Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Mileage

Just wondering what people get for mileage at work (assuming you use your car for work)

I get 37p a mile and its not enough as thats to pay for everything. Theres no allowance on top of that.

Its the same for all, regardless of type of car.

Which is exactly why we all put 150miles down if we've done 100. Can't afford not to.

I've always worked on the basic princilble that 10% is generally exceptable for over calculating business milage :lol:

I'm fairly sure that the AA worked out (some years ago) that the average running cost for a vehicle was 42p per mile - it might be worth looking up their website to see if they have a newer calculation of this as your employer may consider raising the cost if it's a proven statistic...

My girlfriend gets 40p per mile but she drives a Ford Ka which costs about half as much to run as a Corrado!

I get 40p per mile, which just covers it if I have to use the C! Fortunately that's very rare, so hooning about in a 1.7TD Corsa van is usually order of the day... :lol:

If you get less than 40p a mile you can claim the difference in tax relief.

So, if you get 10p a mile you get 30p a mile tax relief....so the taxman owes you the tax you'd have paid on that 30p. If you're paying 25% tax, that's 7.5p per mile in tax rebate you'll be owed.

I get 40p a mile for the Rado when using it for work (all the time) and thought it wasn't too bad. Still thinking of selling it and buying a Diesel in the summer. I've no where to keep a third car.

40p per mile. I travelled from East Essex (near Southend) to Cardiff and back in a day and that came to £160 on my expenses with food and bits.

I should point out it has got better since I got put on a proper company car scheme - which I immediately opted out of, on the basis I'd rather pay deprecitation on a second hand car I liked than a tax burden on a brand new Astra or the like!

This may be of use AA Motoring costs

Seems that 40p a mile is fair enough if you drive a cheap little runnabout but for Corrado's it's a bit more, but then it's our choice to drive these machines.. :)

Exactly - it's your choice.

I get 14p a mile ... but then I get a car allowance which is supposed to cover the running costs of the car. Hah! With an ageing VR6? No chance!

If I take into account all my standing charges, petrol cost and a very conservative £250 p.a. for 'maintenance' (could easily be that in tyres alone) then my C is costing 35p/mile.

If it was to include my actual expenditure on parts then it would be err rather more...

Insurance, road tax, servicing costs, replacing worn parts and don't forget the big one - depreciation. This is the one most VR6 owners don't really need to be overly-concerned with, and one of the benefits :)

That's why, when I chose my "sensible" car, I opted for something 3 years old - someone else has paid roughly half the depreciation on the car.

+ insurance as well dont forget!

Yeah, that would include...

MOT

Road tax

Insurance

Breakdown cover (expensive one with relay!)

Petrol at 95p/litre

£250 of annual maintenance (which is probably too low, but it's a bare minimum number)

8,000 miles