Sign in to follow this  
dubkiller

easy to work on

...ok, I've no idea why this is related to the interior, but I have no rust at all on my motor. It must be bad breath or whatever, but them rust germs sure aren't bothering me ;D

New cars are for pussies, anyways.

I didn't had any rust on any of the 4 raddos I had, if you try and get a front wing off you'l see how much underseal they used when they put these cars together, about 2 bloody inches of the stuff!

There was rust underneath the spoiler on one raddo I went to look at years ago, but other than that i've not seen it.

The only rust i've got is a little bit on the rear numberplate light (under the spoiler).

Yeah, i've heard that rust can appear there occationaly. The rust I found was literaly under the spoiler.

Worth checking both areas when buying.

The only rust i've got is a little bit on the rear numberplate light (under the spoiler).

Mines the same and seen a few with the same issue > perhaps they borrowed some spanish steel, other than that mines clean.

compared to modern motors ,the corrado is a doddle to work on.

Try a Scirocco, now that's a doddle to work on, even compared to a Rado, well a US-spec one with a bl**dy full engine bay, anyway :lol:

Rusty nuts and bolts? Yes, love 'm, especially the horrid Allen type :mad:

anyone treated/painted over it?

Yes, but make sure you first sand the spot down to bare metal, treat it with some rust protectant (Jenolite or similar), then prime, and repaint. That has kept the rust away on pretty much all of my 3 Karmann type 53s.

My Rado did have some more minor rust-spots: Right front wing right next to the headlight, bottom side of doors (stonechips not treated by previous owners), bottom left corner rear windscreen (still needs to be treated, but waiting for a couple of dry summer days), slampanel, battery tray, roof where it slopes down to run gutter of the rear hatch ... just to name a few more points worth checking. Every minor rust spot is very visible on mine, as it's white :lol:

Tempest

That piece of metal is less than a fiver from VAG!

Lucky so far,Ive got a tiny bubble on the wing front arch,must have been a stone chip,but treating once the salt is gone.

as for underneath waxoyl,even the engine bay has been done

I have some rust developing where I had a little disagreement with a low wall.

Is there any temporary type stuff I can put on it just to stop the rust until we can afford to get it done properly??

Depending how big it is... sand it down and use a touch - up pen (£2 Halfords mixed) or if it's got bad just hamerite it to stop it getting any further...

inch or two long scratch, deep enough to touch metal, is starting to rust now. What do I sand it with? Normal sandpaper? or is there some special sandpaper that I'm supposed to use?

Persanally I wouldn't use Hammerite on place like the above-mentioned scratch. Better to sand down, then apply a coat of Jenolite rust-proof (or similar), primer on top, then the final paint (and clear coat, if the paint is a metallic or perlescent).

Tempest

I have a couple of small rust spots on my vr6, the biggest of which is the size of a 2p coin and its just above the rear vr6 badge.

The thin piece of metal connected to the chassis which joins with the bumper and splitter was also pretty rusty when i took my bumper off.

i have a 10p sized bubbly bit on the inside of my boot lid... its right in the middle... seems like a weird bit to go rusty... :roll:

Quote:The only rust i've got is a little bit on the rear numberplate light (under the spoiler).

That piece of metal is less than a fiver from VAG!

Does anybody have a part number?

Just spoken to VAG - they say 41.77!!!+vat??? (Pt. No.535813989)

535 943 127 is what you're looking for.

The part they quoted you for is the black plastic bit that goes behind the number plate, which is, as I found out, horrifically expensive.