Sign in to follow this  
gradeAfailure

Looks like the 'rat might get saved! Opinions..

Well, the 'rat went to The Phirm to have the suspension and brake lines replaced for the MOT...

Got a call from them saying that the rear bushes are totally shot and will need replacing, which is looking at costing £350 (£100 for OE bushes cos you can't get polys and 5hrs labour to fit); also, most of the metal brake lines are in need of replacement, and she's chucking out loads of oil smoke on startup and overrun...

I don't have the time or money at the moment to be able to get the work done or do it myself, so it looks like I have no other option but to break my first ever dub...

Just gutted... :(

Yeah, unless I can find some people to help me do the work...

I could probably source a head from a scrappy and port/polish it myself and get new valve guides pressed in, and fit new stem seals. How much work is it to swap heads over?

I think the sticking point is the rear beam bushes - The Phirm said it looks different to the C and looks like at least 4-5hrs work taking the beam off and pressing new bushes in...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

if theres a way to save her we will.... don't want to see her go to the big scrapyard in the sky.... :(

Dave, sorry matey just got your text - have been stuck in frickin' meetings all morning. Bad news on the 'rat, it'd be a shame to see it broken knowing what effort you've put into it already. If you had the time/money/desire I'd keep it and work on it as a project. A spare beam to work on must be easy enough to come by, and the head swap isn't too much of a drama...

Either way, sorry to hear about your bad news :(

Such a shame, really nice car. My mate Simon was really looking forward to buying it.

Can't you get rear bushes from GSF? Just seems so wrong to scrap a car like this due to needing a couple of suspension bushes.

Cylinder heads are not too bad to change, on my old 8v Gti it took 2.5 hours from driving the car into the garage to lifting off the head. And I was working on my own without any help. I wouldn't bother porting/polishing the head, just do what it needs to get it running properly, particularly if you would still plan to sell it.

Got to be worth shopping around for prices for the rear beam bushes.

Would be a shame to break such a nice looking car... Dave I'm happy to help you with anything that needs doing - and you know you're more than welcome to do the work on my folks drive with the use of all the tools 8)

Give me a buzz later and we can chew over the options...

gradeAfailure, There you go, a very generous offer from Phil K.

If you can remove the cylinder head, you can definately remove and refit a rear beam. I've done loads cylinder head changes on 8v VW engines, and only done the bushes once, and I'd rather do the bushes than the head. :lol: I prefer bush to head :?

I did my rear bushes in 1 day, including knocking out the old ones and pressing in the new ones. Why not remove the beam yourself, get the firm to fit new bushes, and then refit the beam. That has to drastically reduce costs.

I didn't say that I know what I'm doing or have any decent tools though ;) :lol:

Dave you know how many times my dad and I had the head off the mk1 - I really can't see it being any harder to do than that... plus if it's only for a week or so I'm sure they wouldn't mind it sitting on the drive - it's not like my C's there at the moment :D

It sounds like a perfect 20vT recipient to me. It's definitely worth something to someone. If that's all that's wrong with it...and I suspect it is.

we'll get her fixed, even if it is seriously a case of beans on toast for a month...

I dont see how the smoke is a prob, she's always given a puff of smoke on start up, and from driving behind you last night it was no worse.... if the other place - who were definately very picky about the mot - will pass the emmissions then get it checked but it may not even be a prob...

we'll get the garage cleared, tuck her away in there and take the rear beam off and see what can be done.... :)

we'll have an Audi we can sell if needs must.... :)

Dave- gutted to hear this...

I'm more than happy to lend a hand with anything that needs doing and I've got 'some' tools..... ......I'm no motor mechanic mind but with three of us at it we could have a good crack at doing it...

Al.

Cheers guys... :oops: I guess in times of trouble you realise how many good friends you have :)

She's not getting broken though - a plan is forming! Hopefully...

Dave i can pop down to bridges for ya to have a look for some bits if u need as im only 2 mins away, or anything i can do for ya

wow furks, you feeling ok?? since when you start helping others man?? yo come to MK I got plenty you can do for us... fack you up for life lol

Dave goodluck mate, the Rats a cool motor.. hope with the help of everyone you get it sorted... noticed when I got myn MOT'd few wks ago how hardcore MOT testers are now! to anal abt silly things!!

bally this guys needs proper help not like you, you need a bloody miracle,,, plus your just looking remember :wink:

Fella, the bushes are a tenner each from GSF, and my mechanic (is in rake, near liphook about 40 mins form me, and you) charged me 290 quid to replace both my wishbones, supply and fit new ball joint and anti roll bar links, replace both rear axle bushes, and supply and fit new brake hoses as well as a few other little things tidyed up here and there!

Hes a shi* hot mechanic, and nos what hes talking about, and his hourly rate is only about £36 a hour, he said he had right nightmare with me car as well, and was there till 7 at night fixing it as he was away the next week!!

So, sorry no excuses!!! Let us no if you want his number?

ANDY

bally this guys needs proper help not like you' date=' you need a bloody miracle,,, plus your just looking remember :wink:[/quote']

:lol: no comment

Back to the topic :D

Awww, cheers guys... :)

It looks like I may not be under as much pressure, so I should be able to put the car in my garage and do the bushes myself - though I'd have to get round the fact that I don't have the correct tool!

Andy, if you could PM me your guy's number as it may come in handy as a backup!