Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

The front lambdas are widebands and these are used for the gas analysis, fuel correction etc. The rear ones are simply there to tell you if your cat is working and nothing else, hence PSI did away with them. The ECU only throws the car into limp mode if the widebands are not operating properly, as the rear operating does not put the engine in any danger. Make sure that PSI have put the Widebands the correct distance away from the ports, it's quite critical within reason - a cm or two doesn't matter but a 300mm does matter. Is your CAT working ok? Was your old engine using oil? it may have ruined your CAT. Hope you get it sorted buddy.

The more I find out about the Custom code stuff the less I like.

Beginning to wish i hadnt bothered with the remap!

Hi fellas,

Ive been following this thread for ages and for those of you who dont know i have put a r32 lump from a mk4 into my mk2 golf. Got it running yesterday :D. Was bloody loud without the exhaust on though. I just have a couple of questions - the car was running fine but i had a small problem with the auxilary belt.

It seemed to sieze and then got caught up and split - The belt was from GSF and was for a non air con 24v. However it seemed a bit wide. Does anyone know the part number for the belt that i need please.

The r32 loom has been integrated into my vr loom - water temp light is continually flashing - should i use the r32 water sensor wiring or should the vr loom one do the job ( i have the vr one plugged in but it does not seem to be doing much ) hence the question.

Just to add im using standard ECU with immobiliser defeat and am gonna be using all the lamdas etc for the meanwhile.

ta

Fraiser

you need to put an instrument water temp sensor onto the R32 (one of the ports will have a blank in it), can't remember which colour it is though- yellow I think? I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you soon....

Has anyone got the part numbers for the 2 lambda's I need to run for my Mk5 R32 please.

I just posted about this in my gallery thread but might as well ask in here as well. The 2 I need are the REAR ones right which are PRE cat? To me pre cat is after the exhaust manifold and before the cat and post being after cat and out the exhaust? And these 2 lambda's are wideband which are different to the front 2 or are they all the same lambda?

Also another thing to clarify, with the PAS set up on the MK5 I have a 4mo bracket and tensione so I can run it all as is on the 4mo/VR. I heard I run the VR PAS pump but use a 4mo pulley, is that correct? What size belt would I use, standard 12v (non-aircon) belt or standard 4mo (non-aircon) belt?

Cheers :)

here ya go mate, you need a 6pk1624 belt i think it cost me about £2.50 with my halfords trade card.

Has anyone got the part numbers for the 2 lambda's I need to run for my Mk5 R32 please.

I just posted about this in my gallery thread but might as well ask in here as well. The 2 I need are the REAR ones right which are PRE cat? To me pre cat is after the exhaust manifold and before the cat and post being after cat and out the exhaust? And these 2 lambda's are wideband which are different to the front 2 or are they all the same lambda?

Cheers :)

The rear ones are post cat, and not necessarily required, they just tell you if the CAT is ok.

The front ones pre cat and wideband- they are required for the engine to operate. You should try and position them on your new manifold within a few cm of the donor vechicle's position.

I have a pair of widebands that came off a 3.2, £70 for the pair posted. They came on a downpipe I bought and surplus to requirement.

I also have one rear lambda ( I just sold the other one today :( ) for the same car.

The rear ones are post cat, and not necessarily required, they just tell you if the CAT is ok.

The front ones pre cat and wideband- they are required for the engine to operate. You should try and position them on your new manifold within a few cm of the donor vechicle's position.

I have a pair of widebands that came off a 3.2, £70 for the pair posted. They came on a downpipe I bought and surplus to requirement.

I also have one rear lambda ( I just sold the other one today :( ) for the same car.

Ahh so front ones I need then! Confuses me, but now I know :lol:

Are the lambdas you have the ones I need? I think they are the same across a range of VW/Audi cars aren't they? If they are the ones I need then I'll have them off ya :)

All the lambdas from MK4 on are wideband. The main differences between Audi, MK4 and MK5 lambdas is the connector shape and wire length. You need to make sure the ones kip has plug into your MK5's harness, but if not, it's not a difficult task snipping the incorrect plug off and putting the right one on. Plugs and pins available from the dealer for all loom connectors for all cars.

Here are some pics for you mate. LH & RH wideband lambda's. You can tell they are widebands because you have an extra 2 wires (6 in total) in there for the ecg pump, a wideband sensor is much faster acting than a regular lambda. To change the plugs as Kev says is really easy.

Yeah I reckon they are the right plugs for his MK5 loom.

I think there are so many wires in these lambdas because the front ones are also used for EGT (Exhaust gas temp) measurement I believe? That is VW's current fuelling strategy. Run the engine as lean as f'ck until EGT hits 850 (probably a tad lower on NA engines) then throw in fuel :D

I've not seen a seperate EGT probe in any 1.8Ts or R32s, but I do know the ECU monitors it, so must be in the wideband?

Yeah I reckon they are the right plugs for his MK5 loom.

I think there are so many wires in these lambdas because the front ones are also used for EGT (Exhaust gas temp) measurement I believe? That is VW's current fuelling strategy. Run the engine as lean as f'ck until EGT hits 850 (probably a tad lower on NA engines) then throw in fuel :D

I've not seen a seperate EGT probe in any 1.8Ts or R32s, but I do know the ECU monitors it, so must be in the wideband?

There are three types of Lambda's Non heated 3 wire (not really used any more), Heated four wire, and wideband 6 wire.

The difference between a wideband and a normal 4 wire is that it has an electrochemical gas pump in it which to cut a long story short enables a much faster response time. The extra two wires are for the +ve feed to the pump, and a resister that draws current to keep it in a constant state (it's this current that provides a reading in the same way a MAF works) :D

Cheers Kip, you learn something every day :D

I need to look into the EGT further as Stealth's R32 Bora Turbo is able to read EGT, but there's no EGT probe anywhere, just the factory wideband!

Cheers Kip, you learn something every day :D

I need to look into the EGT further as Stealth's R32 Bora Turbo is able to read EGT, but there's no EGT probe anywhere, just the factory wideband!

that's a nice touch - is that just through VAG-COM?

Hi guys

I'm sure if I trawl through this thread top to bottom I'd find everything but I'm going to ask anyway. Can someone do my a list of exactly what I need to fit the 4motion engine? Cheers.

Mic

I think Kev and Herisites are going to do just that this summer.

Apologies if this has already been answered, but what is the feasilbility of transplanting a complete R32 including gearbox into the C? presumably some issues will arise as the R32 is 4wd? Just want to keep it FWD....plus AUTO!!

By whole R32 what do you mean, the dash etc?

By far the easiest option is just to bolt the 3.2 up to your auto box.

i dont like teh standard auto, its just not that efficient, you feel immense power loss in the lower gears. Did the R32 come in an auto? Ideally i would like to transplant the whole lot, either with the dash or retaining the corrado dash.

That's what i'm trying to find out too Tom, though the sound of the 3.2 is far nicer than the 2.8. Certainly souunds more than 35bhp more. The VR also sounds more brutal than its more efficient upgrade.

Yup, but the 2.8 auto box would bolt straight on to an R32, and be more modern, and take the power better than the aged VR auto box no doubt.