Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

NO GRIP!

Ok, So ive bought a set of 17 inch wheels with 205/40 17 tyres on them. Since ive fitted them about a month and half ago, ive noticed that ive lost grip up front. At first i put it down to new tyre needing the top layer of rubber wearing off and theyd get better with use. But NOPE, they havent, change the pressure to a lower PSI of 30 and theyre still cr@p. Any Ideas??

Now i know the front pass side needs swapping for the rear drivers side cos the treads are facing the wrong way, can this affect handling even in damp or dry conditions. I also though the road was just greasy or slippy cos of cold. But even on a dry day the grip is crap.

I sometimes do a short wheel spin if going off at speed. If i put my foot down the steering goes light and i can feel the tyres not gripping with light handling. Or a fast corner, the wheels will turn but car doesn't go round corner with out sliding a bit. Feels like car is on ice.

Any idea welcome, will changing the front round help??? Only reason i havent done it yet is that i hit a pothole and im claiming dent in rim of front pass wheel and they may want to come look at wheel. OR something, so they say :?:

I'd try the following...

1. Get the tyres going in the right direction[/*:m:c6205]
  2. Make sure you've got decent tyres on[/*:m:c6205]
  3. Get a 4-wheel alignment done (the 17's will have a slightly different rolling radius to the 15's, so the alignment will be out slightly)[/*:m:c6205]

sorry ive edited a sentence i put in the first post to "the wheels will turn but car DOESN'T go round the corner without sliding. Feels like car is on ice." rather then what i implied which was the total opposite.

Oh and Catch_Twotwo, that was noted about the "best tyre" debate.

Get it alligned. Seriously. My Corrado when I got it had sh!t tyres on but still gripped like B!ggery. Something's wrong even with cr!p tyres if she's sliding.

Geometry alignment is the toe, castor and camber ajustment ;) (look it up if you want to find out more :lol: )

The best type is a 4-wheel laser alignment rig, which most bodyshops will have. Don't bother taking it to ATS et al for an alignment cos they'll just move the problem somewhere else rather than actually fixing it.

And good tyres - if you have heard of the brand and/or can pronounce it then it's probably good.

For example Marangoni, Kwik Fit, Black Hawk, Ditchfinder Special, Falken and "Tire" are not good tyres :lol:

Bridgestone, Goodyear, Pirelli, Michelin, Toyo, Yokohama etc are.

Critical_Mass, Mate, I never have any grip. My car spins in 3rd or is that thanks to darren?

The roads are very greasy at the moment, doesn't matter if you accelerating, braking or cornering hard, if the road surface doesn't offer much grip you will not have much grip!

I'm finding it very slippery at the moment, I have Pirellis on the front and Toyo's on the back.

gradeAfailure, They were fantasic in the summer.. They survived me driving hard since april and still have loads of grip left!

Yeah true Phil, but at least good tyres will give you more of a chance. Oh and catch_twotwo, you werent wrong were you LOL :lol:

Trouble is i cant change the wheel yet until i hear from the council. If they want to see wheel that was damaged they will question why its on the back. Dont want to hurt my chances of them paying for it.

Yeah true Phil, but at least good tyres will give you more of a chance. Oh and catch_twotwo, you werent wrong were you LOL :lol:

Well by law of averages at least once in my life I had to be right about something. I was hoping it was going to be lottery numbers, but what the hell..

I hate to add to the "What tyre" discussion by mentioning a tyre brand, but I'm getting some new 17's tomorrow with Hankook rubber.... Looks like as I'm dropping the suspension 40mm as well I'm gonna need my alignment done. So.... where should I get this done. VW quoted me about £280 for 4 wheel alignment. Although that was a compare price as I doubt I'd let them near my car.... but it's a high price.

So anybody know somewhere near Southend that can do this without ripping my arm off in the process.