Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Apologies, just found his thread and it doesn't look like he used air con. I have seen it done though

Thank you

Also using the vr6 cooling set up, does the24v aux water pump flow the same way as the 12v

Also which way round do the heater matrix pipes go on? Please

You can use the old 12v or new cooling parts. The aux pump from a 24v has the new rounded plug iirc so you'd need to adapt it, otherwise it's the same.

It doesn't really matter which way they flow, the cooler is symmetrical inside. I just hooked mine up in the most convenient way and my temps are really low all the time. Hth

Well nearly 1500miles in

Has anyone Els noticed the front of the car be slightly higher with the 24v in instead of the 12v?

Also I used to have a exhaust drone between 1500rpm-2500rpm which has gone(thank god)

Happyer that it's quieter in the cabin now

and it works a treat on the 12v obd2 ECU with the 12v sensor but the cam sensor needs a spacer

And use the injectors and plugs from the 24v

No trouble codes no funny behaviour

I do feel the manifold cat and exhaust is restricting a bit due to size

Any questions feel free to ask

Lol, you won't get any fault codes from the OBD2 ECU because it doesn't know it's not hooked up to a 12V.

Happy that it works-ish for you, but it ain't how a 24V is supposed to be and won't be running anywhere near as optimally.

I know but when they had it to do the immobiliser they said it was shot(water damage) and with being away from longer than expected I had to try it, time was the enemy I already had dash out doing matrix too

if it's possible to run turbos and supercharges on the ecu this can't be that bad, admitted not optimum

Mapping is essential

It's going to stealth to see how it's running when I get the chance

But I think a built mk4 r32 head dta on a 2.8 would be nice

Shame no one is near northamton to see this work in progress

I have a 3.2 head for sale, in fact I have a full 3.2 engine for sale. Bottom end was run dry so crank is shot but engine itself looks usable.

Is yours the later mk5 head?

I've read somewhere that they have more adjustment on the vvt than the mk4??

Need to decide if it's going to be dta or something

Need to get more info on the combustion chamber cc on all the 24v heads

main focus at the moment is trying to find a good manifold/downpipe to have some actual gains

Then the map

Well nearly 1500miles in

Has anyone Els noticed the front of the car be slightly higher with the 24v in instead of the 12v?

Also I used to have a exhaust drone between 1500rpm-2500rpm which has gone(thank god)

Happyer that it's quieter in the cabin now

and it works a treat on the 12v obd2 ECU with the 12v sensor but the cam sensor needs a spacer

And use the injectors and plugs from the 24v

No trouble codes no funny behaviour

I do feel the manifold cat and exhaust is restricting a bit due to size

Any questions feel free to ask

Well done mate. Opens the 24v up for a quick weekend swap for some 12v owners.... Would be interested to see the results from stealth

Well done mate. Opens the 24v up for a quick weekend swap for some 12v owners.... Would be interested to see the results from stealth

Thank you

Booked in @stealth

Is yours an AUE?

MK5 has same VVT adjustment as MK4 (52 deg advance on the inlet and 22 deg on the exhaust) but the cam sensors are different and so is the mapping. On the MK4 the exhaust VVT is either fully on or fully off during warm-up, but on the MK5, it's more variable. MK5 seems to have a much more aggressive inlet map too.

As for fitting a 3.2 head onto your AUE, there are head bolt differences. 10mm on the 3.2 and 11 or 12mm for the 2.8, I can't remember. The 3.2 has massively better combustion chambers, bigger valves etc etc. You will need fixed VVT sprockets seeing as your ECU can't control the normal ones. Jon at Stealth can get a set of those. They're like vernier pulleys from the good old days and can be fixed half way for 26 deg advance, or 3/4, up to you really.

You will also need the 3.2 intake and then the coils because there's no room to run HT leads on that intake. That will mean some modification to the ignition side on the OBD2 loom / ECU, although not sure that will work. It worked on my DTA S80 though.

It's all doable though.

Yeah the engine at the moment is an AUE

i will want to have vvt with the r32 head so will need an ecu to control it plus widebands

From experience I know how adjusting cam timing can Change a car

For some reason I feel there is so much to be gained from vvt

But you need to have a good exhaust manifold for exhaust scavenging

Plus if I go turbo I won't neeed to lower my static C/R (can change the dynamic C/R)

The engine is an A3 which from what I've read is basically a mk5 base engine. Think we had the conversation before but for some reason it wasn't suitable, anyway, its there if your interested.

The AUE engine has vvt only on the inlet cam

The bde has vvt on both

If your going to go through the hassle of doing the wiring your a lot better off getting the right loom and ECU specially for the later engines

I'm guessing if you were to use the aue wiring+ecu on a bde engine your idle will be horrible as the exhaust cam will be full retard

Plus imo coil on plug is the better choice than a single coil pack

Some size of a thread!!! Great to know there's a wealth of knowledge on the engine swap in here if I'm stuck with my 24v.

For anybody active on the thread - I know the manifold is a mix up of Corrado VR part and Golf 4mo part. Does anybody do a stainless manifold and is it easy enough to get a decat fitted? Are there any implications other than noise levels and next MOT I should be considering?

Thanks guys.

My manifold and decat is a dub power one... Not sure if they're still trading but they're good!

Regarding mot - if yours is before 95, the emissions are graded by engine using a database. If the exact engine code is not on their database (so originally corrado and abv for the vr) then it's treated as a non-cat vehicle and tested accordingly. Therefore a 24v corrado converted can pass the mot legally with no cats. Hth