of the time it never really goes over 2.5, till then, to be honest tho untill the the car has been running for a while and the oil is upto 96-98 i never really go above 3.5 as i just love my car to much.... :oops:

The majority of it is about protecting the engine from excessive oil pressure. While it's cold, at high revs the pressures get amazingly high, far higher than they ever would at working temp, even if driven like a loon.

The oil temp on the Corrado is a really good tool to have, but what would be even better for this purpose is to have an oil *pressure* gauge.

yeah..my old merc had a pressure gauge, its suprising more cars don't have one....but then again, most car owners couldn't give two hoots about their oil temp,pressure,level, or anything else as long as it starts when they turn the key!>

dr_mat, what level would you expect to see oil pressure get to before going above 3500? I have a guage i'm not getting round to fitting!

My car does generally go above 3500 before 86 deg, as i'm not far from the dual carridgeway i go to work on.. however if im stuck in traffic im okay!

I only wait until my oil gets to 80. Some cars don't run much above this anyway so waiting until 86 is perhaps a little over cautious. The oil only has to become less viscous, it doesn't have to be at "racing" temperature

well ive(touch wood) hadn't had any oil-related/engine probs with mine and i "only" limit my revs to under 3k until the engine oil temp is showing anything over 72 deg C

I always used to wait till 80 centigrade before getting ambitious with the loud pedal. The MK4 doesn't actually have an oil temp thingy oddly so I just have to go on the water temp. I wait till its sitting on 90 before giving it any major amounts of stick. Not that it matters much with a diesel.. all you get is more noise and more smoke ;)

cheers for all that guys! most appreciated!!

I tend to keep my revs below 3K until the oil temp hits around 80. so looks like i havent been over cautious or attempting to blow the thing up!! just wanted to check, what with the cooler temps starting to creep in!!

ok guys,

Ive read some posts where people have mentioned that they dont take the revs over 3K untill the engine temp is about 90.

I understand the principle behind it and like other i wont over rev the engine until its nice and wam, but was just curious about other peoples habits as to the revs they use until the engine hits a certain temp.

I havent had the C too long and as its starting to get alot colder in the mornings i want to make sure im taking the best care of her i can!

Andy

My handbook just states to not drive the car hard until the oil temp registers on the MFA (50 deg), It probably makes little difference but I tend to wait till nearer 80 before hammering it.

I have a pressure guage and idle pressure doesn't drop from well over 4 bar until the oil's getting close to 80. Then you get a nice movement from 2 to 5 on the gauge as you accelerate from idle to 4000+ rpm, so the oil has obviously changed by this point.

David.

So I'm being too cautious when I'm driving miss daisy about the place waiting for 90+ to come on my MFA before giving it some am I?

Although I've just had a full head rebuild too so I stayed below the 3k revs for ages to wear in the tappets, seals etc. But it's all good now, although I really dont find the need to go over 4.5k anyway? not the roads around here!!!

I have heard that at 3k rpm on cold oil, the pressures are upwards of 8 bar, whereas, as davidwort says, even at the redline with hot oil you're unlikely to see more than 5 bar.

And I've no idea what happens if you redline it with cold oil!!

So I'm being too cautious when I'm driving miss daisy about the place waiting for 90+ to come on my MFA before giving it some am I?

Although I've just had a full head rebuild too so I stayed below the 3k revs for ages to wear in the tappets, seals etc. But it's all good now, although I really dont find the need to go over 4.5k anyway? not the roads around here!!!

It's a 16v, all the power is over 4.5K :lol:

Cane it, it does it good :twisted:

David.

As for running engines in, there is a school of thought (who have some good points to back it up) that says a brand new engine should spend it's first 200 miles working VERY VERY HARD (once properly warmed up, of course), rather than the standard molly coddling they tend to get..

On tests they found engines treated like this had better ring seal, lasted longer, were smoother and produced more power..

On my VR6, oil temp is dashes --

until temp reaches 50C when digits appear.

My routine is to have MFA set on oil temp reading as soon as I have started, then switch it to mpg (thrifty old fool that I am) when it reaches about 80C then speed up to 45mph on motorways, etc. :roll: :evil:

As for running engines in, there is a school of thought (who have some good points to back it up) that says a brand new engine should spend it's first 200 miles working VERY VERY HARD (once properly warmed up, of course), rather than the standard molly coddling they tend to get..

On tests they found engines treated like this had better ring seal, lasted longer, were smoother and produced more power..

Well the hire company that gave me a brand new passat with delivery miles will be pleased to hear i've caned the arse off it then! Its now done 600 miles of very hard work :twisted: :twisted:

I try and let her warm up but lets face it is often no possible when you live near fast roads etc.. Also my car has no power till about 3K so it has to be done to pull out etc some times.

Mind you once its halfway water and 80+ oil she gets living hell removed via the gearbox lol ;-)

I did have a mk5 golf with one of those fancy double clutch auto boxes as a hire car. Came to me with 57 Miles and left with 650 and a slightly slipping auto box that seemed to jerk a bit on take off

:?:

I have had a bora 130bhp tdi for the last year and a half (from new) and I have absolutley screwed the knackers off it from day one. There are a number of people in the company fleet who drive like pansies and their cars have the worst oil consumption. Mine is about the best in the fleet (12 cars)

p.s. I never let it warm up either, it gets walloped from turn of the key and it loves it mu hu hu ha ha ha haaaaaa!

I bought my Ninja new a coupe of years ago and was advised from several sources to open it up when warm BEFORE she was fully broken in and serviced.

I took her to 6-8000 rpm regularly when breaking her in and the book stated no more than 4000rpm. She loved it too.

A lot of bikes that are broken in by the book actually product less power later in life than those that were *used* during this period. I presume the same will apply to car engines?

Anyhow, I also live close to the highway so usually let the car idle on my drive for 10 minutes before setting of to work. If the oil temp is above 70 then I open her up to about 4000, above 90 she gets caned!!

Dutch

Some of us lucky ones of course do have an oil pressure gauge in the centre console :D

Oil pressure from cold is at least 4bar at idle (and thats in the summer- bet its fair whack more at below freezing), whereas at warm it looks more like 1.5bar. So yes- I guess if you ragged it from cold you could be looking at 8bar plus :shock:

Anyhow, I also live close to the highway so usually let the car idle on my drive for 10 minutes before setting of to work. If the oil temp is above 70 then I open her up to about 4000, above 90 she gets caned!!

It does say in the owners manual not to let the car warm up while idoling...not sure why though.