Sign in to follow this  
djmac56

Help - Have I Killed my VR6?

Hi All,

I am rather sad to admit I haven't looked at my VR6's oil levels since Christmas, and today when my car didn't start I realised it was totally empty of oil. I shoved 2 litres of oil in, and when I tried to start it, there was a loud pop like backfiring.

The recovery bloke said I'm getting a backdraft from sucking in air and that it would need to go to a garage tomorrow for work to be done.

He said that potentially, since the engine can run for a few hundred miles without oil, it could have been getting damaged for a few weeks.

What's everyone's opinion? What damage might I be looking at? How much might it cost? Can anyone please recommend some decent garages within 10 miles of Weybridge, Surrey (as far as my insurance will allow me to get it flatbedded on a lorry).

I promise never to let that happen again once I've got this repaired!

Cheers,

Mark

hay a white corrado. sweet. - me too. erm potentialy. bottom end bearings cam bearings. oil pump. -,may have cracked a cylinder.? good luck.

I'm In Weybridge - near Egham / Woking / Kingston type of neck of the woods.

I can't believe I was so stupid. I love my car, am dead proud of it and am gutted beyond belief. It's like a kind of grief I'm feeling, plus the worry about what it's going to cost!

Reckon you'll be changing the sig soon!!!

Oh no! I hope not. Jeez, this could be the most expensive mistake I've ever made.

I have no idea why the oil light and buzzer didn't come on. I'm hoping that's a good sign and that it has cut out without too much knackered.

Good news - she's on the road again. £400 pounds lighter in the wallet department, but the guy reckons by ECU was sending the engine a load of nonsense. He reckoned that a lot of leaves and water had got in past the seal, so he said I need to keep it dry. He also reckoned I may be missing some sort of cover (something begining with 'p') that keeps leaves, water, old matresses and small birds nests out of that bit of the car.

I'll understand if no-one has any idea what I mean, and will have a look through the forum to see if anyone else has asked this before.

there is a cover,but it only cover the ecu area,there is a group buy through audioscape for a full lengh scuttle cover(its in the group buy section)

There's a huge orange rubber seal inside the ECU plug that keeps it water tight. You might want to check it's there, sometimes they fall out if people fiddle with the connections.

Hi All,

He said that potentially, since the engine can run for a few hundred miles without oil, it could have been getting damaged for a few weeks.

Mark

BTW an engine can not run a few hunderd miles without oil. You would be lucky to get 1/4 mile. Make sure to check your oil every time you fill with gas.

Depends how hard you drive, and what you mean by "without oil". When the warning light comes on you almost certainly still have oil, just not enough to be safe if the engine is worked hard...

Good news - she's on the road again. £400 pounds lighter in the wallet department, but the guy reckons by ECU was sending the engine a load of nonsense. He reckoned that a lot of leaves and water had got in past the seal, so he said I need to keep it dry. He also reckoned I may be missing some sort of cover (something begining with 'p') that keeps leaves, water, old matresses and small birds nests out of that bit of the car.

I'll understand if no-one has any idea what I mean, and will have a look through the forum to see if anyone else has asked this before.

What did you get for your £400 then? a new ECU? on my old mk2 gti the ECU connector got wet and corroded but it cleaned up fine with some emery cloth. The mechanic seems a bit vague in what he's trying to say! the 'scuttle' area where the ECU sits can get flooded if the drainage holes get blocked up (located in each corner near the bonnet hinges) its worth checking and cleaning them out regulary, if they are blocked they can help water find its way inside the car too :roll:

there is a cover,but it only cover the ecu area,there is a group buy through audioscape for a full lengh scuttle cover(its in the group buy section)

Full length scuttle cover? sounds like the wife's grundies!

Full length scuttle cover? sounds like the wife's grundies!

dont scare me any more my :pale: , bet your wife dosnt know you just posted that last remark :D